Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Foundry License Plate Bracket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Excimer, I just looked at the EV Components web site and it shows the license plate bracket as "in stock" but you have to phone them to order it. Also, they have spelled "license" wrong so, if you do not have the direct link, you are better to search for the product by using the keyword "Tesla".

As I have mentioned in another thread, I ordered this aftermarket bracket for use on my 2.5 Roadster expected next week. The new 2.5 design does require that a fin in the front grill be bent slightly to fit the bracket in place. I have a couple of pictures showing the bracket and the bending of the fin (thanks to Dustin at Tesla), but I don't know how to post pictures from my computer rather than from a website with a URL. (help, anyone?)

I have emailed Jim Delgado at EV Components to see if he would consider redesigning the bracket for the 2.5 Roadster but I have not had a response back yet.

Also, Tesla Toronto showed me a new lightweight plastic front license plate holder that has been redesigned by Tesla for the 2.5 Roadster. As it still requires mounting to the bumper of the car, I prefer the Foundry / EV Components bracket because it attaches to the tow hook hole and can be removed with no extra holes having to be added to the car.

Prime,

I contacted EV Components myself, and James Morrison gave me this reply:

EV Components is no longer shipping orders. I am forwarding your email to Lithium Depot.
They have those in stock.

Thanks,
James

I have not heard from Lithium Depot since receiving that email yesterday. I did a search on the Lithium Depot website and could not bring up the license plate bracket.

Last edited:
Steve is here. Perhaps he can make a new batch. I might do it if there was enough interest to make a quantity. If the 2.5 towhook bracket has to be different then that cuts down on sales of a single design.

When my Roadster arrives this week (whoo-hoo!), I will be better able to comment on the Foundry/ EV Components/ Lithium Depot (just what do we call this front license plate bracket??) and how it mounts on the 2.5 design. As I said earlier, the fin bending problem doesn't seem too bad but I don't know how to post pictures.

Also, I have asked Tesla to give me their new bracket even though I have told them to install the "aftermarket" bracket.

I would also respectfully recommend that these products come with the mounting bolt and maybe even a screwdriver to allow for removing the bolt if the car had to be towed. I would certainly pay $10 more to not have to go out to source these items for installing the bracket and for adding to the car's emergency kit.

I got the Foundry Bracket. Although I do not have plates yet I test mounted the bracket. I had to get a screw which works from a hardware store. Mounting it confused me for a minute but it was not hard and I did not need to bend anything to put it on my new 2.5.
Tesla gave me the unmounted bracket without my asking for it. The Tesla bracket weighs in at 180g while the Foundry bracket plus the screw is 346g. I may need to carry an 8mm alan wrench to remove the Foundry bracket if I ever need to be towed.

plate.jpg

Although I do not have plates yet ...
View attachment 1000

Hi Jaanton. Thanks for the update on the Foundry bracket including the weight difference between this and the Tesla front license plate bracket. I was curious about your comment that you don't have plates yet? You took delivery of the car 11 days ago, are you not driving it yet?

I have asked Tesla Toronto to source the bolt for me. There were two people who described suggestions about the bolt, so I thought I would summarize them here for future users. One is from this thread: "The bolt you need to purchase to make the attachment is 10 mm diameter and 1.5 mm pitch. I happened to have purchased one 30 mm long, but it does not need to be that long. Try to purchase a bolt with a head other than a hex. The one I bought has a 17 mm hex head and needed some washers to get a firm grip down in the base of the V where the holder attaches to the tow hole. A bolt with an Allen, Philips, or other head probably would fit easier."

and the other recommendation came from the Tesla Owners Forum: "I ordered a "M10-1.50 x 20mm Button Head Cap Screw A2 Stainless Steel" (#31300620) from fastener-warehouse.com which worked perfectly."

Now I want to find a carbon fiber surround for the plate. I have decided to wait until the Roadster arrives before buying this as one site on eBay said their surround holder was not compatible with the Tesla, even though it looks to me like almost any cosmetic plate surround should work on the Foundry bracket.

Prime,

I contacted EV Components myself, and James Morrison gave me this reply:

EV Components is no longer shipping orders. I am forwarding your email to Lithium Depot.
They have those in stock.

Thanks,
James

I have not heard from Lithium Depot since receiving that email yesterday. I did a search on the Lithium Depot website and could not bring up the license plate bracket.

I would strongly advise you not to purchase the bracket from Lithium Depot. Lithium Depot is selling items that belong to EV Components in violation of 2 different court injunctions.

Best Regards

Dave Kois
Current EV Tech, LLC
http://www.currentevtech.com
253-988-5020
Skype dkoisii

So, (waaaay back when I was originally looking), finding a true carbon fiber plate frame was hard. I did find one, but I think it's easier now (Herrington, Griots' ?). The ones I got didn't have screw holes in the bottom, so I epoxied binder clips at the bottom to slip on to the bracket (the frame I got has the thicker bottom side with no screw holes - but I wasn't about to have anything potentially vibrating on my nice peaceful non-ICE car). It's worked out really well.

Note that many places sell 'carbon fiber look' frames - not the same thing. And not all of the true carbon fiber frames are of the same quality - I bought one set that was clearly maybe just one layer of carbon fiber glued on top of plastic with really cheap resin on top. The good ones are very light.

It was worth all the hassle, though. Carbon fiber plate frames are really nice bookends on a spectacular car - especially when combined with the front plate bracket! (Drill holes in my font bumper? Never!)

Lithium Depot

I contacted EV Components about the License Plate Bracket and was referred by James Morrison to Bethany at Lithium Depot.

I received an email from Bethany today stating that they were $75 and they were in stock. I checked their website and found the bracket in the "Closeout Items" section without any image.

http://www.lithiumdepot.com/closeout-items/tlpb.html

Well, I placed my order and should have it in about a week. I will let you know if it's the one we've all been discussing.

I contacted EV Components about the License Plate Bracket and was referred by James Morrison to Bethany at Lithium Depot.

I received an email from Bethany today stating that they were $75 and they were in stock. I checked their website and found the bracket in the "Closeout Items" section without any image.

http://www.lithiumdepot.com/closeout-items/tlpb.html

Well, I placed my order and should have it in about a week. I will let you know if it's the one we've all been discussing.

Have you received your bracket? I'm thinking about ordering it ... my roadster arrives within the next 4-7 days.

It looks like the Foundry bracket is getting harder to find as supplies (& suppliers) are drying-up. I purchased the bracket ahead of the delivery of my Roadster even though I had seen the new Tesla front license plate bracket.

I answered the pre-delivery questionnaire that I did not want Tesla to install the front license bracket but when the car got delivered, the front license was already mounted. It doesn't seem to be a bad solution, so people looking for the Foundry aftermarket bracket might first take a look at the Tesla product since it also mounts in the grille and seems to solve the license situation just fine.