Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shifting from Drive to Reverse, but briefly pausing at the first position - does it cause a short free fall?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I’ve had my Model Y for about 8 months now. It’s my favorite. But I had a question that I thought it worth asking for due diligence, and to see if anyone has noticed the same behavior.

When I’m in Drive in the Model Y, going uphill or downhill, if I move the stalk with the intent to go into Reverse, but hesitate at the first position for a second or less, it feels like the car goes into Neutral briefly. But then it goes into Reverse.

However, since I'm on an incline or decline, it feels like the car moves slightly forward or backward, depending on the direction of gravity, before engaging in Reverse. It’s tantamount to a very, very short experience of free fall.

It never feels abrupt. It doesn’t happen all the time.

It’s just something I notice on occasion when I’m going uphill or downhill.

Is that normal for a Tesla?

From the Tesla model Y manual:

=====================================

Neutral​

Neutral allows Model Y to roll freely when you are not pressing the brake pedal:
  • When in Park, shift into Neutral by briefly pushing the drive stalk either up or down to the first position.
  • When in Drive, shift into Neutral by briefly pushing the drive stalk up to the first position. If Autosteer or Traffic-Aware Cruise Control (if equipped) is active, you must push the drive stalk up to the first position and hold it there for more than 1 second. In doing so, Autosteer or Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is disabled.
  • When in Reverse, shift into Neutral by briefly pushing the drive stalk down to the first position.
Note

Hi,

I’ve had my Model Y for about 8 months now. It’s my favorite. But I had a question that I thought it worth asking for due diligence, and to see if anyone has noticed the same behavior.

When I’m in Drive in the Model Y, going uphill or downhill, if I move the stalk with the intent to go into Reverse, but hesitate at the first position for a second or less, it feels like the car goes into Neutral briefly. But then it goes into Reverse.

However, since I'm on an incline or decline, it feels like the car moves slightly forward or backward, depending on the direction of gravity, before engaging in Reverse. It’s tantamount to a very, very short experience of free fall.

It never feels abrupt. It doesn’t happen all the time.

It’s just something I notice on occasion when I’m going uphill or downhill.

Is that normal for a Tesla?
Are you saying when you put the car in Neutral, the car rolls downhill?

I’m not sure I‘m seeing the problem.

Pardon me. What I meant was, if I was on an uphill or downhill slope in Drive, if I move the stalk to shift into Reverse, but stay at the first position for a second or less, it feels like the Model Y goes into freefall for half a second or less, but then eventually does go into Reverse.

It's never anything scary. I was just curious if that was the same experience most Model Y drivers occasionally notice.

Pardon me. What I meant was, if I was on an uphill or downhill slope in Drive, if I move the stalk to shift into Reverse, but stay at the first position for a second or less, it feels like the Model Y goes into freefall for half a second or less, but then eventually does go into Reverse.

It's never anything scary. I was just curious if that was the same experience most Model Y drivers occasionally notice.
Because you paused, it shifted into neutral, so that would be expected behavior in your case.

Realistically, you’re supposed to have your foot on the brake when shifting, so you wouldn’t notice anything until you’re ready to move

Reactions: ACRei

Since what you describe is shifting into neutral, as described in the manual, this would be what everyone who does what you are doing experiences, if they do that.

Reactions: ACRei
Since what you describe is shifting into neutral, as described in the manual, this would be what everyone who does what you are doing experiences, if they do that.
Essentially, pausing at the first stop on the stalk momentarily puts me into Neutral, then by moving the stalk further upward, it shifts into Reverse? I think that’s how I’m understanding it. So that free fall motion I occasionally feel is just being in Neutral momentarily until the car shifts to Reverse?

I’m confused because the manual says if we’re in Neutral, to shift out while below 5MPH, we need to put our foot on the brakes.

So is that momentary experience of free fall/ neutral normal?