Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Disclaimer: not to influence anyone, but today I have closed all of my TSLA holding in my 401k. The reason is I don't have full trading permission since it is a 401k so I couldn't hedge to the the degree I want. I rather out before I can access the situation clearly.

It has been a great 4 months ride and my performance is 6x overall, considering the time I started on that account the stock was at about $45-50, and I started a small portion of the account in the begining. I did well.

I still have my regular account on TSLA.

Last edited:
Up 2% now when the Nasdaq is down 1.64%. Makes me wonder where it would be if the markets werent rolling over from the threat of another Middle East conflict.

I bet she'd be over 170. The overall market volumes are way down and yet TSLA's volumes are way up. Perhaps some solid institutional money is getting into involved and spreading themselves out over a few days.

So this past Sunday I took my wife to the Tesla Menlo Park showroom. The wife already has a reservation on a Model X, which she placed around 02/13, and her reservation number was around 4,000. Anyways, while at the showroom, I was really tempted to order a Model S, 60 kWh, no options other than red paint. Just under $80K out the door. Will get $10K back from Uncle Sam and CA tax refund. So $70K for the car.

Anyways, the rep said right now the wait time is around a month. But after Wednesday it may be longer, as cars are being shipped overseas. So the wait time should increase after end of August.

Hope this gives you some ideas on the demand, and make informed investment decisions.

Good luck all.

So this past Sunday I took my wife to the Tesla Menlo Park showroom. The wife already has a reservation on a Model X, which she placed around 02/13, and her reservation number was around 4,000. Anyways, while at the showroom, I was really tempted to order a Model S, 60 kWh, no options other than red paint. Just under $80K out the door. Will get $10K back from Uncle Sam and CA tax refund. So $70K for the car.

Anyways, the rep said right now the wait time is around a month. But after Wednesday it may be longer, as cars are being shipped overseas. So the wait time should increase after end of August.

Hope this gives you some ideas on the demand, and make informed investment decisions.

Good luck all.

The (US) website says 3 months for the 60, 2 months for the 85 and 1 month for the P85.

Up 2% now when the Nasdaq is down 1.64%. Makes me wonder where it would be if the markets werent rolling over from the threat of another Middle East conflict.

I bet she'd be over 170. The overall market volumes are way down and yet TSLA's volumes are way up. Perhaps some solid institutional money is getting into involved and spreading themselves out over a few days.

On the contrary, I believe the Middle East threat is the very reason TSLA is up. If gas goes over $5 per gallon the economic benefits of the Model S go way up. If it wasn't for the news we could easily have seen a pullback today.

That doesn't make sense to me. Tesla is assumed to be supply constrained for the foreseeable future, and increasing gas prices probably has a negative effect on their suppliers. Even if a dollar more in gas prices increases demand (would you not want a Tesla if gas prices fell a dollar?) more electric cars on the road will probably eventually make gas cheaper (supply/demand).

I think trying to make an economic case for electric cars isn't the strongest argument, until batteries are cheaper than engines.

Last edited:
That doesn't make sense to me. Tesla is assumed to be supply constrained for the foreseeable future, and increasing gas prices probably has a negative effect on their suppliers. Even if a dollar more in gas prices increases demand (would you not want a Tesla if gas prices fell a dollar?) more electric cars on the road will probably eventually make gas cheaper (supply/demand).

Traders are dumb, that's all there is to that. Oil up, buy Tesla. They do no more thinking than that.

BTW, this is really quite good. Nothing earth shattering for this crowd, but this analyst gets it: Tesla’s Model S Disrupting The Auto Market: Video - Bloomberg

Traders are dumb, that's all there is to that. Oil up, buy Tesla. They do no more thinking than that.

And of course you always get the day trader meta-effect. Ooh, oil is up, I bet people are going to buy TSLA. I better get in on that action.

I will say, though, that long term stability in gas prices lowers interest in alternatives. If there are wild fluctuations it can get people thinking about their next car differently, which can have a longer term impact.

Watching the stock today has been fascinatingly dizzying. Profile is like a mountain stage at the Tour de France.

@Citizen-T, that video was great and nice to hear a price target of $200 based on what she believes TM can do in 5 years

Gahh I'm so pissed that my 164 buy limit order did not fill :( Time to change brokers...

- - - Updated - - -

I hope it'll gap down tomorrow! :/

That's my feeling too, that if it didn't gap down today and stayed in the red, perhaps tomorrow is the last chance before I really need to consider to re-enter before it leaves me behind. That near the end of the market bump up to $167 was unexpected. Once it finally broke down below $164, I thought it'll finally go lower, but it surged a moment later. My guess about your order not being filled is because there were probably too much order below $164 that it got filled too quick before it got to yours, not because your broker sucks. But someone who knows better can feel free to correct me.

The (US) website says 3 months for the 60, 2 months for the 85 and 1 month for the P85.

The website says one thing, reality is another. 60 days from confirmation to delivery is really the absolute longest for a N. American order. And most are < 45 days.

Why is the website wrong? Probably to encourage people to pay up for a car that would ostensibly be delivered sooner.

That lady is sharp! It's good to watch her talking about Tesla over two years ago -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrM1rhk7Rxc

Amazing to watch videos like that with the current perspective of how things panned out. She was spot on on everything and I feel like she still today is the one analyst who actually gets Tesla and shares the views of the potential that we on this board have.

Status
Not open for further replies.