Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S85 Post-Purchase Regret?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I could still have afforded the P since at this stage it's really about how much I leave my kids after I'm gone but there's something to be said about restraint. Still, there are days when I have tinges of regret.

Ah, I have regretted about so many things during my lifetime, but glad I went with the P85 so that I don't have to look back and said hmm...may be I should have. Well, our philosophy is to do what Warren Buffet said about if the kids want it, then they will have to work for it. True, we will leave them with something but we also want to enjoy the fruit of our labor. I believe if one were to invest in some good dividend paying stocks for the kids, my twins are eight, then they should have plenty to pay for college and to possibly live on also when they need it as adult. We don't plan to work forever in order to leave something for the kids :) So if you can get a P85 or even P85+, then get it. A person whom I have known for a very long time has a P85+, but heck he could easily paid for it with one month of salary. I am not trying to keep up with the Joneses :) One thing for sure though that is try hard to live below your mean, a cliche' that is forever true.

Well kids, you heard it from the horses mouth! I don't regret getting the S85 one bit! I can't even remember what the P85 was like accelerating because the S85 has so much of it in its heart you can't tell! To be fair, if I were to drive the P85 I am sure I could tell, but honestly its more of a "I don't miss it" sort of reaction here. Glad I saved the money! The acceleration is great and I have no regrets. I am a home body and I try to find ways to drive this car and reasons to leave the house. I've seen more sun in the past week then I have in months! haha

@ Bardlebee

I went to school at the UTHSCSA from 87-91. Had a great time there. Really miss SA. You can certainly take many a road trips to Boerne, Fredericksburg, Enchanted Rock, Austin, etc. There are just so many places to go around there. Miss the beautiful hill country. Beautiful drive in a beautiful car :)

@ Bardlebee

I went to school at the UTHSCSA from 87-91. Had a great time there. Really miss SA. You can certainly take many a road trips to Boerne, Fredericksburg, Enchanted Rock, Austin, etc. There are just so many places to go around there. Miss the beautiful hill country. Beautiful drive in a beautiful car :)

We just went from San Antonio to Houston and back and I can say with confidence that the superchargers made the trip ZERO COMPROMISES. It was amazingly fast and easy. And free, free is nice. But even if it wasn't free I wouldn't want to go back to gas! Already almost have 1k miles on the car!

Man, I am the opposite. I only test drove a 60 and I thought that was fast enough (last two cars I've owned have been a Lotus Elise and a Porsche 911 so I know a thing or two about acceleration and speed). I bought the 85 for the range. I am hoping to be pleasantly surprised about the acceleration of the S85 vs the S60 I test drove!

I'm pretty sure the S85 and S60 have about the same acceleration feel. While the S85 is more powerful, the S60 is lighter due to the smaller battery. I came from a Pontiac G8 GT with a 6.0 liter V8, which was a very fast car and, in the real world, faster than my S60, but the S60 just feels faster because of the instant torque and silent delivery... that V8 had a lot of torque too (385ft-lbs).

I'm pretty sure the S85 and S60 have about the same acceleration feel. While the S85 is more powerful, the S60 is lighter due to the smaller battery. I came from a Pontiac G8 GT with a 6.0 liter V8, which was a very fast car and, in the real world, faster than my S60, but the S60 just feels faster because of the instant torque and silent delivery... that V8 had a lot of torque too (385ft-lbs).

Specs from Tesla 0-60 times:

60 5.9 sec
85 5.4 sec
P85 4.2 sec

Unlike most car companies these seem to be understated. I have heard that the 60 and 85 weigh the same, lack of battery weight is made up by filler. Do not know if that is true but I can find nothing from Tesla that indicates their cars have different weights.

We don't plan to work forever in order to leave something for the kids :) So if you can get a P85 or even P85+, then get it.

You misunderstood my post. I didn't not get the P so that I could leave more to my kids but the fact of the matter is that I have worked hard all my life and became financially successful so now it is really only a matter of how much I leave my kids. I started off with nothing, and I worked hard, scrimped, saved, and invested smartly, and earned every penny I have -- and I just couldn't bring myself to spend that extra hard-earned money when the benefit of a P85 didn't justify the extra cost for me. But to each their own. If the extra power is worth it to the OP he should get it.

I also think that there is something to be said for restraint and there's nothing wrong with tinges of regret. If the OP doesn't get the P, I bet he will be like me and also have tinges of regret. To me, that's a good thing because I see giving in to all of your desires as the sign of a weak mind. When you are able to exercise restraint, you have to understand that sometimes it will come with some tinges of regret. Just like the nice attractive blond who has the potential to ruin your marriage. Restraint is important -- are there tinges of regret? -- you bet!

Won't you regret waiting for the two-motor AWD Model S P++?

When I was 20 and looking ahead decades, I told myself I would buy a Lamborghini with family inheritance money. Thirty years later, my tastes have changed and I only care about what I keep for family money and emergencies. Even buying a MS 60 for me would be too much. Either a Gen-III some day or some other similar one on the market. Maturity does change people. I can just imagine if I gave my son $100K - what he would do with it... Probably a Nissan GT-R or used Skyline.

Specs from Tesla 0-60 times:

60 5.9 sec
85 5.4 sec
P85 4.2 sec

Unlike most car companies these seem to be understated. I have heard that the 60 and 85 weigh the same, lack of battery weight is made up by filler. Do not know if that is true but I can find nothing from Tesla that indicates their cars have different weights.

The 60 is 223lbs lighter. See page 118 in the owner's manual -->

3usavanu.jpg

It should be hesitant off the line. If the battery were immediately dumped at full electric-motor power from 0 mph into the differential and wheels, you could have far too much torque and parts failures (bearings, gears, etc.) Traction control and some levels of limited power at zero speed is necessary for EVs. You would always be breaking the tires loose if full torque were applied.

I never drove an S85 but the S60 does feel a little "hesitant" for the first few feet off of the line. Once it gets past that, it is very fast and responsive.

I definitely would not call the S60 slow, but it was noticeably slower off the mark than the S85, as the S85 is quite noticeably slower off the mark than the P85.

All Model S models are plenty fast, but I keep seeing posts that hint at, or say directly, that there is no difference, or it is not noticeable. At least for me, it is very obvious and noticeable.