Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shamrock Texas Supercharger at Route 66 icon "U-Drop Inn" underway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
sharmrock_drive.jpg
shamrock_truck.jpg
Shamrock_landmark.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

shamrock_backlot.jpg
Shamrock1.jpg
shamrock2.jpg
shamrock3.jpg

Here is the actual construction.
The pads for the transformers are done, the crew was hustling to get this done by next week. All the equipment was crated, and on site.
The reception from the construction crew was unbelievable. They dropped everything to come by and say hi. They have been working all over to build these, and some of them hadn't actually seen a Tesla before so I gave them the full demo. While I was taking pictures of their work, they were taking pictures of my Tesla with their phones. There are probably only 5 or 6 Teslas within driving distance of this SC right now, and they told me I was definitely the first one to stop by.

I told them how grateful all of us in the Tesla community were for the work they were doing. This particular crew had last worked on a Missouri supercharger, and didn't know where or when their next SC job would be.

- - - Updated - - -

Shamrock_lot_sm.jpg

This is the view from US-83, as you drive south from McDonalds and Dairy Queen, you will see the U-Drop Inn on the left. This is on the Northeast corner of Route 66 and US-83. Toward the back of the U-Drop Inn (the northeast corner of the building) is where the Tesla Supercharger is under construction.

There are only a handful of places to eat here. Directly across the street on Rt-66 is Big Verns Steakhouse, that has steaks, burgers, chicken fried steak, and some seafood. There is a McDonalds and DairyQueen 1 and 2 blocks north on US-83. There is a Taco Bell about 1/2 mile north on US-83 and I-40. There are several motels , including a Holiday Inn Express 1 block north, and a Sleep Inn 3 blocks north, and an older 'Western Motel' across the street. There is a Family Dollar store at the Rt66 and US83 corner as well.

Thx for the great pix! Very nice location!!

Shamrock_team.jpg

Thanks!
Again, the construction crew was really helpful about how all this works. The actual construction time on a job like this one is less than 2 weeks. This particular installation was delayed slightly by finding that the parking lot was concrete instead of asphalt, so they had to cut through concrete to do the electrical trenching. It doesn't appear that the crews work on one area or interstate in a serial fashion. They hopscotch around the country. This crew was based in Michigan, and their last SC was in Missouri, and they had no idea where the next one would be.

When I originally asked if it would be done by St Patricks Day for the Shamrock Festival, they said "Are you kidding?? It will be done next week. We just have to wait on a fence to be installed." Activating this particular SC apparently is a challenge for Tesla since there are no service centers within driving distance. Apparently they usually drive a Tesla to a new SC, and Tesla verifies each port is working properly on one of their cars. I offered to let them use mine (only 100 miles away) if they get in a bind for this.

@Reddy: Great pics and write up.
Looks to be an awesome location, cool buildings and context, sort of all built and comes together in multiple layers.

From my preliminary research, it appears the Shamrock Festival is on Saturday Mar. 14, parade starts @ 10:30 a.m.
It is the OFFICIAL Texas Celebration of St. Patrick's Day, this year will be the 69th Annual Parade.
So, for that weekend, this destination would be really cool road trip.

There will also be a Classic Car Show from 1 to 4 PM on Saturday.
I have a 2013 Model S, wonder if it might be a classic?

@SW2Fiddler: Oh, and I was thinking more along the lines of Peter Coyote or Stacy Keach for the voice. A little professorial.

@Reddy (again)
One thing though: there are no built Superchargers in Missouri as of today.
At least none known.
And according to Supercharg.info, none are currently even under construction.

Could they have meant Illinois (Springfield) or Kansas (Wichita or Topeka) or Wisconsin (somewhere) or maybe Alabama?

@Reddy (again)
One thing though: there are no built Superchargers in Missouri as of today.
At least none known.
And according to Supercharg.info, none are currently even under construction.

