Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Step 1: Buy puts
Step 2: Publish valuation that brings virtually nothing new to the table
Step 3: Watch stock market go crazy
Step 4: Profit?

Seriously, this can't be because one professor thinks that by standard valuation TSLA is too high, can it?

I would not worry about that. It is a collective force. The professor may contribute a bit, but not the determining factor. What TSLA has done so far is already nothing short of miracle. I don't think is realistic to hope for it go for new high every week.

@Citizen-T
I'm unclear why your image has the black lines where they are. I would drop their slope another 2 degrees or so to (a) match the incoming blue trend and (b) better incorporate the May data.

Yeah this is just a quick hand drawn thing. Personally I use charting software to don't his kind of stuff, but I know that most people here do not and I wanted to show something that was accessible to everyone. I would not try to use these lines to catch the bottom. The point is just to show that we are in the range of typical ups and downs for this stock.

If you want to trade on this kind of info then get a better chart.

Yeah this is just a quick hand drawn thing. Personally I use charting software to don't his kind of stuff, but I know that most people here do not and I wanted to show something that was accessible to everyone. I would not try to use these lines to catch the bottom. The point is just to show that we are in the range of typical ups and downs for this stock.

If you want to trade on this kind of info then get a better chart.
Understood and agreed. Thanks.

These trend lines always puzzle me as tools. They're true until they aren't, but you never know when that point is going to be. It's a nice trend line, but if it continued for another 4 months or the stock would be $250. As Elon himself noted, the market is already generously crediting TSLA for future execution. Seems very dangerous to extrapolate that trend line much.

Yes. For me it is a game of probabilities. When we were trading at $173 I was selling covered calls and buying puts because the probability that we were going to reverse was greater than the probability that we were going to break out above this channel. Now that we are approaching the bottom of the channel, I see the probability that the bleeding stops soon is higher than the probability that we fall through the bottom. As such I'm going to sell my puts soon (bought back my covered calls already, oops).

Eventually, the trend is going to break one way or another. If that were to happen I'd expect a big move in the direction it broke. If we fall through the floor, then I'd probably buy those puts I just sold right back. If we break out above the top, I'd sell the puts that I had been accumulating and maybe even buy some calls.

It won't work forever, but it has worked incredibly well the past few months and has made me quite a lot of money. Even if you aren't going to trade on it (and I'm not saying you should) I think it provides much needed perspective on a day when TSLA falls 5%. Again, my very non-technical chart was really meant for that, just to provide perspective.

Thanks! Just what we needed :)

My drawings concur with Citizen-T. This was drawn several months ago.

tsla.png

What's the verdict on closing above $161.88 today? My assumption is that it will to preserve the 20 consecutive days needed
I read it as 20 days out of 30 consecutive days. In other words the days that count are the 30 consecutive trading days leading up to the end of the quarter, but it only has to be above $161.88 for any 20 of those days. So we could spend some time below $161.88 and there will still be enough time to make it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.