Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PiS Poland's rhetoric towards Germany is as rabid as towards Germany. I don't say more about those whackjob Kaczyński brothers, as this would be too political.
Heaven forbid the poles would bear a grudge for Prussia and then Germany for leading the dismemberment of Poland and then doing everything possible to keep Poland from being created in the treaty of Versailles and then conducting further crimes against humanity too numerous to mention in collaboration with Stalin...shocking that people remember. If you don’t know your history is suppressing and destroying Poland than maybe a good time to pick up a primer.

If Germany was doing 1/4 as much as Poland is to help Ukraine the war would Likely be wrapping up. That ignores the fact that Germany was the prime enabler of Putin to begin with and even tried to increase Putin’s aims as recently as 2022.

Ohh and this ignores the hugely ironic fact that if the POLES had not led the on ground overthrow of the communist than Merkel and her useless cronies would never have had a chance to “lead” a united Germany and gorge themselves at the trough . United Germany owes it’s existence to Poland. For a German to complain about the poles actions is beyond sad. Just a view of someone on the ground that fateful year in Helsinki.

Last edited:
Heaven forbid the poles would bear a grudge for Prussia and then Germany for leading the dismemberment of Poland and then doing everything possible to keep Poland from being created in the treaty of Versailles and then conducting further crimes against humanity too numerous to mention in collaboration with Stalin...shocking that people remember. If you don’t know your history is suppressing and destroying Poland than maybe a good time to pick up a primer.

If Germany was doing 1/4 as much as Poland is to help Ukraine the war would Likely be wrapping up. That ignores the fact that Germany was the prime enabler of Putin to begin with and even tried to increase Putin’s aims as recently as 2022.

Ohh and this ignores the hugely ironic fact that if the POLES had not led the on ground overthrow of the communist than Merkel and her useless cronies would never have had a chance to “lead” a united Germany and gorge themselves at the trough . United Germany owes it’s existence to Poland. For a German to complain about the poles actions is beyond sad. Just a view of someone on the ground that fateful year in Helsinki.
Funny that those Poles who haven't voted PiS don't have these issues. Neither have the huge number of Poles who are living in Germany. Poland is never too proud to ask for German money, though.
Finally, Poland is the biggest recipient of EU transfer payments, yet it has never show any solidarity with anyone until it had a raging fire in its own front yard all of a sudden.
If you had any idea of history you would also know that the Poles weren't the first ones to rebel against Soviet rule.

Then it's hi! hi! hee!
In the field artillery,
Shout out your numbers loud and strong,
For where'er you go,
You will always know
That the Caissons go rolling along.

In the storm, in the night,
Action left or action right
See those Caissons go rolling along
Limber front, limber rear,
Prepare to mount you cannoneer
And those Caissons go rolling along.

U.S. Deploys 100 New Tank Transporters to Move M1 Tanks Quickly in Europe | (8 hrs ago)
At 6:40, unloading a tank... looks like all 70 tons is entirely on the rear trailer axel... that can't be good for the trailer.

Reactions: ShareLofty
Informative

I have no insight as to whether the Polish T72 > T91 "Twardy" upgrades fix these issues to any extent. Also it is notable that the rumoured Italian MBT (Ariete) that may be offered is about 10-20t lighter than Challenger/Leopard/Abrams/Leclerc. The Ariete is 54t so midway between T72 at 40t and Challenger/etc at 75-80t.

I would think the problem was obvious. The T-72 has the autoloader and the T-62 doesn't. The T-64, T-80, and T-90 share the same problem with the T-72.

Early in the war I was reading something from an old tanker who observed the T-64s and later were going up like roman candles and it was the autoloader. The T-62 has more conventional ammunition storage and a 4th crew member to load the gun. The later tanks have the rounds on a carousel in the hull. Any penetrating hit runs a high risk of setting off the ammunition in the autoloader.

Most western tanks don't use autoloaders because of the risk and they also employ wet storage and blow out panels in the ammunition storage. All these things protect the crew. Crew survival is not only good for morale, but it's also good for force retention. Keeping highly trained and experienced crews alive contribute to a higher quality force over time.

The M4 Sherman was not a great tank compared to what the Germans and Russians were fielding by 1944. It was even vulnerable to the late model Panzer IVs. But crew survival was better than most other tanks on the battlefield. The US had lots of extra tanks so a knocked out tank could be replaced within hours if the crew survived. My father's cousin was a Sherman tank commander in western Europe. He had a number of tanks shot out from under him.

There were many stories this summer of the Russians running with two man tank crews because they were running out of trained tank crews. The commander had to be the gunner and commander which makes the tank pretty much useless. One crew turrets went out of fashion in 1940 even when the main tank gun caliber was 37mm (easy for one man to handle) because it put too much burden on the commander. The Ukrainians captured a Russian navy sailor whose training was as a torpedoman who had been forced to drive a tank. Another crew of a knocked out tank were carrying military ID that said they were military meteorologists. The crew was dead in that case.

Russia has been able to pull a lot of tanks out of reserve, but the crews were often killed with the tanks which left them short of crews.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: madodel and unk45
At 6:40, unloading a tank... looks like all 70 tons is entirely on the rear trailer axel... that can't be good for the trailer.

I don't have experience with those new 20 tire trailers, but I'd imagine they have axle snubbers to transfer the load from the load deck to the axle (or bogey, or however it's engineered). One thing I do know is they overengineer everything w. Mil Std, then overpay weigh too much... :p

Cheers!

Reactions: SmokyPeat
I would think the problem was obvious. The T-72 has the autoloader and the T-62 doesn't. The T-64, T-80, and T-90 share the same problem with the T-72.

Early in the war I was reading something from an old tanker who observed the T-64s and later were going up like roman candles and it was the autoloader. The T-62 has more conventional ammunition storage and a 4th crew member to load the gun. The later tanks have the rounds on a carousel in the hull. Any penetrating hit runs a high risk of setting off the ammunition in the autoloader.
1. The statistical analysis is of both Ukraine and Russian tank losses, so who is operating the tanks is irrelevant.
2. It is worth reading both the analysis itself, and the subsequent comments and linked report.
3. There is some evidence that it is not the autoloader that is the direct design/operations issue.

..... wow !!!! 800 !!! ....

1674920773914.png

Last edited:
Zelensky says he's not sure Putin 'still alive'

Video: Zelensky says he is 'not sure whether Putin is still alive'

This seems to have happened already 19th of January, first I hear.

from Guardian,

"A total of 321 heavy tanks have been promised to Ukraine by several countries, Ukraine’s ambassador to France said on Friday. Vadym Omelchenko told French TV station BFM that “delivery terms vary for each case and we need this help as soon as possible”, while not specifying the number of tanks per country."

Zelensky says he's not sure Putin 'still alive'

Video: Zelensky says he is 'not sure whether Putin is still alive'

This seems to have happened already 19th of January, first I hear.
Wow...talk about a propagandist...

Good to see the Russians are having problems with inflation too. :)

Balloon tanks may have worked a treat for Patton/US in early '44, but not so much in the age of modern spy says. It didn't always work great in WW2 either. In one case the Germans built an elaborate faux base and just as they were putting on the finishing touches some British bomber pilots dropped a couple loads of wooden bombs on it with choice handwritten messages. Funny stuff.