Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Again exactly the same $ value end of day as yesterday, so still able to match paper losses on a small bit of holdings with trading profits, hopefully long enough to issue the intact buying power on D-Day for a lot less then 270 a piece at which I began selling shares and LEAPS. Still can step it up a bit to increase buying power but what a difference with my panicking EOY2022 already. Only a huge overnight rise can ruin this.
THANK ALL OF YOU For insights and feedback!

TSLA was rather resilient today, I thought, took a bit macro dump to force it away from the green zone, where form here?

I bought 200x March +p200's to guard the downside, but I won't just sit there and let them go to zero, so will be continually selling 50% -p against those at what I consider to be 50/50 price points - for the moment I'm liking 240

I also have 20x -p270's, sold for $16 last week that are now $25, some loss there, on the bright side, have been rolling down -c270's to 260 and now 250, which has offset things a bit, the puts are sold against Dec 2025 +p270's and the calls Jan 2026 +p270's, so there's lots of time and space to roll up/down and out to escape either side, and these are a bit of a side-show to my main positions anyway

My plan at this moment, if the SP hangs around here until Friday, is to sell 120x -p240's and straddle with 20x -c240's -> if the puts stay OTM after P&D then I won't care too much about the handful of calls being ITM, if the puts of ITM, well I still have 100x contracts available to facilitate a roll down

Yes normally double the S&P move, so if not the C302.5 then something might be brewing. Be careful not to overdo it.
I'm expecting short term pain, then recovery mid to end Q4 as the good news piles up and the FED calm down a bit, then a >500k P&D money-shot for the beginning of 2024 to spike us back to 300

It's not unrealistic IMO

Review of today's QTA generated levels for TSLA vs actual market action.
2AVWAP (thin grey line) seems to have been attractive for the PA.

How I traded it: I sold calls at the break of range high and BTC for some decent cashflow when it came back below AVWAP.

1695763651663.png

My plan at this moment, if the SP hangs around here until Friday, is to sell 120x -p240's and straddle with 20x -c240's -> if the puts stay OTM after P&D then I won't care too much about the handful of calls being ITM, if the puts of ITM, well I still have 100x contracts available to facilitate a roll down
Which expiration? I’m assuming for 10/6. I would be very careful about selling puts before P/D. Historically, TSLA usually drops for about two weeks after P/D and then rises the last few days into earnings. Everyone seems to be expecting a significant miss, so maybe it’s different this time and we rise afterwards.🤷‍♂️

I know that you are hedged by the +p LEAPS, but why take such chances against so few short term CCs? Maybe sell 20x -c240s and 40x-60x -p240s, holding some extra in reserve in case the SP heads south. Even if there’s a SP jump, you still have a few days left and can sell the remaining puts at a slightly higher strike to collect some premium.

I don’t know, maybe I’m just getting scared by last quarter. Still, you are dealing with way more risk than I am, and I’m hesitant to sell more than a few puts here. I’m like 10:1 CCs to CSPs, plus a handful of ICs (rolled from the FOMC fiasco). Definitely weighted more to benefit from a SP drop. I might not even sell 1-2 DTE ICs this week because of the risk of losing one side before the P/D. Given the anti-ReddyLeaf indicator, perhaps the SP will now jump into the 300s next week.

I bought 200x March +p200's to guard the downside, but I won't just sit there and let them go to zero, so will be continually selling 50% -p against those at what I consider to be 50/50 price points - for the moment I'm liking 240
I'm going to have to start doing this. Spend money to make money.... What do you mean by 50/50 price points?

Just reviewed Wicked Stock, who said “This is meaningful bottom picking territory.” Set a small buy order at $233.69. I don’t expect them to hit, but will probably sleep through the opening and MMD, so wanted to have them in place just in case. Also, set a handful of ICs, in BCS/BPS pairs, at ~2x tonight’s premium on each side. That way if we have a huge oscillating SP while I’m sleeping, I can still catch both sides. Again, don’t expect either side to hit, but it’s worth a try. Still feels like we drop from here into earnings, so trying to keep enough fresh powder to buyback my last Dec2025 -c240. As always, GLTA.

