Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seat post wear?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are cars with "nappa leather" and "extended nappa leather option" or some language similar to that. The "nappa leather" cars without the "extended" option have vinyl-covered doors, the "extended" have leather on the doors/points, instead of vinyl. The leather is much harder wearing.

The upper part is sort of a "gauze" texture material of the headliner, and the other option is "alcantara", the latter looks to be much more capable of being touched without a hole wearing through when getting in and out. I have not seen anyone with holes completely through an "extended" option or an "alcantara" car. I have seen more than a few on the cars without these options.

I am not sure about the cloth interior cars as I have only seen a few. I'd guess the points are vinyl and the headliner is whatever option was ordered.

I recall seeing low mileage Model S loaner cars with the vinyl-covered "points" below worn through, but I had not noted the upper gauze area until recently.

Several people have brought up the vinyl-covered spots on the B pillar. On my 85D the seat colored trim on the B pillar is leather. I did not buy the premium interior package but I do heave leather seats. The seat colored trim on the door is still vinyl. So it seems that they've stopped putting vinyl there.

I find that it's much easier on my back if I enter the car by sitting in the seat first (backing in with feet pointed away from the car) with both feet still on the ground, then swinging my legs in. That avoids twisting when entering and as a byproduct it also eliminates rubbing against the B pillar.

I find that it's much easier on my back if I enter the car by sitting in the seat first (backing in with feet pointed away from the car) with both feet still on the ground, then swinging my legs in. That avoids twisting when entering and as a byproduct it also eliminates rubbing against the B pillar.

That's also a lot easier on your knees.

I have very bad arthritis in my knees, and for a couple of years now I've been getting into cars this way. Yes, it makes me look about thirty or forty years older, but it's better for my knees, so...

My upper B-pillar cover was replaced “as a one-time courtesy”. Apparently there are multiple revisions to this part supposedly and the Service Center happened to have one in stock matching the one on my car (without the hole through it :) ) after they checked it out.

I was told that Tesla considers this part a wear item. Since I have no beef with the Service Center folks I kept my differing opinion about this to myself – they just following orders from the mother-ship and replaced the broken part. Thanks guys.

I will again communicate to HQ about poor broken-by-design parts being categorized as “wear items” at 15K miles. George B’s note mentioned earlier in this thread (all will be fixed as warranty items, no question) seems to no longer be part of their consciousness. George who?

I’ve had a number of cars spanning the spectrum of price and never had an interior part failure like this. But I also submit I have never personally had a car in 40+ years with what appears to me to be poor design and wrong/fragile materials. I disagree with any statement that says these parts are wear-items - if so let's put them on the annual service schedule for regular replacement.

A couple of points that might be of interest to other forum members:

I think this is a much smaller issue for those with "extended nappa leather option" (leather covering the lower B-pillar points) and/or alcantara headliners (alcantara on the upper B-pillar cover) – those materials seem to tolerate the wear much better. Also anyone short that has the seat pulled well forward of the B-pillar should exclude their data points from the thread as they remain well clear of the B-pillar due to their shorter height. This issue is likely more acute for standard/vinyl doors and fabric headliners (weaker materials) – and then mostly for tall drivers that have their front seats well aft (the danger zone :) ).

I do the "90 degree geezer pivot" already and always have. Touching the B-pillar when getting in and out in my case is not typical except for the cooler season when wearing a coat is the norm. I can see how the coat extra layer could regularly touch without even noticing or feeling it. Now that warm weather is near in the sun-belt, I doubt my B-pillar will get touched much until November coats are back. Nevertheless on a non-alcantara car the headliner material used on the B-pillar cover is ridiculously fragile. If you have this material, and your seat is all the way back, take care.

While enjoying the hospitality of the Service Center I looked at about fifteen Model S cars of various ages and options on the lot. In this sample it looks to me that I will not be the only one wearing through this material and wanting to have this part replaced in the months to come. The alcantara cars I saw definitely tolerate wear here much better, but I noted on a couple the area being significant burnished to the point of losing the nap – still folks that chose the alcantara headliner made a better choice. I saw another relatively recent VIN with a standard headliner/pillar that had already frayed the driver side. On the other hand, if the car was set for a shorter driver (seat was pulled forward of the B-pillar), I did not notice significant wear here in my tiny sample. I did not see breser's comment about his D the lower "points" having a different construction until I got home, so I did not get to check the new cars on the lot to see if they are different from mine. I was looking mostly through windows on the upper B parts today.

I asked the SC if anyone had ever switched the headliner out for alcantara after delivery and they said "no, and it would be expensive and terribly time consuming". To my untrained eye I don’t really understand why this would be that bad - its only about 8 easy-to-reach parts that I can see: the headliner, the a- b- and c-pillar covers (all snap on parts) and the visors. Has anyone ever swapped and can share the facts? I’d guess it might also be possible as a custom recover from an auto upholstery shop. I'd consider having the upper B-pillar part locally recovered in some matching alcantara if it happens again (or buying the alcantara versions from Tesla).

