Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New to us X, 19 Raven, contact previous owner? Maintenance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
411506966_10232514778552410_2240048826555512365_n.jpg

Tesla World Record attempt model 3 #201 and another. Guess I got a thing for the trying times of 2019.

Thrilled with our new to use 2019 May build Raven X. The front axles sound like Chip and Dale putting away their nuts for the winter whenever we punch it, but other than that it is darn near perfect. The previous owners took good care of it (although they didn't get the axles in under the warranty trip wire). No problem, we expected that expense.

Questions:
1) Would it be rude to contact the previous owner and ask her to transfer the vehicle to me in her Tesla app? The vehicle still has her subscription going and assiming it also has her account for supercharging. Figure she would want to get that changed over. But, it might freak her out that we have her information after the vehicle went though a couple used car dealers. What is the protocol? Our dealer (one man shop) went to Egypt for the holidays, so it is going to be a minute (probably a month or two) for the title to come back in our name. We would like to use the vehicle prior to that. (( and confession, I sent the previous owner a Christmas Card. Just curious if this is a common thing in the Tesla community ))
2) Without the vehicle in our app, can we still get Tesla to repair it? The axle replacement cost ((I think from the threads)) is around $1,300. Might as well have them do it, although I'm capable of just doing it myself.
3) What is best practice? Run it on **low** all the time to minimize axle wear? Does this kill the inside rear tires ridiculously prematurely (20K replacement on 20 inch tires is OK)?

I've noticed that Full Self Driving is more aggressive accelerating out of turns (waking up the Chip and Dale storing nuts in the CV joint operation). That surprises me. Also and more importantly **FSD does NOT recognize school zones around our house** which will gain us the ire of neighbors and speeding tickets as this is CLOSELY MONITORED with speed cameras (fair enough... see kids) where we live. so:

4) any tricks to get FSD to slow down for School Zones? (it must see the signs, but does not show them or react properly)

Thanks folks! Glad to be a part of your team!

Reactions: Lindenwood
It's a bit odd to contact a previous owner with a Christmas card if it went through a dealer and FSD doesn't recognize school zones or stopped school buses. You have to manually adjust or disengage.

How does everyone else do it?

This registration is in the process of going PA Owner to PA Dealer to Auction to GA Dealer (in Egypt for holiday) to us ... that is going to take a while and it would be massively unfair to put a dime of supercharging or subscription fees on the previous owner. Not really wanting to park the thing for the three - four months it will take the various DMVs to produce a registration (on Dealer drive out tags currently). Didn't stalk the previous owner, but one down swipe gave us an address to drop a kind note in the mail.

We have already wiped all the prior owner's data off the car. If they wish to reach out, great! If they don't we have other cars we can drive and we will simply take the hit on our trade in for the delay.

FSD not recognizing School Zones and School Busses is a pretty big oversight. Not only are these very genuine safety concerns, they are some of the biggest penalties where we live. All the School Busses have cameras. The one time I failed to stop as the bus had *just* (<2 seconds) stopped I got a call from the local Sergeant. He said every noncompliance involving a School Bus was reviewed. Nowadays they've automated it and just send a massive ticket in the mail.

Last edited:
FSD not recognizing School Zones and School Busses is a pretty big oversight. Not only are these very genuine safety concerns, they are some of the biggest penalties where we live. All the School Busses have cameras. The one time I failed to stop as the bus had *just* (<2 seconds) stopped I got a call from the local Sergeant. He said every noncompliance involving a School Bus was reviewed. Nowadays they've automated it and just send a massive ticket in the mail.
It's a beta product...you aren't using it for conveinance, but to help test and make it better. It's not near it's final form. It will still randomly turn into oncoming traffic, run redlights, etc...There are only like 4 signs it recognizes as well.

I say all of this not to hate on it, but to let you know that it's not a finished product and when you use it you should pay full attention. School zones, busses, Yield signs, people holding stop/slow signs will all come in due time.

View attachment 1001000

Tesla World Record attempt model 3 #201 and another. Guess I got a thing for the trying times of 2019.

Thrilled with our new to use 2019 May build Raven X. The front axles sound like Chip and Dale putting away their nuts for the winter whenever we punch it, but other than that it is darn near perfect. The previous owners took good care of it (although they didn't get the axles in under the warranty trip wire). No problem, we expected that expense.

Questions:
1) Would it be rude to contact the previous owner and ask her to transfer the vehicle to me in her Tesla app? The vehicle still has her subscription going and assiming it also has her account for supercharging. Figure she would want to get that changed over. But, it might freak her out that we have her information after the vehicle went though a couple used car dealers. What is the protocol? Our dealer (one man shop) went to Egypt for the holidays, so it is going to be a minute (probably a month or two) for the title to come back in our name. We would like to use the vehicle prior to that. (( and confession, I sent the previous owner a Christmas Card. Just curious if this is a common thing in the Tesla community ))
2) Without the vehicle in our app, can we still get Tesla to repair it? The axle replacement cost ((I think from the threads)) is around $1,300. Might as well have them do it, although I'm capable of just doing it myself.
3) What is best practice? Run it on **low** all the time to minimize axle wear? Does this kill the inside rear tires ridiculously prematurely (20K replacement on 20 inch tires is OK)?

I've noticed that Full Self Driving is more aggressive accelerating out of turns (waking up the Chip and Dale storing nuts in the CV joint operation). That surprises me. Also and more importantly **FSD does NOT recognize school zones around our house** which will gain us the ire of neighbors and speeding tickets as this is CLOSELY MONITORED with speed cameras (fair enough... see kids) where we live. so:

4) any tricks to get FSD to slow down for School Zones? (it must see the signs, but does not show them or react properly)

Thanks folks! Glad to be a part of your team!

I love the Christmas Card.