Which expiration? I’m assuming for 10/6. I would be very careful about selling puts before P/D. Historically, TSLA usually drops for about two weeks after P/D and then rises the last few days into earnings. Everyone seems to be expecting a significant miss, so maybe it’s different this time and we rise afterwards.🤷‍♂️

I know that you are hedged by the +p LEAPS, but why take such chances against so few short term CCs? Maybe sell 20x -c240s and 40x-60x -p240s, holding some extra in reserve in case the SP heads south. Even if there’s a SP jump, you still have a few days left and can sell the remaining puts at a slightly higher strike to collect some premium.

I don’t know, maybe I’m just getting scared by last quarter. Still, you are dealing with way more risk than I am, and I’m hesitant to sell more than a few puts here. I’m like 10:1 CCs to CSPs, plus a handful of ICs (rolled from the FOMC fiasco). Definitely weighted more to benefit from a SP drop. I might not even sell 1-2 DTE ICs this week because of the risk of losing one side before the P/D. Given the anti-ReddyLeaf indicator, perhaps the SP will now jump into the 300s next week.
Yeah, 10/6, and yes, I'm sure it will drop, hence I keep 100x contracts free to help the roll down, and I did also think about writing less puts, need to do some modelling. In any case, I don't want to sell the long puts just yet, I bought them with March strike to give insurance until then, even though I think TSLA will recover, maybe it won't, look what happened last year after Q3, we went into a death-spiral down to 100, could happen again, so I want to be covered for that

And don't forget, even if P&D is not as bad as expected, then we'll have three weeks of margin worry in the media...
I'm going to have to start doing this. Spend money to make money.... What do you mean by 50/50 price points?
Yeah, buying puts is against my religion, but using them as a trading mechanism works well. My only regret is buying them last week, should have picked some up when we were nudging 300 when they would have cost almost nothing - this is something I will bear in mind next time we get a rally

And this is one of my observations, at least in this current market. Buy LEAP calls in the big dips, sell them on the pop and buy LEAP puts, sell against them when sideways - going to try this with a few positions

We're all into converting shares to LEAPS when the SP dumps, because we're mostly TSLA bulls, but as a result we tend to ignore the same trade in the other direction

Edit: by 50/50 that's how I judge the possibility of the SP closing below 240 or above 240 at the expiry date - yes P&D is almost certainly going to be a "miss", but this Should not come as a surprise, has been flagged a long time now, even by Tesla in Q2ER, of course if it's a bigger "miss" than expected, that's another matter, and "expected" is an imaginary number made up by Wall Street to serve their purpose

16x 9/29 -p270 assigned overnight! A little surprised as there was still around 20c extrinsic, but the Bid/Ask was very wide at close 24.90 - 26.50

Will add those 1600 stares to my -c240 write and there'll the remaining 4x -p270 down to -p240

Last edited:
I think I am going to roll back some of my January $300's to ATM contracts for next week for a small debit assuming that we will trend down after P&D. I have sold any contracts for this week because I am still waiting for a small P&D rally and the premiums are bad. Anyone buying short term puts here? Or how are you guys positioning yourself for P&D?

I think I am going to roll back some of my January $300's to ATM contracts for next week for a small debit assuming that we will trend down after P&D. I have sold any contracts for this week because I am still waiting for a small P&D rally and the premiums are bad. Anyone buying short term puts here? Or how are you guys positioning yourself for P&D?
I’m sitting out completely due to macro and P&D. I’ll probably start selling puts around $220.

Have small number of 15Dec$300 CC sold 5Sept that are now +30%. Plan to hold until early Oct. to BTC after P&D-related dip. Don’t see much benefit to BTC or roll April’24 and Sept’24 $300 at this time, will see how prices adjust after P&D.

Yeah, 10/6, and yes, I'm sure it will drop, hence I keep 100x contracts free to help the roll down, and I did also think about writing less puts, need to do some modelling. In any case, I don't want to sell the long puts just yet, I bought them with March strike to give insurance until then, even though I think TSLA will recover, maybe it won't, look what happened last year after Q3, we went into a death-spiral down to 100, could happen again, so I want to be covered for that

And don't forget, even if P&D is not as bad as expected, then we'll have three weeks of margin worry in the media...

