Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Self-Driving Car: Is it a big deal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Must read eyewitness experience with self driving cars report: Google Car Drives Like Your Grandma

I was thinking about this again today. Google has said that they can program them to be as aggressive as they want, but clearly they will set them in 'friendly' mode.
Google published results of self driving car accidents, but what about tickets and road rage?
Some roads have everyone routinely exceeding the speed limit. The local police may pick a car at random to ticket in an effort to show they don't approve.
Would Google program the cars to "go with the flow" (of traffic) and risk a ticket, or just stick to the speed limit and annoy everyone used to going faster?

I wonder how many self driving cars got pulled over, and if so, for what reason(s)?

I was thinking about this again today. Google has said that they can program them to be as aggressive as they want, but clearly they will set them in 'friendly' mode.
Google published results of self driving car accidents, but what about tickets and road rage?
Some roads have everyone routinely exceeding the speed limit. The local police may pick a car at random to ticket in an effort to show they don't approve.
Would Google program the cars to "go with the flow" (of traffic) and risk a ticket, or just stick to the speed limit and annoy everyone used to going faster?

I wonder how many self driving cars got pulled over, and if so, for what reason(s)?

Since they only do 25 - 35 mph, I doubt there was much road rage or ticketing. At this stage, they are NEVs.

Since they only do 25 - 35 mph, I doubt there was much road rage or ticketing. At this stage, they are NEVs.

You are probably thinking of the little NEV pod cars. Around here most of the self driving cars are Lexus SUVs that can certainly go much faster than 35mph.

selfdriver1.png

If the industry manages to sort out all difficulties... in time it can be become as common as having a gazillion songs on your smart phone (instead of putting on a record). Young people growing up with driverless, will see it as the normal thing to do. Manual drive will be for connaisseurs. The main issue will be the mixing of autonomous vehicles and vehicles that are still chauffeured.