Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Key card as an RFID card for charging networks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Rosier

M3HLR White
Jan 19, 2024
Tatooine
I doubt this is a possibility with the Tesla key cards with the Java applet authentications. But, has any of you come across a post or a tweet or something that could say otherwise?

It would be a really nice thing to have because you don’t have to carry around an extra RFID card for charging networks.

I sometimes use Charge Point charging stations. I have their app on my iPhone. All I do is open the app, hold my phone just below the screen on the charge point charger and, bingo, it unlocks the charging cable & socket and I plug it into my Tesla. It's only one step more than charging at a Tesla Supercharger. Yes , I have to use my iPhone, but there is no RFID card to worry about and no QR code to scan. It's as simple as touching your credit or debit card at the supermarket check out counter.

I sometimes use Charge Point charging stations. I have their app on my iPhone. All I do is open the app, hold my phone just below the screen on the charge point charger and, bingo, it unlocks the charging cable & socket and I plug it into my Tesla. It's only one step more than charging at a Tesla Supercharger. Yes , I have to use my iPhone, but there is no RFID card to worry about and no QR code to scan. It's as simple as touching your credit or debit card at the supermarket check out counter.
I mostly use a ChargePoint station for my everyday charging (CHAdeMO), and also occasionally on trips. However, I've never used the app/phone to start my charging session. Instead, I use the small RFID card that ChargePoint sent me. Yes, it's one more thing that needs to be carried. In this case, the card resides inside my armrest along with my other RFID charging cards and a J1772 adapter. This works for me as the 3 is the only EV I own. In fact, even if I did have another EV I'd probably set up a second, separate account for that vehicle. It doesn't cost anything to establish a charging account (I have ChargePoint, EVgo and Electrify America), other than maybe using a different email address.

For the ChargePoint station that I use, the charging handles separate from the stand using the thumb latches (no pre-authorizing required). I plug everything in, set the (heavy) handle/adapter onto a tripod for weight support and then tap the card against the screen to activate the session. No phone to worry about getting wet; yes it's been raining here in CA lately.

I know but to use the app it needs internet access. Not every charger, especially underground car parks, have mobile reception. I have linked a single RFID card to all the charging network accounts. If only we could do that with the keycard so that’s one less card to carry around.

I mostly use a ChargePoint station for my everyday charging (CHAdeMO), and also occasionally on trips. However, I've never used the app/phone to start my charging session. Instead, I use the small RFID card that ChargePoint sent me. Yes, it's one more thing that needs to be carried. In this case, the card resides inside my armrest along with my other RFID charging cards and a J1772 adapter. This works for me as the 3 is the only EV I own. In fact, even if I did have another EV I'd probably set up a second, separate account for that vehicle. It doesn't cost anything to establish a charging account (I have ChargePoint, EVgo and Electrify America), other than maybe using a different email address.

For the ChargePoint station that I use, the charging handles separate from the stand using the thumb latches (no pre-authorizing required). I plug everything in, set the (heavy) handle/adapter onto a tripod for weight support and then tap the card against the screen to activate the session. No phone to worry about getting wet; yes it's been raining here in CA lately.

I use ChargePoint, but they didn’t send me a card or anything physical. I just added ChargePoint to my [Apple] Wallet and authenticate with my [Apple] Watch.

I know but to use the app it needs internet access. Not every charger, especially underground car parks, have mobile reception. I have linked a single RFID card to all the charging network accounts. If only we could do that with the keycard so that’s one less card to carry around.

I believe authenticating with a Watch acts like an RFID card, so I wouldn’t think it needs an internet connection. I’ll try it when disconnected from my phone to see if it’ll work; my Watch doesn’t have cell service.

I use ChargePoint, but they didn’t send me a card or anything physical. I just added ChargePoint to my [Apple] Wallet and authenticate with my [Apple] Watch.

I believe authenticating with a Watch acts like an RFID card, so I wouldn’t think it needs an internet connection. I’ll try it when disconnected from my phone to see if it’ll work; my Watch doesn’t have cell service.
That would be ideal. I have my iPhone and Apple Watch with me all the time. But unfortunately the charging networks in Australia uses MiFare RFID cards and Apple wallet doesn’t support that.

That would be ideal. I have my iPhone and Apple Watch with me all the time. But unfortunately the charging networks in Australia uses MiFare RFID cards and Apple wallet doesn’t support that.
Not much consolation in your case, but an Apple Watch will authenticate a ChargePoint charger without an internet connection. Tried it with my phone turned off and it worked. Here's hoping you can do the same in Australia sooner than later. 🍻

I doubt this is a possibility with the Tesla key cards with the Java applet authentications. But, has any of you come across a post or a tweet or something that could say otherwise?
I have yet to see a single charge point operator that allows you to provide your own RFID card. You can only setup ones provided by them. (So, I can't use my ChargePoint card for Blink, or EA, or Francis, or EVgo, etc.)

Not much consolation in your case, but an Apple Watch will authenticate a ChargePoint charger without an internet connection. Tried it with my phone turned off and it worked. Here's hoping you can do the same in Australia sooner than later. 🍻
Charge point was an option here. Not anymore. It’s mostly Evie and Chargefox and the superchargers.

I have yet to see a single charge point operator that allows you to provide your own RFID card. You can only setup ones provided by them. (So, I can't use my ChargePoint card for Blink, or EA, or Francis, or EVgo, etc.)
We have Evie and Chargefox. I have linked one RFID card for both those accounts. You just need to know he card ID and enter that in to your profile.