Yeah, buying puts is against my religion, but using them as a trading mechanism works well. My only regret is buying them last week, should have picked some up when we were nudging 300 when they would have cost almost nothing - this is something I will bear in mind next time we get a rally

And this is one of my observations, at least in this current market. Buy LEAP calls in the big dips, sell them on the pop and buy LEAP puts, sell against them when sideways - going to try this with a few positions

We're all into converting shares to LEAPS when the SP dumps, because we're mostly TSLA bulls, but as a result we tend to ignore the same trade in the other direction

Edit: by 50/50 that's how I judge the possibility of the SP closing below 240 or above 240 at the expiry date - yes P&D is almost certainly going to be a "miss", but this Should not come as a surprise, has been flagged a long time now, even by Tesla in Q2ER, of course if it's a bigger "miss" than expected, that's another matter, and "expected" is an imaginary number made up by Wall Street to serve their purpose

16x 9/29 -p270 assigned overnight! A little surprised as there was still around 20c extrinsic, but the Bid/Ask was very wide at close 24.90 - 26.50

Will add those 1600 stares to my -c240 write and there'll the remaining 4x -p270 down to -p240
Looks like p270's reduced from >7000 yesterday to <2000 today, no wonder they got assigned, the surprise would be that I still have 4x remaining... light let them exercise too, why not, frees-up my long puts for writing and more straddle-calls at -240

Don't know if I'm doing this right..., but bought March 200 strike Puts for $13. Sold same number of Oct. 27 220 strikes for $6.3 (so basically paid for half of the March Puts off already). I can roll the 220 Puts down under the 200 Puts by March if I have to. Hopefully P&D will be ok, and then I can keep selling monthlies until March....

Don't know if I'm doing this right..., but bought March 200 strike Puts for $13. Sold same number of Oct. 27 220 strikes for $6.3 (so basically paid for half of the March Puts off already). I can roll the 220 Puts down under the 200 Puts by March if I have to. Hopefully P&D will be ok, and then I can keep selling monthlies until March....
Yeah, that's essentially what I've done too, also with longer expiration Dec 2025 +p270's to write against for +2 years, although I start with longer expirations, January and September, but the for the September short puts -p300's, the premium already covers the cost of the long put and the -c300's straddled for the same expiry cover the $30 delta and more...

Edit: the risk is that the SP shoots up, making the +p worthless and -p hard to write for any meaningful prelims, but with March expiry you just need to average 50c per contract weekly to claw-back the initial outlay, and if you already take 50% in the first bite you're well on your way

Yeah, that's essentially what I've done too, also with longer expiration Dec 2025 +p270's to write against for +2 years, although I start with longer expirations, January and September, but the for the September short puts -p300's, the premium already covers the cost of the long put and the -c300's straddled for the same expiry cover the $30 delta and more...

Edit: the risk is that the SP shoots up, making the +p worthless and -p hard to write for any meaningful prelims, but with March expiry you just need to average 50c per contract weekly to claw-back the initial outlay, and if you already take 50% in the first bite you're well on your way
I am expecting the SP to go down, WS estimates were lowered and stock went from $278 to testing $238/240 daily. We are all buying puts.

So we should all guess what the stock price is going to do so market makers inflict max pain to what would be the obvious trend of the stock

Reactions: MikeC
I am expecting the SP to go down, WS estimates were lowered and stock went from $278 to testing $238/240 daily. We are all buying puts.

So we should all guess what the stock price is going to do so market makers inflict max pain to what would be the obvious trend of the stock
I don't think we need to guess, well not 100% blind anyway. It is building up what looks like a hns if neckline at 241 is broken tomorrow. However, if it holds, we'll have a potential triple top/triple bottom setup and the stock should run up into Friday, breaking out of the downtrend channel. By Friday we'll know how likely it is to fall or rise after P&D.
1695829118111.png