Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Running out of power & roadtrips

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My father-in-law asked the question, "what happens when you run out of battery?"

One of the mag's (I think it was Motor Trend) was driving Elon's car on a range test drive, called up Tesla and asked them the same question.

Tesla's answer: "It stops."

I'm guessing that there's a hidden reserve charge in place that will keep the battery from bricking so that you've got some time (I'd guess days barring extreme heat or cold) to get the car to a power source.

One of the mag's (I think it was Motor Trend) was driving Elon's car on a range test drive, called up Tesla and asked them the same question.

Tesla's answer: "It stops."

I'm not sure that I place a lot of faith in Motor Trend's statement as they did some rather silly things during their test drive that gave the impression they scripted the drive beforehand.

I also agree with you. Then while planning in the USA (and especially in California) you have many choices because you have a super charger network that is also increasing. In Italy we have not such a choice. In particular in the South of Italy (unbelievable but true) we don't even have public plugs!
In spite of this I firmly believe that electric cars are in the future of mankind and that in order not to run out of power it's a matter of good planning.

here places you can plug in Camping Italy ;-)