Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Deal Breaker after Model X Test Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another non-major issue, that I mentioned in another thread, is that you must be careful when stepping on the brake pedal when first entering the car. I stepped on it and the passenger door hit my wife, who was not completely in the car yet. Not hard enough to hurt her but it did scare her. It did stop after it hit her. So like the FWD's it has only resistance sensors when closing.

Another non-major issue, that I mentioned in another thread, is that you must be careful when stepping on the brake pedal when first entering the car. I stepped on it and the passenger door hit my wife, who was not completely in the car yet. Not hard enough to hurt her but it did scare her. It did stop after it hit her. So like the FWD's it has only resistance sensors when closing.

Simple solution to that, be a gentleman and open the door for your lady, help her in, then close the door! No risk of accidentally hitting the brake before she's in! :)

We've had our MX for 3 days. It's absolutely awesome but not without some problems. The falcon wing doors are amazing feat of engineering by in my opinion are a lawsuit waiting to happen. While there are sensors in the doors they can close and hit a person inadvertently. I was standing beneath an open door while my son was looking at the touch panel. In his excitement he pressed the close door button and the falcon door came down on my head. It didn't stop when it came into contact with me and I had to scramble out of the way. A similar problem happened when my other son was standing under an open door while my wife was using the fob trying to open the charging port and inadvertently pressed the close falcon door option. Once again the door did not sense my 5'5" son and hit him on the head. Contact did not seem to stop the closing action. I'm not sure if I have a faulty door sensor or if this is "normal" functionality.
I remember reading that they did away with the warning tone that the doors would emit before closing. Would it have helped you and your son to have a distinctive sound warning of impending fwd closing?

When Model X closes the door on me, I call it a love tap.

Unfortunately, today the door started to close while I was facing the window and the top of the glass almost hit my face. Luckily no teeth were in the way. The honeymoon is definitely over. :wink:

Last edited:
Where is the op? I wonder what's his deal breaker now. It's pretty funny that someone worried about pinched fingers do not think roll over with other cars that could kill his family would not be a "safety deal breaker" simply because his wife does not like the FWD in the X that much.

Last edited:
I doubt analyzing the potential for pinching fingers will make a whit of difference in his purchase decision, and that's okay. There will be more electric vehicles to choose from. :)

It could also have been a genuine surprise and disappointment. Knowing that doors detect obstacles (quite well) when opening it was probably surprising to find out that they do quite worse detecting objects on the inside, when closing.

Where is the op? I wonder what's his deal breaker now. It's pretty funny that someone worried about pinched fingers do not think roll over with other cars that could kill his family would not be a "safety deal breaker" simply because his wife does not like the FWD in the X that much.

I posted a long reply over the weekend that didn't get posted….apparently, the moderator is taking control of the thread.

Hi guys:
Just got back from our test drive today. Fun drive, wasn't too blown away, but there was a deal breaker for us that may not be for you.

I sat down in the back seat and closed the falcon door. Immediately, I noticed that the falcon door closed right above my head. There is this interface between the car roof/ceiling and the Falcon wing door come together. If you don't know what I'm talking about, imagine seeing the Falcon Wing door opened…you know that panel that says "MODEL X"? That's the interface I'm talking about. I asked the sales people if there are sensors there in case I put my kid in his seat and he starts to wave his hands around and get his hands caught in that interface while the Falcon Wings closed down. He said he didn't know….so we tested it out. He actually volunteered and I watched from the front seat.

He rested 3 fingers on the "MODEL X" panel and slowly closed the falcon wing doors. As the door came down, he immediately removed his fingers in pain…..almost like he was touching a hot stove. Not good. I imagine you can tell your kid to put their hands down every time, but I don't want to take that chance.

I really wanted to love and get this Model X, but I can't pull the trigger….kinda sad but oh well...
What would happen with ANY OTHER car if your child put their fingers in the door after you slam it shut?

off topic, but was at the Van Nuys Service yesterday and was surprised by how many Model X's they had ready to go. And some still under the wraps
The style is different but so Tesla. Like the wing and the huge Frunk. It has some unique qualities, but the Op's deal breaker for me is not one of them.
Looking forward to seeing more of these in the wild and getting a better first hand look.

"What would happen with ANY OTHER car if your child put their fingers in the door after you slam it shut?"

I unfortunately did exactly that to my 4 year old daughter in out late Model S. shut the rear passanger door while her fingers were between the windows and the car. I was SO happy that it was a Tesla with no frame around the windows, otherwise i can only imagine what would have happened.

I did it afterwards to my self to find out just how much it hurts. It hurts of course it hurts , but you do not get injured alt all. Only some red mars that went away after a few minutes.

/Martin