Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What does one even call the patten from 11-19? Other than just lower highs and lower lows. What is patterned in the lead up to the wave? Called something specific, or qualified?
From August 11th to 19th? It's hard to say. The whole structure from 272 down to 212 could be an ending diagonal or some sort of zig-zags / double/triple 3s. I find that counting these waves is a fool's errand. It began looking corrective but ended up overshooting the falling wedge a bit. I only count clear structures and depending on where it occurs, I can try to predict what happens next. For example right now I see a clear 5 wave impulse rally and these things are not one-offs. Chances are there will be a follow through but will that follow through morph into a bigger rally or will it complete the dead cat? It's hard to say.

From August 11th to 19th? It's hard to say. The whole structure from 272 down to 212 could be an ending diagonal or some sort of zig-zags / double/triple 3s. I find that counting these waves is a fool's errand. It began looking corrective but ended up overshooting the falling wedge a bit. I only count clear structures and depending on where it occurs, I can try to predict what happens next. For example right now I see a clear 5 wave impulse rally and these things are not one-offs. Chances are there will be a follow through but will that follow through morph into a bigger rally or will it complete the dead cat? It's hard to say.
The numbers on the bottom of your chart at dates, right?

I'm more certain of the end target than I am of how we get there. We could have 2 legs down of equal length or one being 1.618x or any other fib ratio of the other. 229-230 gets my first vote as it is the 30m support, also where the stock last bottomed before gapping up.

Thanks. Are you sitting out for now or have some option plays on?

Thanks. Are you sitting out for now or have some option plays on?
This is such a twilight zone that I don't have any strong opinion on what to do. Will probably short some 1/2024 SFOTM calls when we get to 235. Just enough to keep me awake. When we get to 225 will short some puts. If we rally from there and break 240 on the daily I will go heavy into short puts.

Reactions: SpeedyEddy
Some mixed signals here. On one hand, 229.6 was a bit shallow a retracement, especially for an extended wave 5. I got the bounce and the rejection near 235, but still looking for that 2nd leg down if there will be one at all.
1692738824448.png

On the other hand, TSLA is forming my favorite bullish pattern. From a low, it spikes up, bumping its head against an invisible ceiling 3 times before breaking through on the 4th attempt. Call inflow suggests this could be the case here. Price action off of the 102 and 153 low on the left and right for comparison.
1692738715782.png

Can someone check my work:

Opened NVDA +p430/-p455 and -c455/+c480 for about $21 credit. Max loss is $25, right? Seems like a reasonable bet with such high premiums for NVDA this week.
FYI, iron butterflies (IB) are best when opened with implied volatility, which is high and expected to drop. IIRC, NVDA is reporting soon, thus IV should crash after the event. Unfortunately, unless the SP closes at exactly (or very close to) your short -p455/-c455 strike price, you are guaranteed to lose $25-$21=$4/shr. I’ve discovered that locking into an IB makes for a difficult exit, without losing money. I only use them when forced by a bad trade gone south. YMMV.

FYI, iron butterflies (IB) are best when opened with implied volatility, which is high and expected to drop. IIRC, NVDA is reporting soon, thus IV should crash after the event. Unfortunately, unless the SP closes at exactly (or very close to) your short -p455/-c455 strike price, you are guaranteed to lose $25-$21=$4/shr. I’ve discovered that locking into an IB makes for a difficult exit, without losing money. I only use them when forced by a bad trade gone south. YMMV.
Because of this on Monday I sold OTM Calls 530 and Puts 400, at around 5 dollar each, just to (today…)take profit on expected IV-decline into earnings. at the moment already gains on both, totalling 25%. so I hope for a SP ending around 450 today, making more than 30% gain for sure. Would be surprised to loose on either position. It also is an experiment to bet, maybe even bigger on this kind of IV next time, involving Tesla around EOQ3 events.

Last edited:
I tried to use the dip to get out of this week's 120x -c230, which may be safe, or may not, but decided I prefer to err on the cautious side

Out a sell order at $4.9, to make a token 50c profit on each, and planned to rewrite at -c240

The price hit around $230.9, but only 2x got bought, and then the SP went straight to $234 :mad: