Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry to the rescue again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting article. Thank you Elon (Tesla) for giving us Hal, I mean Sentry :D

Tesla Sentry Mode catches deliberate attack against Model 3, vandal arrested
A couple of times I’ve seen sentry only save recordings when it’s too late. For example yesterday my mirror was folded in clearly on purpose. I checked sentry and sure enough some guy parked super super close to me. However, it never captured him driving in the parking spot next to me or leaving the car. The footage was literally useless.

• Informative
Reactions: Techniques
A couple of times I’ve seen sentry only save recordings when it’s too late. For example yesterday my mirror was folded in clearly on purpose. I checked sentry and sure enough some guy parked super super close to me. However, it never captured him driving in the parking spot next to me or leaving the car. The footage was literally useless.
I’ve noticed this too. It will capture after a car or person is close to the car but not the initial drive or walk up by the person. I wonder if there is a detection sensitivity setting Tesla will continue to tweak.

I’ve noticed this too. It will capture after a car or person is close to the car but not the initial drive or walk up by the person. I wonder if there is a detection sensitivity setting Tesla will continue to tweak.
Yeah I agree. Because essentially it’s always recording, so the trigger to save the clips is too late or not that sensitive so the car doesn’t always do false alarms? I don’t know

Don't know about the cause and effect but the first day I deployed sentry with a new SSD, my car bumper got hit in a parking lot. I previously had a cheap thumb drive which died the first day I tried it.

Got an alarm alert on my phone. No note left on car when I came by 20 minutes later. Sentry was able to get the license plate and some video of someone appearing to come by and appearing to maybe a write a note but none found. I wish the video was clearer and not so washed out in the bright sun but it was adequate.

Don't know about the cause and effect but the first day I deployed sentry with a new SSD, my car bumper got hit in a parking lot. I previously had a cheap thumb drive which died the first day I tried it.

Got an alarm alert on my phone. No note left on car when I came by 20 minutes later. Sentry was able to get the license plate and some video of someone appearing to come by and appearing to maybe a write a note but none found. I wish the video was clearer and not so washed out in the bright sun but it was adequate.
How did you get an SSD to work with Sentry mode? I thought the drive format had to be 32gb or less (fat32 limit). Or did you use a 3rd party format tool to format larger than 32gb in fat32?

How did you get an SSD to work with Sentry mode? I thought the drive format had to be 32gb or less (fat32 limit). Or did you use a 3rd party format tool to format larger than 32gb in fat32?
Bit of overkill but picked this up for $99.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06XS1G2M9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Formatted on a Mac. Works on PC as well. :)

I found that my phone in the charger seems to lose GPS signal now though. I added a ferrite core and wrapped the SSD in tin foil and that seemed to fix the problem. Also overkill. I'll try just one or the other and see what works. Writes at 400MB/s so no worries there.

Attachments

• SSD with more then 32GB fat32.PNG
    SSD with more then 32GB fat32.PNG
    2.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Informative
Reactions: Lon12 and pcons
Bit of overkill but picked this up for $99.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06XS1G2M9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Formatted on a Mac. Works on PC as well. :)

I found that my phone in the charger seems to lose GPS signal now though. I added a ferrite core and wrapped the SSD in tin foil and that seemed to fix the problem. Also overkill. I'll try just one or the other and see what works. Writes at 400MB/s so no worries there.

I bought this today as well:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B078SVRH4B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Downloaded a program to my Windows 7 to format any size Fat32

• Informative
Reactions: Lon12