Could they have meant Illinois (Springfield) or Kansas (Wichita or Topeka) or Wisconsin (somewhere) or maybe Alabama?

Independence, MO has been rumored to be under construction but has not to my knowledge been confirmed. It would make sense if it has been built but is waiting for a transformer. Very nice report on the Shamrock site!

We might be going there as well for the celebration.

IF Ardmore comes online before St. Patrick's Day, the shortest distance I could find to Shamrock is 242 miles. Depending on the temp, terrain, and my right foot, we just miiiiight make it on a 264 mile range charge.

If Ardmore isn't available, the other option is Denton up 287, charging at a $30/day RV park in Vernon (SHEESH!) I've called before and Ole Towne Cotton Gin RV Park in Quanah would let me charge for $10 a day (14-50). There's even interesting things to do there, and free WiFi.

If enough of us are going, we should apply to be part of the parade. That would mean getting there early enough for the parade, but with Chris's GREEN Tesla, we should have a lock on getting approved.

I've already looked at Ardmore to Shamrock for a Dallas trip. It's uphill going west about 1400 feet, plus the prevailing winds are usually west to east. So you may need to look at an Rv park in Altus to extend your range on trips to Shamrock. You can probably make it nonstop the other direction.

So, how many are up for joining a Tesla submission for the Shamrock parade?

We might be going there as well for the celebration.

IF Ardmore comes online before St. Patrick's Day, the shortest distance I could find to Shamrock is 242 miles. Depending on the temp, terrain, and my right foot, we just miiiiight make it on a 264 mile range charge.

If Ardmore isn't available, the other option is Denton up 287, charging at a $30/day RV park in Vernon (SHEESH!) I've called before and Ole Towne Cotton Gin RV Park in Quanah would let me charge for $10 a day (14-50). There's even interesting things to do there, and free WiFi.

Count me in.

I already booked hotel room last night and will be leaving Dallas on Friday Mar. 13 afternoon, spending the night in Shamrock.
Old road warrior here, so I have also already called ahead and spoken with:

Burkburnett/Wichita Falls KOA
(800) 562-0842,
and will be getting a 3 or 4 hour supplemental charge there.

Vernon RV Park might be another Option.
I will check out Quanah as a possible third Option.
One last supplemental charging Option would be Elk City/Clinton KOA in Foss Oklahoma (they also have pie!)

My Google map shows 302 miles Dallas to Shamrock.
Jerry is the only person I know who could make that distance without a charge. (lol)

I am not banking on Ardmore being open in the near future.
Nor do I anticipate Denton being open in this window of time.

My car is Dolphin Gray, not all christmas colors or shamrock colors.

That's brilliant! Wonder if "adaptor"-ing another one in Big D would enable more Model S attendance.

@ SW2Fiddler: If you have a 85, you can make it from Corsicana to Burkburnett KOA park.
It will take you a lot longer to recharge as it is 206 miles, and another 156 miles to Shamrock with another 1,300 ft. of elevation.

Would love to have people from Houston, Austin, San Antonio and other vicinities join @ Shamrock for a hella Parade.

Anyone coming from points South of DFW will likely pass by our place on the way to SH-114. If you have dual chargers, you're welcome to top off -- much faster than an RV park, of course, so that will save you a couple of hours en route.

Unfortunately, I don't think I will be able to join you, but it sounds like fun!

Would love to have people from Houston, Austin, San Antonio and other vicinities join @ Shamrock for a hella Parade.

We can get from Austin to Shamrock via Abilene. I've been to Abilene before. I have some relatives that live there and I can charge overnight... plus there are some other places to charge like RV parks. Might be able to make it up there from Austin.

Thank you for the photos and text of the SuperCharger progress. Looking forward to a LA to OKC drive in the future. Here's a photo of the front of the U-Drop Inn taken on August 29, 2012 during one of my many cross country drives. Bring a wide angle lens for a quality view without the wires and traffic light!

15937290204_57b5b204b9_c.jpg