Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm about to take delivery of a P85 with 19" wheels, and in fact that's the first Model S configuration that I test-drove in DC. I'm sure I didn't push it to anywhere near its limits during the test drive, but it was an absolute blast to drive. My perspective is a bit skewed, though, as I'm currently driving a 2004 Mazda 6 wagon (AKA "twinmobile" purchased to haul the now-8-year-old kids).

I'm sure I'll have a chance to see how it handles on twisty roads within a week or so!

Last edited:
As so many have commented, its really a fine distinction about what you want. Personally after having a P85/19"/spring as a loaner I seriously fell back in love with my S85/21/air configuration. Its all about what floats your boat. Personally I value the air ride over the long term over the wicked quick acceleration in the first few seconds with the P.

Quick poll. Trying to weigh the value proposition of S85 vs. P85 against the $10K price difference. What does the community think, worth it? If so please share your thoughts on why and what options you'd trade away to offset the cost increase.

Related question, is the Plus package a significant improvement over a straight P85?

I think people are right that the P85 will pay for itself easily over the life of the car and it certainly is fun to drive (I test drove in a P85). However, I personally went with the S85 because I tend to have a lead foot and I'd be putting my license at risk driving the P85 (or P85+).

What the...??? This is the second thread where someone has mentioned a loaner that is not the promised "top of the line, fully loaded" car that Elon promised. Did I miss a press release or something???
Given the loaner upgrade program it doesn't make sense to only have P85+ with air and the works. Some people (like me) might be tempted to upgrade to a reasonably equipped S85 (let's say Tech package, 19s, air, multicoat red) but would never consider a P85+ on 21s :)

I think people are right that the P85 will pay for itself easily over the life of the car and it certainly is fun to drive (I test drove in a P85). However, I personally went with the S85 because I tend to have a lead foot and I'd be putting my license at risk driving the P85 (or P85+).

How is a P85 going to "pay for itself easily over the life of the car"?

The car is fantastic and I want one. But I'm not seeing how it's a good investment, or how it can "pay for itself". Please show me the light :)

The car is fantastic and I want one. But I'm not seeing how it's a good investment, or how it can "pay for itself". Please show me the light :)

Just saying that if you are buying the car for the performance factor, the incremental costs over a standard 85kWh are not that great over a 5-6 year period. I'm not suggesting that any model of Tesla is a "good investment." :) Don't get me wrong--I am super excited to have my car, but I am not buying it for any sort of ROI.

I agree with your questioning that statement. I think with every upgrade on any car regardless of make, your also going to yearly be paying more car insurance. So even if you get more for it on resale, that difference probably was eaten up in increased insurance. I have to admit I have not run the actual numbers...

What the...??? This is the second thread where someone has mentioned a loaner that is not the promised "top of the line, fully loaded" car that Elon promised. Did I miss a press release or something???
From a Tesla representative, I heard a bit back that they did a run of the loaner vehicles without the air suspension because they were low on supply (logistics issue) and decided to keep the production line running by making them without it.

Totally makes sense to me. No need for panic here.

AC, have you test driven the S and P? Curious what your thoughts are on the two. If you've only driven the P and are unsure what the S is like off the line, you should test one. Or maybe another Seattle TMC member would offer to give you a ride in an S. Then you can decide if you want to go for the upgrade. It's probably worth the time to try them both.

The S is going to outrun most cars on the road (especially at altitude here in Colorado). My wife asked if I was disappointed because I didn't get the P.

I told her it was the best 10k I never spent.

The S is still very quick!

AC, have you test driven the S and P? Curious what your thoughts are on the two. If you've only driven the P and are unsure what the S is like off the line, you should test one. Or maybe another Seattle TMC member would offer to give you a ride in an S. Then you can decide if you want to go for the upgrade. It's probably worth the time to try them both.

I've only driven a P85. I guess I should just sign up for another drive and specify that I want an S85/air so I can compare.

- - - Updated - - -

The S is going to outrun most cars on the road (especially at altitude here in Colorado). My wife asked if I was disappointed because I didn't get the P.

I keep hearing that the S is plenty fast. I agree with Crispix that I should probably just drive one (oh darn:) )and make my decision based on first-hand experience. The $10K isn't killer but it buys me a full wrap and leaves extra to cover insurance for a while - so it's not throwaway either.

We just had a P loaner and liked it less than our S85. I like a sporty ride and find the S more than satisfying while the P was noticeably noisier and harsher - probably mainly due to the 21" rims. Much to our surprise my wife and I both came away thinking we take the S over the P at the same price (unless of course you just traded wheels with someone who likes the giant wheel look). Just wrecked a tire on a piece of metal and it was also nice to pay only half as much for the replacement as well.

From a Tesla representative, I heard a bit back that they did a run of the loaner vehicles without the air suspension because they were low on supply (logistics issue) and decided to keep the production line running by making them without it.

Totally makes sense to me. No need for panic here.

No panic, just curiosity. I though in another thread someone spoke of a 60 kWh loaner too. I don't have any intentions of trading up, but was kinda hoping for a fully tricked out model when I do take my car in for service.

Quick poll. Trying to weigh the value proposition of S85 vs. P85 against the $10K price difference. What does the community think, worth it? If so please share your thoughts on why and what options you'd trade away to offset the cost increase.

Related question, is the Plus package a significant improvement over a straight P85?

This used to be an easier question to answer because the P85 included a number of extras that are now options. The extra $10K was buying a lot more than just horsepower. Furthermore, some of those extras—such as carbon fiber trim—were only available on the P85.

I believe the P85 does have a slightly sportier tuning to the air suspension.

I do find the P85's extra power useful in certain situations.

I have an S60 (even slower than the S85) and it's by far the fastest car (not top speed, acceleration, which is what matters) I ever owned - and I cannot imagine wanting a faster car. I've driven a P85+ and it's fine. But in my daily driving there would be zero difference in fun at a more than $20k price difference.