I am still marinating on a home-grown fix for the "points" and the upper B-pillar that looks better than my current hillbilly fix (protective tape). My right-rear window switch fix worked in my case, so I will probably have to invent a tolerable personal fix to solve this since Tesla never will for my car (don't get me started on the implication of retrofitting running updates :) )

I also agree with dirkhh up-topic to have to tell passengers to go through gyrations to keep from breaking or damaging the Tesla is a sad thing. But it is apparently required.

I would be interested to hear any further updates for those with a) base materials and b) seats all the way back.

Last edited:
I asked the SC if anyone had ever switched the headliner out for alcantara after delivery and they said "no, and it would be expensive and terribly time consuming". To my untrained eye I don’t really understand why this would be that bad - its only about 8 easy-to-reach parts that I can see: the headliner, the a- b- and c-pillar covers (all snap on parts) and the visors. Has anyone ever swapped and can share the facts? I’d guess it might also be possible as a custom recover from an auto upholstery shop. I'd consider having the upper B-pillar part locally recovered in some matching alcantara if it happens again (or buying the alcantara versions from Tesla).

It's been done before someone in the Seattle area did it. I asked about this on my first car and was quoted $4k to do it. The reason it's so expensive is because they end up replacing the windshield to do it.

Edit: Here's the post by the forum member that did it:
Salespeople Misinformed About My Inventory Model S Purchase - Page 4

My current low-tech solution for non-upgraded tan interior upper b-pillar and wear on b and c-pillar vinyl-covered "points".

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/wa...4-5/8-inch-x-3-3/8-inch/ID=prod386443-product

Cuts find and has some ability to shape itself to the compound curves on the upper part.

On the lower, cutting a 1.5" square and then cutting a line in the center of one side to the middle allows the patch to "fold over" and conform to the pointy shape.

Sticks pretty well, easy to source, and cheap to replace. Once on, the fix is not very noticeable on tan interiors, and might wear ok, certainly stronger than the factory materials in case of a scrape. No ideas to those with other interior colors.

Nevertheless, the problem is still broken by design and it is unlikely a retroactive fix will ever come from Tesla. Notwithstanding George B's email, I apparently have used up my "one time courtesy repair".

3-13-2015 1-18-25 PM.jpg

3-13-2015 1-18-36 PM.jpg

Last edited:
I just got pointed to this thread... I'm having the ame problem but on the C-pillar in the back seat. Car is just over 2 years old, and has folks in the backseat only about 10% of the time.

My material back there seems to be plastic-covered foam(?) along side my leather seats.

I also just got pointed to this thread; I'm having the same problem... only now apparent after 2.5+ years and almost 10,700 miles: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/54469-Ergonomic-issue-with-entrance-protrusions

Has anyone seen a conformed piece of metal that can cover just the corners? A thin conformed piece of stainless steal, say ~3/4" wide might be ideal... Alternatively, perhaps something can be made with a 3-D printer (I don't have access to one). I really can't see myself using the tape described above...

I had pinged Peter at Abstract Ocean too to see if he was interested in manufacturing another goodie to solve this problem.

I am currently trying some KT-style tape. KT tape is new to me but apparently the sporty types have been using it a while. Thin, stretchy, very adhesive, relatively inexpensive. No idea how it will wear but it comes in a varety of colors and can be a temporary protection for the c- and b-pillar points. Easy to replace. Beige works ok on my tan interior. Maybe double it up right at the point and cover with a larger piece wrapped behind the weatherstripping to stay put.

You can ignore it and hope Tesla will replace the parts, but I'll try this until a permanent metal, plastic, or leather fix for this broken-by-design problem. I think those of us with 2-3 year old cars can rest assured Tesla is not going to come up with a real fix for the fleet.

I think the majority of wear may be the cooler season when everyone is wearing coats. Maybe.

I own a CPO Model S for 3.5 months.
Started getting wear signs on the part called B-pillar about 2 months ago.
I can't see how to avoid it.
Just got a quote today from Tesla $172 to replace each side labor included!
By the way, also learned that key fob price came down to $136!!! That is pretty reasonable!! Hooray!

I own a CPO Model S for 3.5 months.
Started getting wear signs on the part called B-pillar about 2 months ago.
I can't see how to avoid it.
Just got a quote today from Tesla $172 to replace each side labor included!
By the way, also learned that key fob price came down to $136!!! That is pretty reasonable!! Hooray!

If you decide to go through with it, could you post that part of your service invoice please? I'm sure others would be interested in the details if they want to get it done. Thanks!

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby
The only way to avoid it is to have a metal cap over the corner. I'm really surprised there hasn't been a third-party add-on for this. I suspect just about every Model S owner would purchase a set.