Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short life with my Tesla MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like the chassis is twisted. The FWD appears latched in the front and not in the rear.
It that's the case, I agree, it's a goner.

1705618322003.png

It's good to hear that you're both OK and that you got checked at a hospital!

I learned recently that after a collision it's important to get medically checked out since you might not feel damage to the spine and other parts for a few days.

This reminded me to refresh my memory on post-accident responsibilities. California Car Accident Laws

* Drivers must report the accident to law enforcement within 24 hours and to the DMV within 10 days if there were any injuries or damage > $1000. An officer on the scene will do the former.

* Every automobile insurance contract requires the policyholder to report a car accident to the insurer very soon after the fact. The sooner the insurer knows about the accident, the sooner it can start investigating the claim. And if you don't report the accident within a reasonable period of time, the insurer may deny coverage in connection with the crash.
Thank you, I just called my insurance an they filed a claim for me. They said it will process faster that way, then they will work with the other driver's insurance.

Last edited:
I hope you have uninsured/underinsured coverage in case the other person’s insurance doesn’t have enough and you have to cover the rest, although if your insurance has to pay out it will screw your premiums over even if it wasn’t your fault. I also hope you had GAP insurance if you financed the car.

Model X is already expensive to insure. You might get lucky, I would not get another Model X at this time unless you want stealth gray color, as all other colors do not qualify for tax credit at this time.

I hope you have uninsured/underinsured coverage in case the other person’s insurance doesn’t have enough and you have to cover the rest, although if your insurance has to pay out it will screw your premiums over even if it wasn’t your fault. I also hope you had GAP insurance if you financed the car.

Model X is already expensive to insure. You might get lucky, I would not get another Model X at this time unless you want stealth gray color, as all other colors do not qualify for tax credit at this time.
I do have uninsured/underinsured coverage from State Farm. I am not sure if they increase my premium if they have to pay out in case of the other guy's insurance doesn't have enough.

Yeah, it's suck that there is no other option beside stealth gray for tax credit. I'll get tax credit for 2023 tax return for the one just crashed, but I am not sure if I will be qualified for another $7500 tax incentive for 2024 if I decide to purchase another X at $79990 this year.

Reactions: IdaX
Sorry, that happened to you. The vehicle is most likely a total loss. Anything can be repaired and the quality of body shop work is outstanding these days. The problems of parts availability and the amount of labor are all going to add up to a situation where paying you the market value and the insurer selling the salvage will work out best for all involved. Impacts that distort the A pillar, rocker structure and what would be a firewall in a conventional car are labor-intensive to repair (the entire interior has to come out).

State Farm SHOULD not increase your rates for an uninsured/underinsured motorist claim. You can also make claims for excess on your injuries and compensation should it be necessary. In most states, your State Farm coverage will stack (each household policy limit adds on top).

Getting State Farm involved in anything is a disaster. In my experience, State Farm will try to find a way to make you at fault just enough to raise your rates. State Farm's representatives will lie. You DO NOT want to be represented by one of State Farm's employees. State Farm is just completely awful, bad actors. It would be one thing if State Farm were just simply in breach of their duty to their insureds, but is worse than that. You are smart to stay as far as you can away from the snakes as you possibly can.

Last edited:
I do have uninsured/underinsured coverage from State Farm. I am not sure if they increase my premium if they have to pay out in case of the other guy's insurance doesn't have enough.

Yeah, it's suck that there is no other option beside stealth gray for tax credit. I'll get tax credit for 2023 tax return for the one just crashed, but I am not sure if I will be qualified for another $7500 tax incentive for 2024 if I decide to purchase another X at $79990 this year.

I believe you would qualify for another tax incentive, as long as you meet the income requirements and the SUV MSRP has to be less than $80k. There's nothing about a limit of how many you can claim per year for new vehicles, You can only claim the used EV tax credit once every 3 years.

As for increasing premium, it's hard to say. Even if it wasn't your fault, sometimes insurance companies may still count any accident as a risk factor. It won't be as much of an impact as an at-fault accident, but they still sometimes use it against you. If they're able to get all of their money back from the at fault-driver, then it most likely wouldn't impact you.

It's really unfortunate, and it really sucks. I'm glad you're okay.

When I had Geico, my wife got into an at-fault accident because she was driving in snowy conditions and slid into a telephone pole. It was a single car accident. We also had accident forgiveness on our policy given we've never had any claims before and were good drivers, but somehow, they still managed to increase our premiums by 50%, without really giving us a reason why. Since then I switched over to Traveler's Insurance.

Last edited:
Reactions: mojavedesert
Getting State Farm involved in anything is a disaster. In my experience, State Farm will try to find a way to make you at fault just enough to raise your rates. State Farm's representatives will lie. You DO NOT want to be represented by one of State Farm's employees. State Farm is just completely awful, bad actors. It would be one thing if State Farm were just simply in breach of their duty to their insureds, but is worse than that. You are smart to stay as far as you can away from the snakes as you possibly can.

Wow I’ve had State Farm for 35 years now and the few times I’ve had claims they were easy to deal with and I thought they were more than fair. It’s been a while since anything happened though, was your experience recent?

Reactions: X Fan
Threeputts, just my opinion, sorry for writing a book ... McKinsey reorganized State Farm after the company had balance sheet problems following Hurricane Andrew. Like many businesses, McKinsey's Harvard-trained children were smart youngsters who had zero idea how the business they were set upon actually worked. They cut costs, created initiatives to not pay claims (forced use of sub-standard aftermarket parts and bad faith diminution settlements made the news a lot because of the size of the judgments) and finally just created low-pay jobs where nobody had any accountability for anything but the cost (you get what you measure).

State Farm management eventually realized they could do anything and not be held accountable to anyone. The moral duty to policyholders in a Mutual Company structure was disregarded in the same way that Elon Musk does lost touch with his fiduciary duty to Tesla shareholders.

Where all this comes together to really harm the insured is a thing called "State Farm Claims Litigation Counsel." These (barely) attorneys, hired under the same environment McKinsey created as a DEI initiative are assigned to you when State Farm claims are litigated. Very few insureds are smart enough to realize their claims are not properly investigated and no preparations are made for trial by attorneys who are underqualified, under paid and overworked. They will show up for YOUR defense, try to give $$ to the at-fault party, and basically do anything to avoid getting in front of a judge and looking like what they are, incompetent lawyers with a conflict of interest between their employer and their client.

In my case, there was heavy traffic by a construction zone. People were merging and I stopped to let a lady in. I was stopped. As the car merged in a lady in a White Mercedes G650 (or whatever their big SUV is) came through the construction zone passing everyone. She saw the gap I made and missed, hitting the side of my truck. She and I were now blocking traffic. Georgia has a law requiring we move vehicles off the freeway.

When the police arrived the Officer told me he was going to cite her for driving through a construction zone & failing to yield. ... I could hear her yelling at the Officer, that she was a Black Lives Matters attorney and that she was going to file complaints with his boss and his department. ... The officer returned to my car and stated that since we had moved the vehicles he was not going to cite the woman. (he was bullied by her). She also bullied her insurer not to pay for the damages to my truck since she had not been cited.

So I filed a small claims court case and notified State Farm. The Mercedes lady decided she was grievously injured TWO MONTHS AFTER after the collision, starting at a chiropractor's office. She counter-sued for her made-up injuries and submitted spa treatments as medical bills.

State Farm did exactly zero investigation. State Farm interviewed no witnesses. State Farm did not even take photos of the cars.

Several days before the trial emails between the State Farm attorney and I agreed on where to meet at the courhouse.

State Farm's attorney no showed for trial. When I called her, her response was "*sugar*, I forgot." She showed up four hours late, tried to pay the at-fault party to settle her claim and then lied to the Judge, blaming the clerk for having not notified her. (again, we had discussed the trial time by email!!) I refused to drop my claim for my damages, so the State Farm attorney got frustrated because she actually had to go in front of the Judge. She suggested to the Judge that each party go back to their own insurance company, so the Judge would not have to decide the case. The Judge ruled as she had suggested, now meaning I had to go against my own insurer. REMEMBER I WAS STOPPED WHEN HIT by a lady coming through a construction area.

Long story longer, I filed an appeal to State Court and did not even tell State Farm I did it, so State Farm could not f' it up. I beat the Mercedes-Attorney-Liar and got the money to fix my truck. Took me almost four years total. Countless hours. Ruined my life would be too much to say, but it sure took a lot of time and energy.

Lakeshia Randall, Esq. uses her "experience" gained at State Farm to become a banana peel attorney who writes nasty letter to State Farm and takes ~40% of whatever she can get on phony and exaggerated insurance claims.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Threeputts, just my opinion, sorry for writing a book ... McKinsey reorganized State Farm after the company had balance sheet problems following Hurricane Andrew. Like many businesses, McKinsey's Harvard-trained children were smart youngsters who had zero idea how the business they were set upon actually worked. They cut costs, created initiatives to not pay claims (forced use of sub-standard aftermarket parts and bad faith diminution settlements made the news a lot because of the size of the judgments) and finally just created low-pay jobs where nobody had any accountability for anything but the cost (you get what you measure).

State Farm management eventually realized they could do anything and not be held accountable to anyone. The moral duty to policyholders in a Mutual Company structure was disregarded in the same way that Elon Musk does lost touch with his fiduciary duty to Tesla shareholders.

Where all this comes together to really harm the insured is a thing called "State Farm Claims Litigation Counsel." These (barely) attorneys, hired under the same environment McKinsey created as a DEI initiative are assigned to you when State Farm claims are litigated. Very few insureds are smart enough to realize their claims are not properly investigated and no preparations are made for trial by attorneys who are underqualified, under paid and overworked. They will show up for YOUR defense, try to give $$ to the at-fault party, and basically do anything to avoid getting in front of a judge and looking like what they are, incompetent lawyers with a conflict of interest between their employer and their client.

In my case, there was heavy traffic by a construction zone. People were merging and I stopped to let a lady in. I was stopped. As the car merged in a lady in a White Mercedes G650 (or whatever their big SUV is) came through the construction zone passing everyone. She saw the gap I made and missed, hitting the side of my truck. She and I were now blocking traffic. Georgia has a law requiring we move vehicles off the freeway.

When the police arrived the Officer told me he was going to cite her for driving through a construction zone & failing to yield. ... I could hear her yelling at the Officer, that she was a Black Lives Matters attorney and that she was going to file complaints with his boss and his department. ... The officer returned to my car and stated that since we had moved the vehicles he was not going to cite the woman. (he was bullied by her). She also bullied her insurer not to pay for the damages to my truck since she had not been cited.

So I filed a small claims court case and notified State Farm. The Mercedes lady decided she was grievously injured TWO MONTHS AFTER after the collision, starting at a chiropractor's office. She counter-sued for her made-up injuries and submitted spa treatments as medical bills.

State Farm did exactly zero investigation. State Farm interviewed no witnesses. State Farm did not even take photos of the cars.

Several days before the trial emails between the State Farm attorney and I agreed on where to meet at the courhouse.

State Farm's attorney no showed for trial. When I called her, her response was "*sugar*, I forgot." She showed up four hours late, tried to pay the at-fault party to settle her claim and then lied to the Judge, blaming the clerk for having not notified her. (again, we had discussed the trial time by email!!) I refused to drop my claim for my damages, so the State Farm attorney got frustrated because she actually had to go in front of the Judge. She suggested to the Judge that each party go back to their own insurance company, so the Judge would not have to decide the case. The Judge ruled as she had suggested, now meaning I had to go against my own insurer. REMEMBER I WAS STOPPED WHEN HIT by a lady coming through a construction area.

Long story longer, I filed an appeal to State Court and did not even tell State Farm I did it, so State Farm could not f' it up. I beat the Mercedes-Attorney-Liar and got the money to fix my truck. Took me almost four years total. Countless hours. Ruined my life would be too much to say, but it sure took a lot of time and energy.

Lakeshia Randall, Esq. uses her "experience" gained at State Farm to become a banana peel attorney who writes nasty letter to State Farm and takes ~40% of whatever she can get on phony and exaggerated insurance claims.
Probably friends with Nathan Wade. Georgia sounds like a peach....(s).

I'm just glad the X did its job and protected the driver and passengers. I hope they financially smoke the negligent driver...

I'll get tax credit for 2023 tax return for the one just crashed, but I am not sure if I will be qualified for another $7500 tax incentive for 2024 if I decide to purchase another X at $79990 this year.
If you qualified in 2023, you can get the credit in 2024 also. Limit is two point of sale transfers per taxpayer per year (so four is filing jointly), no limit on credits taken at end of year, but those require sufficient tax liability.

I hope it's totaled. I hear if the cost to fix less than 75% value of the car, they won't total it. But since all of airbags were deployed, it won't be safe to drive if they replace airbags. I am not gonna accept the car back if they won't total it.
Bags are popped. Start shopping. Insurance doesn’t enjoy touching a mass produced car that’s had bags popped.

Reactions: mojavedesert
If you qualified in 2023, you can get the credit in 2024 also. Limit is two point of sale transfers per taxpayer per year (so four is filing jointly), no limit on credits taken at end of year, but those require sufficient tax liability.

It depends. If your income went over in 2023, but not in 2022, you can get tax credit in 2023. You will not in 2024 if you make more than $300k combined since 2022 in AGI.