Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Running non staggered on P85+?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's both doable, and recommended by many people.

I'm running non-staggered on my P85+ right now. In fact I'm a real heretic in that I'm even running 19" wheels on mine.

The upside is decreased tire wear due to tire rotations, as well as cheaper and easier to find rear tires, coupled with better efficiency due to smaller contact area on the rear tires.

The downside is that slightly narrower rear tires mean slightly less grip on those tires when you floor it. So I don't recommend it if you plan to race the car a lot.

I have 19's for winter (rain) in CA. I mounted Michelin PS3's which have good wet braking. They rotate just fine. You need to let the car learn the new set of sensors each time you switch, which is easy from the settings/controls.

I run kind of a hybrid setup on my P85+. All four tires are identical but I can't rotate them because I still run the OEM staggered wheels.

This wasn't really a choice for me. The car goes through rear tires every 8 to 10 thousand kilometers and the availability of tires in the 265mm width is non-existent in my rural area.

I guess what I need to do is just buy a whole new set of rims for summer use but I haven't been able to decide on a set that achieves the right balance of aesthetics, performance, and efficiency while still offering a decent selection of compatible tires.

I'm running non-staggered 21" rims on my P85+ and love it. I feel like a broken record for those who have heard this before.

I traded my rear 21"x9" rims for 2 21"x8.5" rims (same as front) and put on 245/35/21s on all four corners. There is no perceptible difference in handling. The difference between the staggered setup and non-staggered is just 3/4" in tire width. That's it! I can now buy better/cheaper tires and rotate them each season as needed (Hankook Ventus V12 evo2).

I also run 19" rims/tires in the winter.

I run kind of a hybrid setup on my P85+. All four tires are identical but I can't rotate them because I still run the OEM staggered wheels.

What 245mm tires fit both the 8.5" and 9" rims? Based on the 20" TST Sportlines coming out soon, they're offering 20"x9" rims for the front, so it looks like it's possible to run the 9" rims on the front, although I don't know if the 20" vs 21" rims would matter.

TST 20" rims: TST Pre-order - Tesla Aftermarket Wheel 20x9.0 20x10.0

Reactions: rpez021