Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, when they pay less than $3 to roll at the same strike (because they are too far ITM), I have been slowly rolling up. I just don't want them to end up too far OTM if the SP drops. With the dip on Tuesday I was able to roll early for the same strike for over $3 after making over $4 on the previous roll.

And the farther ITM they go, the closer the debit gets to the capital gain — watch out for that if that’s a concern for you.

My strategy on BPSs is to be far enough OTM that I never have to roll them or lose money. I learned that the hard way in January with the ITM BPSs I had to roll to December (which are currently tied up $11Million in margin). Because I have $Millions in margin, I can make a good living selling a lot of VERY safe contracts for little money. I envy the market makers that have endless capital, who can make .1 selling all the contracts they want very far OTM with no chance of losing. That is my ultimate goal. The pessimist would point out that I'm putting a huge amount of capital at risk for little gain. But safe bets with small earnings are where it's at, IMHO. (Previously with BPSs I would kill it for 3 months, and then a horrible week that would lose it all).

I’ll try to make my children inherit 50M so they can sell safe 20% OTM BPS an still make a nice secure weekly 10k to party all day everyday without working.

Lol, just kidding, I will only pay for they scholarship, I want them to learn the hard way like I did and have the fun to appreciate life even with a collapsing portfolio.

I've be doing some messing around this morning with some numbers to try and see if its worth while for me to just let some margin secured Jun 2024 366.67P's just run their course or try to pull them back in. When premiums were higher in the spring, I was able to sell puts 15-20% OTM for reasonable amounts of premium. At 10% OTM, currently, I am just not seeing that the risk reward is worth it. Has anyone else encountered the same thing?

For instance, I could sell ~3x DEC 310P and buy out one Jun 2024 366.7. This would free up some margin, but I am not sure that it would be worthwhile because I would just probably not even use the margin going forward.

My point is that I could leverage my CSP and use that to dig myself out of the Jun 2024's, but I am making way more in premium with the CSP than I would be willing to wager w/ the margin. So my thought is to just sit on the Jun 2024's until they decay a bit more.

The global macro situation is the only thing that gives me any sort of pause about this approach. Anyone else have some advice not advice?

Reactions: UltradoomY
I've be doing some messing around this morning with some numbers to try and see if its worth while for me to just let some margin secured Jun 2024 366.67P's just run their course or try to pull them back in. When premiums were higher in the spring, I was able to sell puts 15-20% OTM for reasonable amounts of premium. At 10% OTM, currently, I am just not seeing that the risk reward is worth it. Has anyone else encountered the same thing?

For instance, I could sell ~3x DEC 310P and buy out one Jun 2024 366.7. This would free up some margin, but I am not sure that it would be worthwhile because I would just probably not even use the margin going forward.

My point is that I could leverage my CSP and use that to dig myself out of the Jun 2024's, but I am making way more in premium with the CSP than I would be willing to wager w/ the margin. So my thought is to just sit on the Jun 2024's until they decay a bit more.

The global macro situation is the only thing that gives me any sort of pause about this approach. Anyone else have some advice not advice?
I would assume that both (Dec 310P and 2024 366P) would be safe at expiration. If you made good premium on the 2024s, and you don't want the stress, just sit on them. Personally, I would bring them forward if I had the margin for 3X Dec 310s, because I'm addicted to trading and need something to do for the next two years.... I also think IV will increase and 20% OTM will become more profitable again. Obviously "not advice."

I also have some distant puts, that I've been pulling down one contract at a time.
Goes like this:
- stock down some%, sell a put one strike lower, same expiry, 1 contract only
- immediately set a GTC order to buy to close one of the puts at exact same price
- wait for stock to recover. often has happened during the same day.

Needs some margin, but not that much if done 1 contract at a time. Actually I've been able to pull those puts otm by now, soon I'll start bringing them forward using the same technique.

I also have some distant puts, that I've been pulling down one contract at a time.
Goes like this:
- stock down some%, sell a put one strike lower, same expiry, 1 contract only
- immediately set a GTC order to buy to close one of the puts at exact same price
- wait for stock to recover. often has happened during the same day.

Needs some margin, but not that much if done 1 contract at a time. Actually I've been able to pull those puts otm by now, soon I'll start bringing them forward using the same technique.

I really like this approach -- I do have margin free to be able to do this. I will do this the next time we have a dip. My big worry with the whole thing was just messing with my side hustle w/ the CSP. Thanks.

I was a little aggressive on the selling as I expect big volatility this week and I've been trying to get rid of some shares.

Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 9.59.41 AM.png

Openning dip was bought aggressively. I am starting to think that smart money is using every opportunity to buy in front of Q3 results. We haven't seen this in a while. Hopefully in 2 weeks we don't have a sell the news event. Still don't feel comfortable with BCS, just CC on buy/writes.
This was going to come eventually. Unlike past periods of "TSLA must go up" sentiment, this one is based on money. There's simply too much profit coming down the pike, and still waaaay too much growth.

It's exceedingly unlikely this isn't part of an extended rally to ATH. The historical PE will look too weird if we retrace back to something like $260 in Oct or Nov.

Let alone January.....where a 50-70 PE($260SP) would look psychotic in a macro scenario other than nuclear war or Great Recession Part II.

Wednesday is the pivot. If the market absolute despises what the Fed has to say, we could tread water a bit until macro recovers. .75 and some dovish hints should be 🚀🚀🚀.

-275/265Ps in at .75 out at .22 for 71% profit.

I'm happy playing small ball for the next few days. Although it could be very profitable if one guesses the fed meeting correctly, I consider Wednesday a coin flip. I don't plan to have anything open then.
I sold 9/23 CC325s today.

I dare the stock market gods to put these in play.