Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tryin' to catch a cheap SMCI +P 940 just before the close, because the trend the last 5 days is: sell-off on open into a rise the rest of the day.
I'm sitting on 2x SMCI -p800's (against 2x Jan 2026 +p800) for this week. Max Pain is 820 with a reasonable p800 wall... indeed MP is around 800 for the next few weeks, surprisingly stable... I almost rolled them today for +$27, Bur decided to wait for the extrinsic to wash out a bit more

Also have 10x NVDA -p780's (against 20x July +p600), which look like they'll be on the cusp

A question about the different chart frequencies - 4h, 2h, 1h in particular. The trading day is 6.5 hours long.

So what, specifically, does a 4h candle represent. I think its pretty clearly not 4 trading hours - that would mean 1 candle on some days, 2 candles on others, and the candles moving around each day when they are closed / formed.

My best guess is that the candles are anchored on the close of the market. So 4h candles means that 1 candle represents the final 4 trading hours of the day, and the first candle of the day is formed using the open through the 2.5h mark of the day (2 candles per trading day).

Similar for 2h candles - anchor to the end of the day, you get 4 candles a day with the first candle representing the first 30 minutes of trading.

The 1h chart gets you 7 candles a day with the first candle covering the opening 30 minutes.

BUT I don't actually know - any help out there?

Reactions: UncaNed
On the "Primary Analysis" picture, and realize that I'm still learning and studying EWT, one of the "rules" of an impulsive wave is that wave 2 and 4 can not overlap. These are the 2 corrective waves within the larger 5 wave impulsive structure. These are labeled as (i), (ii), (iii), (iv), (v) rather than 1/2/3/4/5 in that picture, the difference having to do with the grain or level of detail in the data. There is no difference in the rules for impulsive waves at different levels of detail.

In this picture they are showing wave 4 reaching 185, while wave 2 bottoms at 180 (overlapping). I realize that with a lot more practice and study that like most rules, this is one that I might have incomplete information and maybe this construct does arrive in impulsive waves. However of all of the rules (and there aren't a lot), this might be the strongest one of them all. As I understand it if Wave 4 -does- reach up to overlap wave 2, then that is an indicator that you're not in an impulsive wave, but rather that what you've got labeled or projecting as wave 4, is really wave A in a zig-zag (the start of a 3-3-3 or one of the other zig zag (not really going anywhere) patterns).

I don't know what to make of this or how to interpret it, so be sure and chew that chunk of salt thoroughly :).

(EDIT to add: Anybody reading differently or additional info, I'm a sponge)

Yes, I see what you’re saying. It’s very possible. The fellow who charted it said if it looks confusing then it’s likely an ending diagonal in formation since they can be messy. I’m an even less expert at EW than you so I don’t really know. It could be that as price action unfolds the targets and type of counts are adjusted accordingly.

I've hit this Friday's SMCI +P940 @ $96 for overnight holding.. At the moment even cheaper to get.

Why are you buying DITM puts? aren't OTM cheaper and more profitable if you are right? are you just worried about time decay? I noticed last time that I sold spreads on SMCI time decay was meaningless on OTM options and pricing was all due to volatility.

1709070809930.png

1709070896269.png

1709070832384.png

Cary: “Unless we close the week above $207.83 by 1% (~$209.90) TSLA is likely headed to channel bottom by end of March (low $170’s). On the way down $196.77 and $191.06 can offer some support and rotate back to try $207 again. Keep an eye on them. A fully confirmed sell signal will come with a break below $181.49.”

Well, we know there’s a slim chance of TSLA closing over $207, let alone $209, by or on Friday, so wise to consider @dl003’s tip from earlier today to set up for bearish rotation from here. NFA.

If y’all can share your gameplan so we can learn from each other, that’d be super!

As for me, I STO a handful of -C220 3/15 @3.35, -C210 3/28 @6.30, as well as BTO +P195 3/15 @3.60 and +P180 5/17 @8.40.

I also have assorted short calls between April-August $230-$260 that I’m just going to sit on and either close at new lows or run them out.

As for my longs (CB $328 🙄), debating selling them at next shot at $203-$205 if we get one, or a break of $196. It’s by far my weakest point in pulling the trigger. A $20 SP drop would yield a $120k win if done right, but, but…😬

And of course, have an escape plan. TSLA can do that to us.

IMG_6015.jpeg

IMG_6014.jpeg

Last edited:
Cary: Unless we close the week over $207.83 by 1% ($209.90), TSLA is headed to channel bottom by end of March (low $170’s).

Well, we know there’s a slim chance of TSLA closing over $207, let alone $209, by or on Friday, so probably wise to follow @dl003’s tip from earlier today to setup for bearish rotation from here. NFA.

View attachment 1022677

View attachment 1022678
There 1 wildcard that can help us pump beyond 210 IMO.

Remember the talks about the layoff? I know it's not good for people involved but if TSLA announced a cut in workforce that can pump the stock as it did with other M7 stocks.

Cary: “Unless we close the week above $207.83 by 1% (~$209.90) TSLA is likely headed to channel bottom by end of March (low $170’s). On the way down $196.77 and $191.06 can offer some support and rotate back to try $207 again. Keep an eye on them. A fully confirmed sell signal will come with a break below $181.49.”

Well, we know there’s a slim chance of TSLA closing over $207, let alone $209, by or on Friday, so wise to consider @dl003’s tip from earlier today to set up for bearish rotation from here. NFA.

If y’all can share your gameplan so we can learn from each other, that’d be super!

As for me, I STO a handful of -C220 3/15 @3.35, -C210 3/28 @6.30, as well as BTO +P195 3/15 @3.60 and +P180 5/17 @8.40.

I also have assorted short calls between April-August $230-$260 that I’m just going to sit on and either close at new lows or run them out.

As for my longs, debating selling them at next shot at $203-$205 if we get one, or a break of $196. It’s by far my weakest point in pulling the trigger. A $20 SP drop would yield a $120k win if done right, but, but…😬

And of course, have an escape plan. TSLA can do that to us.

View attachment 1022677

View attachment 1022678
After Friday, I certainly didn’t predict Monday and Tuesday, and I have a bad history with long calls and LEAPs, so I’m reluctant to swing trade my supposed HODL long shares. For the next few days, closely monitoring 1Mar$205 and $215 cc hoping for expiration. If they clear without needing to roll, might consider doing a small share sale for the swing trade that dl003 logic and 1Q prospects argue for. Otoh, allowing them to assign would be similar.

I am increasingly positioned for a move down. I'd like to see 170 but I'll be taking winners and buying leaps as early as 180 or 190 (I won't wait for 170 on the winners). I've been taking some losses on puts and put spreads that have shrunk to be manageably small, so they are out of the way if I'm right about down. And the losses had gotten small enough that trying to hold out for just another little bit is how I usually get good positions turned into bad ones.

I feel like the current share price is close enough to a local top that I've acquired a few Jun '26 +p150s. They will probably be profitable enough at 190 to close - looking for more like 180. If I wake up tomorrow to a higher share price then I'm probably adding a few more.

The Jun '26 +300c that I had a month ago were closed recently - looking to re-enter. Probably start buying max dte calls around 190. I'd like to have a lot of these and will ladder in as the share price goes down (if it does).

General observation - both of these positions are the purchase of options rather than sale, and when I hear the siren call of closer expirations, I remind myself that I lose badly buying options with closer expirations and stop myself :). For these I'm looking for $10+ swings in the share price, buying at what I believe to be a relative low/high point, and selling at relative high/low points. I guess I like swing trading max dte options more than shares - I think that a move below $180 this year is inevitable, and those puts should be nicely profitable if/when that happens.

I've got cc's at 200, 210 for this week, and 220 for next week. This is the primary side that I am currently able to sell, as my other resources are tied up backing positions that need more time to win (been rolled, are ITM :D).

I am increasingly positioned for a move down. I'd like to see 170 but I'll be taking winners and buying leaps as early as 180 or 190 (I won't wait for 170 on the winners). I've been taking some losses on puts and put spreads that have shrunk to be manageably small, so they are out of the way if I'm right about down. And the losses had gotten small enough that trying to hold out for just another little bit is how I usually get good positions turned into bad ones.

I feel like the current share price is close enough to a local top that I've acquired a few Jun '26 +p150s. They will probably be profitable enough at 190 to close - looking for more like 180. If I wake up tomorrow to a higher share price then I'm probably adding a few more.

The Jun '26 +300c that I had a month ago were closed recently - looking to re-enter. Probably start buying max dte calls around 190. I'd like to have a lot of these and will ladder in as the share price goes down (if it does).

General observation - both of these positions are the purchase of options rather than sale, and when I hear the siren call of closer expirations, I remind myself that I lose badly buying options with closer expirations and stop myself :). For these I'm looking for $10+ swings in the share price, buying at what I believe to be a relative low/high point, and selling at relative high/low points. I guess I like swing trading max dte options more than shares - I think that a move below $180 this year is inevitable, and those puts should be nicely profitable if/when that happens.

I've got cc's at 200, 210 for this week, and 220 for next week. This is the primary side that I am currently able to sell, as my other resources are tied up backing positions that need more time to win (been rolled, are ITM :D).
Comeon adiggs, you know better than this.

This is "be the house" not "be the gambler" forum.......

JK - don't shoot the dog. Sometimes the urge to go long is just too strong ;)

Reactions: MikeC and DaBooster
Offtopic, but can anybody give me a $0.10 version of why SMCI is considered a good investment? I like the company as a supplier, but I don't see much that they have that is truly unique to the scale of being a go-to for AI like NVDA.
They have a LOT of NVDA chips, and a lot orders from NVDA in their pipeline.. they are probably one of the OLDEST partners of NVDA going back ~ 20 years.. so while they as a major provider of compute and LLM and possibly inference capability, they will most likely be a pure play in the hyperscaler realm for AI demands for some time. It’s not an absolute of course, and I think it’s overpriced here now RSI WAY elevated, but IMO it’s about their very long direct relationship with their SV partner NVDA, partnership and that they are squarely in the “picks and shovels” space at THIS MOMENT more than almost anyone else. NFA

I threw 100K at it last year, and after it returned 100% in short order I had to sell due to my process and modeling… and well, left another 300% on the table.

I’m ok with that.

Last edited:
AJ has been extremely accurate in the past. I see a lower EPS than last quarter as a big problem for the SP. I don't know if I should get more aggressive with CCs and plan on getting a bail out from the ER.....

If Tesla were a private company, do we think Elon and leadership would prioritize EPS-driven metrics such as high price/margin and limited investment for the future? If we think they would go hard after that which is most strategically sound and gives them the highest leverage to dominate long-term as current opportunity affords them, then EPS would be secondary. Even though TSLA is a publicly traded company, Elon won’t let the golden opportunity slip by…simply to please the short-term oriented narrative makers; in fact he views them as tools of incumbent players who know they’re in trouble.

FWIW, although I am high on Tesla long-term, I lean bearish with my play for the foreseeable future.

Looks like a decent 5 waves up into this morning's high, though the high should be a bit higher to be certain and really count as a higher high (like $207-$210) so it's not really reliable as a B wave inside "i" as part of an ending diagonal for the 5th wave down. A retrace holding the $196-$198 area will be nice, but maybe we are indeed heading down in a zig zag c wave afterall.

Keep in mind, technically we don't need a 5 of 3 down as a reliable start of a 3rd wave ABC move in a larger diagonal, of which A wave BTW points at the $312 or $366 area for the minor-degree A wave inside the (3). This A wave can have an ABC up as well (confused yet?).

TSLA Macro
1709079902580.png

Zoomed In
1709081023924.png

Last edited:
What deal?

BYD has their own in-house city-streets ADAS system rolling out next month-

The new autonomous driving system will enable on-ramp to off-ramp driving, as well as automatic lane changing on Chinese highways, for Denza’s flagship N7 SUV. It has a price tag of RMB 15,000 ($2,053) and is powered by Nvidia’s DRIVE Orin processor, which can handle up to 84 TOPS. The N7 SUVs that feature the technology will have two lidar sensors removed to reduce costs.

• The companies say that the higher-end version, priced at RMB 23,000, will allow the vehicles to function by themselves on bustling city streets for the daily commute, using a feature named City NOA (Navigate On Autopilot). Denza’s general manager Zhao Changjiang said the company would release its Highway NOA feature to N7 owners starting in December, followed by an over-the-air update of the City NOA early next year.
  • Tong Liu, vice president and general manager of China auto business at Nvidia, said that he was “impressed” by the efforts made by BYD in developing intelligent cars over the course of their three-year collaboration, calling BYD/Denza a “strong advocate” of commercializing self-driving technology (our translation). BYD’s Dynasty and Ocean lineups are also using Nvidia’s semiconductor.
They even stole the name NOA.