Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Saleen Model S Video: Less weight, Gearing Change, Better Aero and Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But has the "better aero and range" claim been validated through testing, especially independent third part testing? Answer: no. Until it has been tested it's just a claim, not a fact. (I understand your post was not stating it as "fact").

And yes, the aesthetics are worse to my eyes. Others may like it.

With those wheels on it, I don't see how it's possibly getting better range.
With the gearing change, it's going to spin the motor faster at the same vehicle speed so that doesn't help either.
All the aero changes appear to INCREASE downforce (front lips, rear spoiler, and rear valance)

This is a nightmare even BEFORE you get to the looks of the car!

If I was Tesla Motors, I wouldn't touch this thing with a 10 foot pole.

Wow it looks so much better without that ugly nosecone and is definitely worth the added price with all those sweet modifications that totally make it look way cooler than it did before! This is how the car should have been made from the beginning! Bravo Saleen!

/sarcasm

Good design is form follows function.

Good design does not lie.

To argue otherwise is ridiculous.

The wheel/brake package reduces unsprung weight from 100 to 120 lbs depending on which stock wheel package you have. Not only are you dropping weight but also reducing rotational inertia.

If the aerodynamic claims prove true this means you need to press the accelerator less to achieve a given speed. The aero package is not only what you see but underneath as well.

At low speeds I would gladly give up some efficiency for shorter breaking distances and better handling that the Saleen spec tires give you.

Just to bring it up again its all eye candy if they did not fix the limiter.
I drive my car on the track and it its awesome for the first 15 minuets I don't need more power it is way fast enough but as soon as that limiter kicks in it is a dog.

I emailed Saleen about the "High-Efficiency Drivetrain Cooling System" and if it helps limit the limiter but no response

Odd choice for interior colors. Looks like an inside-out cow.

That is exactly what I thought too.

- - - Updated - - -

Good design is form follows function.

Good design does not lie.

To argue otherwise is ridiculous.

The wheel/brake package reduces unsprung weight from 100 to 120 lbs depending on which stock wheel package you have. Not only are you dropping weight but also reducing rotational inertia.

If the aerodynamic claims prove true this means you need to press the accelerator less to achieve a given speed. The aero package is not only what you see but underneath as well.

At low speeds I would gladly give up some efficiency for shorter breaking distances and better handling that the Saleen spec tires give you.

You don't need Saleen to change the wheels and the tires. The break pads do not rotate so why do you include them with the unsprung weight reduction formula. You can also change the pads yourself, you don't need saleen to charge thousands of $. or maybe you do.

- - - Updated - - -

With those wheels on it, I don't see how it's possibly getting better range.
With the gearing change, it's going to spin the motor faster at the same vehicle speed so that doesn't help either.
All the aero changes appear to INCREASE downforce (front lips, rear spoiler, and rear valance)

This is a nightmare even BEFORE you get to the looks of the car!

If I was Tesla Motors, I wouldn't touch this thing with a 10 foot pole.

I don't get the increased downforce claim. How is air flow going to hit the car horizontally, then go straight UP, then turn again horizontally, and then press downward. Maybe it makes sense to some people.

Unsprung weight doesn't have to rotate--the brake calipers, pads, and suspension pieces are all "unsprung," because they aren't supported by the car's springs.

Reducing rotational mass has separate benefits for acceleration, but reducing unsprung weight is mostly about improving ride and handling--more specifically, by lowering the unsprung mass of the car, you make it easier for the suspension to respond to bumps.

Just to bring it up again its all eye candy if they did not fix the limiter.
I drive my car on the track and it its awesome for the first 15 minuets I don't need more power it is way fast enough but as soon as that limiter kicks in it is a dog.
Wait. What? You get 15 minutes? I'm lucky to get 3!

If I could get 15 minutes of a 20 minute session with no limiter, I wouldn't have even mentioned the limiter on TMC as a point of annoyance/concern.

Wish they would do a motor swap. Or put in an inverter that is twice as powerful. Or take another motor/inverter and put it in the front; or run 2 motors in the back. Pull that motor out and send it over to: http://www.leeson.com/ and say "make one about this size; but twice more powerful".

I know a guy who CAN make a powerful inverter. Just needs some $$$ for motivation: http://cafeelectric.com/

And from another source of know how; for the technical types out there; read this:

"I hope to figure out how to get a 1239 to play master over a 1500 amp inverter power stage...
Simple sales is just show up with 3x the amps....It worked for the Raptors Damon Crocket and I built in the 90s...it looks like I need to get back to my roots and build bigger better drives...But AC this time."

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=813954545292631

http://www.manzanitamicro.com/

And for a third source of a capable individual; see this post and later ones further down:

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...e-Build-Thread&p=134152&viewfull=1#post134152

It's not that it can't be done(more powerful inverters, motors); it's just that it hasn't been done!

The fact that Christian von Koenigsegg owns a Model S should give one pause... If no one else does something first; he will.

Saleen; step up your game. You're coasting on past success.

everybody should really read this: Is Saleen lying in order to sell its version of the Tesla Model S? : teslamotors

basically, per that link there's no partnership/agreement between Saleen and Tesla and as such your Tesla OEM powertrain warranty will be voided due to the modifications from Saleen. plus it looks like Saleen lied about the whole warranty coverage thing and it also looks like they may go bankrupt by the end of this month. I guess they wasted a lot of money here because I can't foresee anyone actually spending $200k for a car whose warranty is voided from a company that certainly doeesn't have the funds to support their own claimed warranties and may not even exist come next month.

I hate the sound too. I also question the faster acceleration time by changing the gear ratio. I'm no physicist but to me the rubber laid on the road says wheel slip and less acceleration. And if they did regear to get a faster launch, what's the new top speed? 105, 110? I also don't see a better range with shorter gears either.

The only thing about what they have done that has my attention is the weight reduction of the brakes.

I'd like to see some track results with either slicks or drag radials and see what the 0-60 and 1/4mile times are.

When you light up the back tires in a stock car; do both wheels spin?

How much does all the stock glass weigh? How about 50% lighter swapping out all the glass to Lexan?

Pro Glass Windows-Preformed Lexan® Polycarbonate Race Car Drag Racing Windows

The wheelspin from the Saleen says to me they had too much air in the back tires. Drop the pressure 1 or 2 psi until they don't spin. Or get some better tires...

Last edited: