Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
QTA Levels for today + Commentary NFA

1704897748308.png

1/12

1704897556579.png

1/19

1704897588625.png

1704897611970.png

Curios how red to you allow -Ps to get before looking to flip to -C or roll the -P out?

I have a medium-term set of 15x -P290 9/20/24 which is currently about 17% red (STO when SP ~$245). I'm holding out for a pop to $255-$300 between now and expiration to BTC for modest gains or just hold to springtime 2024 (60-90 days out to expiration) to revisit if needs rolling or let expire. My concern is if we dump to $180 in between no reason to hold a red position that will get redder through that.

(The -C300 9/20/24 I has as a combo with that I already BTC for nice profit and will re-STO on next apex.)
In this particular setup I don't really care about how ITM they go as they're the short side of a LEAP calendar straddle being written against the June 2026 +p270's

The only thing I'll be looking out for is that the extrinsic doesn't get too low and risk early assignment

What I'm looking for is to let them be all the way to expiry, then start rolling them, weekly, monthly, quarterly, whatever gives a decent premium improvement

Last edited:
In this particular setup I don't really care about how ITM they go as they're the short side of a LEAP calendar straddle being written against the June 2026 +p270's

The only thing I'll be looking out for is that the extrinsic doesn't get too low and risk early assignment

What I'm looking for is to let them be all the way to expiry, then start rolling them, weekly, monthly, quarterly, whatever gives a decent premium improvement

I'm asking specifically in my situation, I'm sitting on the 15x -P290 9/20/24 which is about 17% red now, is the idea to just stick it out even deep red and deal with later in the year or flip at some point for a loss, say if we lose $228 and head down, and re-STO lower for the ride back up?

Like I wrote in my post, I used to have the -C300 9/20/24 as a combo with that, which I already BTC for nice profit and plan to re-STO on next apex.

Reactions: UncaNed
So much for the Highland catalyst. I suppose it is being outweighed by the fact that RWD and LR no longer qualify for the EV credit and the one which did (P) is no longer available. So no room for a price increase.

What catalyst are left? I cannot think of any. Also, I have to come to realize that FSD is far fetched any time soon. If Tesla drops prices on the Model 3 because of losing the incentive we are due for more pain.

I'm asking specifically in my situation, I'm sitting on the 15x -P290 9/20/24 which is about 17% red now, is the idea to just stick it out even deep red and deal with later in the year or flip at some point for a loss, say if we lose $228 and head down, and re-STO lower for the ride back up?

Like I wrote in my post, I used to have the -C300 9/20/24 as a combo with that, which I already BTC for nice profit and plan to re-STO on next apex.
Personally I'd ride it out, I wouldn't be selling at a loss, keep an eye on the extrinsic not going to zero, then roll out 3 months and straddle with calls

That's what I would do as of this moment in time, but I'm liable to change opinion very fast too

What catalyst are left? I cannot think of any. Also, I have to come to realize that FSD is far fetched any time soon. If Tesla drops prices on the Model 3 because of losing the incentive we are due for more pain.
the biggest catalyst now is that there is no catalyst :)
expectations are so low, that they could get beat ...

CPI tomorrow, Elon Chat, India Gujrat will know in next 2 days ...

+M3 refresh - Tesla pulled it off without issues and fast ... that should be the surprise here.

Last edited:
So much for the Highland catalyst. I suppose it is being outweighed by the fact that RWD and LR no longer qualify for the EV credit and the one which did (P) is no longer available. So no room for a price increase.
And that for some bizarre reason, Tesla don't adapt their lease terms to allow the rebate to come into play

Anyway, I think we're in the situation where it's going to go down whatever... maybe CPI comes to the rescue

FWIW I closed my 2/16 -C265s from a couple weeks ago at ~80% profit- it finally dropped below $1/wk remaining premium.

Still have some at 260, 250, and 245....the 245s are still at ~9 bucks with 5.5 weeks left and are written on shares I only have because some sold 235 puts got exercised so leaving those alone...

The 250s are at $7.25 right now, and are also against the other set of put-to-me-at-235 shares so letting those bleed out longer too.

The 260s are at $5 on HSA shares, and at 70% profit, so on the fence about closing them ahead of a DCB that might last a while

You think? I don't. My evidence of this is TSLA constantly not joining the bullish price action compared to the other M7 stocks - seems EV stocks are being beaten-up and TSLA is ftrending with those rather than tech

All setting up for the big OPEX on the 19th I think, then earnings, we'll see after that, and this will mostly be dependent on automotive margins and 2024 outlook

TSLA will pop when you don't expect it, most likely out of synch with other stocks and when everyone has gradually moved their short calls closer ATM to make up for the crappy, low premiums, then we'll get steam-rollered

That's the way it goes, always 😖
I think you summed it up nicely. It goes up when it want.

Ugh, the slight blip up doesn't feel genuine. If the 230 support is eaten away, I am considering flip rolling 1/12 +p205/-p225 to 1/19 -c245/+c285 for a 1.06 credit at 232.75, for instance. The target is a wider spread , more room to roll up and out, if needed. Behind these are 1/12 +p200/-p220 which may be at risk if the downward pressure continues.

Sitting tight for now. At SP 228, I'd be half that credit, credit nonetheless. Aim higher with short call or take and deal with as needed next week?

Ugh, the slight blip up doesn't feel genuine. If the 230 support is eaten away, I am considering flip rolling 1/12 +p205/-p225 to 1/19 -c245/+c285 for a 1.06 credit at 232.75, for instance. The target is a wider spread , more room to roll up and out, if needed. Behind these are 1/12 +p200/-p220 which may be at risk if the downward pressure continues.

Sitting tight for now. At SP 228, I'd be half that credit, credit nonetheless. Aim higher with short call or take and deal with as needed next week?
32% may touch

1704900700809.png

1704900749567.png