Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Series of unexplained credit card charges from Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Going back to Jan 2023 I have had only one charge per month from Tesla, that being for Premium Connectivity. But starting in June 2023 i have been having multiple charges for differing amounts between $9 and $17. The number of charges started out with 4 in June and has been increasing to Nov which has 16 charges, not counting the Premium Connectivity. Sometimes there are up to three charges per day. When i click on the charge in my credit card statement it shows the source as "Tesla Inc Supercharger". But I rarely use a Supercharger and have not used one at all in Nov. I just plug in from my garage 120 v outlet.
Any one know what these charges could be for? Is Tesla charging me for home charging off a standard outlet???

Going back to Jan 2023 I have had only one charge per month from Tesla, that being for Premium Connectivity. But starting in June 2023 i have been having multiple charges for differing amounts between $9 and $17. The number of charges started out with 4 in June and has been increasing to Nov which has 16 charges, not counting the Premium Connectivity. Sometimes there are up to three charges per day. When i click on the charge in my credit card statement it shows the source as "Tesla Inc Supercharger". But I rarely use a Supercharger and have not used one at all in Nov. I just plug in from my garage 120 v outlet.
Any one know what these charges could be for? Is Tesla charging me for home charging off a standard outlet???
Those are Supercharger fees, not 120v fee.

You need to dispute them.

Reactions: Jedisparky and brjr
Have you rented a Tesla at all?

Dispute the charges.
The credit card company then should automatically block the source of those charges.
It's not necessarily Tesla, just transactions that say Tesla that kept coming because you hadn't noticed them.

But you should also contact Tesla to try to tell them you're getting bogus charges.
If those are the only bad charges, it's possible that it's a problem at the Tesla end.

They could have a problem in their system such that somebody else's uses go to you.
Or maybe somebody has been able to hack a Tesla to look like yours to their systems and you hadn't caught the problem before.
In either of those cases, Tesla needs to know.

Reactions: android04
Can i turn the card off for the Tesla charges only. I can't turn it on for my daily life.
If you call your credit card company and report fraud, they are going to disable that account and create a new one for you. They will mail you a new card; if you ask them to, they will send it overnight (at least that has always been my experience).
I would recommend calling Tesla first and seeing if they can see where the problem lies. If they aren't able to solve the issue, immediately call your credit card company, report the fraud and dispute any charges which aren't yours. Your charging history in the Tesla app should show exactly the times and dollar amounts for each time you used a Supercharger, enabling you to filter the fraudulent charges.

Reactions: rpiotro
Just slightly off topic here. I have an Apple credit card. Mastercard so it is good everywhere. I get an alert whenever a charge is made. I can check charges any time of day or night. If I see something off, I can change the CCV code, suspend the card or just request a replacement. All from the wallet app. Also, the card has no numbers on it so when you hand it to the waiter at the restaurant no worries. Of course, you will need an Apple account.

Not advocating here. Just food for thought. There may be other solutions that offer something like this.

I would suggest updating your account with a new CC then dispute the charges. If your existing card has been hacked, it will be disabled and so will your access to P. Connectivity and the ability to access the SC network.

It's a bit weird though as Tesla must know exactly which other vehicle and driver is using your CC number.

In any event cancel/hold credit card and witch out card for another and test.Sounds like a software issue, but just turn it off With card change. hacking isn’t just for electronic devices without tires. If the charges and geographic locations are the same there’s your answer. If you’re in a dense urban setting in tesla Dense charging locations, there’s your answer. Sounds like plain old CC fraud to me. Talk to the bank and get a geographic idea and review With hold. Your car keeps record too. Oh , if you’ve got an Apple Watch with Apple Pay or iPhone you’ve lost and haven’t set a login password or have assigned 123456 as pass code, there’s your very probable answer. 3 charges a day hummm, makes me the think FSD took over charging without you. I‘m sure theirs a conspiracy for that, joking. Good luck, hands down we’re talking human error here. I use a pass code with my car too now.

Sounds like your cc has been hacked and that you're fortunate, it's only been somewhat small charges. Maybe the strategy is to keep the charges small so you won't notice? Anyhow, you need to talk to your cc company; typically, you'd cancel the old one, and get a replacement.

As mentioned, there are some cards that give immediate feedback, like the Card. If I pay at the grocery store, the charge notifies me, while I'm still bagging my groceries. If you have the Watch, it pops up on your watch. You don't realize how convenient those little things are, until you get one and start using it.

Also, have you looked at your supercharging history in the phone app? It'll at least show you where the presumed charges are taking place, so you can see, if it's randomly all over the country, indicating that someone has your cc info.

As mentioned, there are some cards that give immediate feedback, like the Card. If I pay at the grocery store, the charge notifies me, while I'm still bagging my groceries. If you have the Watch, it pops up on your watch. You don't realize how convenient those little things are, until you get one and start using it.

I have credit cards from wells fargo, citibank (the costco one from them) and the apple card. All of them allow you to set up charge notifications under a purchase threshhold, and I set these notifications up so that they send a notification if the charge is greater than $0. This means they send me a notification on every single purchase, and I have them come as a text message.

In practice this means that every purchase made with the card is sent to me within about 30 seconds to 1 minute of it happening. I agree with you that I find it very comforting, since I always know when something is being used.

I am fairly certain that all credit cards allow purchase notifications. The apple card has some additional features that were already mentioned, but for regular keeping track of purchases, the regular notifications work great.

I also dont get the hesitancy from the OP about getting a new card. If I saw a charge that I didnt know about on my credit card, I would be on the phone with my credit card company within 5 minutes of seeing it, disputing the charges and getting a new card if it actually was unexplained charges and not something I forgot about or something.

Last edited:
I also dont get the hesitancy from the OP about getting a new card.
If they are like me, they have automatic payments being made to various companies on that credit card. It's a hassle to have to notify many different entities that the CC account has changed. I've now spread those automatic payments out between five cards and have a file detailing which card goes with which payment.

Not saying that it's a valid excuse, since being hacked or having the card compromised is not something that should be allowed for any length of time.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin