Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S/X Palladium Motorized Screen Tilt Kit

Which kit would you prefer? See post for details.

• Mechanical

Votes: 30 30.3%
  • Switches

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Simple Integration

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Full Integration

Votes: 60 60.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can rent Toolbox 3.0 for $165/hour or $500/month....or make a friend at a Tesla certified body shop.

ME GUSTA!

It says that I need to have the Ethernet port :( Some of us peasants only have the 8GB version which doesn't have it

I guess it's now a good excuse for me to order the newer infotainment with double the RAM, THEN proceed to go forward with the motor installation etc

Yah disappointing video as they all are as they end up with the unicorn 'you need a friend or to convince someone deep in Tesla to reconfigure your car' so it becomes a MEH teaser. The true reality is that you will RARELY tilt your screen once you tilt it left. I have published an extensive 'how to' in this forum on how to manually run it out to a fixed position and I kept it there for a year and never wanted to touch it again. Being an Engineer and ever curious, I spent the $ 95 and bought the new mechanism that has the motors and installed it. I mounted a couple of two way toggle switches in the little access panel just above the phone charger and can run the screen in and out manually BUT ! I don't recommend as the juice is not worth the squeeze. It was a fun little project but again I NEVER run it to another position ! For fun I placed it flat the other day and drove for a few minutes and then....UGH ! and ran it back out tilting to the left. BTW my August 2021 build came with the 03 body controller and the wiring that runs out to the motors so I would just need to track down the Unicorn Tech that would edit the config in my car (that I believe gets wiped with s/w updates) but it is not worth the time. WHAT I WAS INTERESTED IN, IN HIS VIDEO was the AMBIENT LIGHTING however I don't see that he ever replied to inquiries about that so I did some digging a found a kit on Ali Express that was about $ 90 all in delivered (RGB acrylic lighting strips) and once it arrives I will install it and then share the information as it looks 'easy peasy'

Yah disappointing video as they all are as they end up with the unicorn 'you need a friend or to convince someone deep in Tesla to reconfigure your car' so it becomes a MEH teaser. The true reality is that you will RARELY tilt your screen once you tilt it left. I have published an extensive 'how to' in this forum on how to manually run it out to a fixed position and I kept it there for a year and never wanted to touch it again. Being an Engineer and ever curious, I spent the $ 95 and bought the new mechanism that has the motors and installed it. I mounted a couple of two way toggle switches in the little access panel just above the phone charger and can run the screen in and out manually BUT ! I don't recommend as the juice is not worth the squeeze. It was a fun little project but again I NEVER run it to another position ! For fun I placed it flat the other day and drove for a few minutes and then....UGH ! and ran it back out tilting to the left. BTW my August 2021 build came with the 03 body controller and the wiring that runs out to the motors so I would just need to track down the Unicorn Tech that would edit the config in my car (that I believe gets wiped with s/w updates) but it is not worth the time. WHAT I WAS INTERESTED IN, IN HIS VIDEO was the AMBIENT LIGHTING however I don't see that he ever replied to inquiries about that so I did some digging a found a kit on Ali Express that was about $ 90 all in delivered (RGB acrylic lighting strips) and once it arrives I will install it and then share the information as it looks 'easy peasy'
You don't happen to live in Southern California do you? I wish someone could help me do this. I'm not handy at all. Tilt screen was a main reason I bought the S and was so bummed when it was delivered without it (it was on website when I ordered). Bugs me so much to this day!

Reactions: josahua
My Sept 21 build came with 02-B.

Yeah, I asked him about the lights …..and nothing. Can’t wait to see what you got from Aliexpress! Post the link to check it out.

Its a bit of a thread hijack but.....

I ordered a '6 in 1' kit as well as a '1 in 1' kit. These kits are ALL for the 3/Y and the dash is too wide on the S for the long piece in the '6 in 1' so my plan is to use the two long strips on the main dash and then the four doors. You can get much more complex kits from this store that have foot well lights etc but being a simple Engineer....I am going with the same program I did with the tilt screen..... select my favourite color and leave it alone. I don't need rainbows and light chasers... just a nice ambient strip light. I saw another video on Youtube where a guy designed a nice simple circuit that can tap into the existing ambient lights and trigger the new lighting system to go on and off so it then works from the touch screen. If I can buy vs build I will do it so this is on the way.

For my projects, I take power from the connector that feeds the centre console charging tray. Lots of juice there and EASY to get at. This little board will take + and - from that point and the 'trigger' will be tied to the + wire on one of the ambient lights that exist. The Tesla ambient lighting circuit is super sensitive (thus why there are NO third party replacements for the Palladium Model S ambient lights - Abstract Ocean tried for two years now an no joy) so you cannot power the new lighting system from that circuit but you can use it to turn it on and off through this little box.

I should start a new thread.....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-02-11 at 11.27.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-02-11 at 11.27.03 AM.png
    285.9 KB · Views: 30

I ordered a '6 in 1' kit as well as a '1 in 1' kit. These kits are ALL for the 3/Y and the dash is too wide on the S for the long piece in the '6 in 1' so my plan is to use the two long strips on the main dash and then the four doors. You can get much more complex kits from this store that have foot well lights etc but being a simple Engineer....I am going with the same program I did with the tilt screen..... select my favourite color and leave it alone. I don't need rainbows and light chasers... just a nice ambient strip light. I saw another video on Youtube where a guy designed a nice simple circuit that can tap into the existing ambient lights and trigger the new lighting system to go on and off so it then works from the touch screen. If I can buy vs build I will do it so this is on the way.

For my projects, I take power from the connector that feeds the centre console charging tray. Lots of juice there and EASY to get at. This little board will take + and - from that point and the 'trigger' will be tied to the + wire on one of the ambient lights that exist. The Tesla ambient lighting circuit is super sensitive (thus why there are NO third party replacements for the Palladium Model S ambient lights - Abstract Ocean tried for two years now an no joy) so you cannot power the new lighting system from that circuit but you can use it to turn it on and off through this little box.

I installed this on my dash but found it created too much glare on my side windows at night even with the dimmer turned all the way down. The control box also loses its last state memory overnight too. Unplugged them and sorta lost interest after that.

• Helpful
Reactions: Proppilot

Link to the Ambient Lighting Circuit Video?

no no no. This is much simpler. The existing 'ambient lights' (I quote as they are just white cabin lights but called ambient lighting on the screen) can be tapped into with a circuit like this so when you turn them on, your new RGB light strips turn on. You already have a button that says 'ambient lighting' so this allows that button (screen button) to control the new lights as well. By control I mean turn them on and off. This way, your new RGB strips will also go on and off when the existing cabin lights do. Nothing to do with the promised but never delivered actual collared ambient lights.

Reactions: Evee and misc3r
no no no. This is much simpler. The existing 'ambient lights' (I quote as they are just white cabin lights but called ambient lighting on the screen) can be tapped into with a circuit like this so when you turn them on, your new RGB light strips turn on. You already have a button that says 'ambient lighting' so this allows that button (screen button) to control the new lights as well. By control I mean turn them on and off. This way, your new RGB strips will also go on and off when the existing cabin lights do. Nothing to do with the promised but never delivered actual collared ambient lights.
Yup yup. You've put it more eloquently. I was directly answering wrt the RGB GUI needing a SW configuration change. The RBG control is clearly done off-board in your implantation and you are leveraging the existing Ambient Lighting line as a trigger (no SW change necessary). It's smart and a great hack.

Does that lighting kit have an ext input line for brightness/dimmer?