Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Electrical HELP...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's good to hear. We need companies like this and people to take the challenge pursuing and testing EV technology as well as supporting it. Henry has amazingly contributed and done his part individually and I highly admire that. Thank you.

Again I see ElectricLove as a pure EV enthusiast like most of us here. He's had multiple Roadsters, a Volt, he has shown he's committed to EVs for sure. He's connected with a business who has accessibility to technology and infrastructure that we as individuals don't. Electriclove gave his honest feedback and we should respect that. I also don't think its wrong that he comes here for information as long as he contributes. We all need and depend on each other to support and appreciate our Roadsters as well as to keep them on the road as icons to the EV revolution. And if they're recovering salvaged ones as well as learning and offering services or parts that we all could use and like at hopefully affordable prices, I'm all in.

Note we are all under criticism when we post. Its not a bad thing. I make human errors and mistakes. My intention is to help others and offer the most accurate information I can supply. So we have a checks and balances system here, that's a good thing as long as you don't become emotional. With Henry having a positive experience, I which also have not had spam but don't want it :), feel we have more of a benefit of supporting Electriclove.

So with that Electriclove can show his boss that people in the EV world are typically smarter than the rest, don't like spam, but if you do come out with something very intriguing and cost effective, you'll have people flock towards your business naturally and the advertising is word of mouth. That's the best positive advertising. Not spamming. How about Gruber become a sponsor on TMC as well as other EV boards? That's a great move for everyone and should be tax-deductable on you bosses end Electriclove. Can you float that one to your boss?

I already floated this to him, he is the type to hold his purse strings tight, I've had a lot of luck getting him to spend but he was too keen on his spam campaign and wanted to see how it would pan out... I spoke with him about it today and got his commitment on never selling the list and let him know its probably doing more harm than good that we sent it out, etc... Anyways, I also spoke to him about the opportunity to legitimately advertise here on TMC, he said he had a note in with the guy who is in charge of that but hadn't heard back anything on how to move forward with it, I am pretty sure he is on-board with the idea at this point and I'm hopeful we move that direction!

By the way, EV enthusiast is an understatement for me, haha! I've been driving EV since before Tesla ever sold a Roadster, I've had, I think, about 10 of them so far, the roadster is currently part of our "fleet" which includes 4 EV! (Leaf, Volt, Roadster, DIY-Yaris-EV and 1 old VW Westfalia which needs to be rehomed!) I'm probably more like an EV obsessive than anything else! I'm very lucky to be in a position at my company where I get to work on the things I love and get paid!

We have done 1 PEM repair for a customer so far and it went really well! We currently have a customer Prius which we are building a new higher capacity Lithium HV battery for! And I have it in my mind that we will be building a booster pack for the Roadster soon! (one that installs in the boot, weighs about 90 lbs and provides an additional 50 miles of range; for an aging Roadster pack it may be a happy medium between buying a new pack and doing nothing! I also am convinced it will allow the Tesla pack to last longer by off-setting some of the stress/usage)

Anyways, very exciting stuff and I am optimistic about the future of the EV world and will continue to do everything I can to make it a reality for everyone!

Last edited:
That's interesting about a booster pack. I was thinking it might make sense to have a booster ultra-capacitor as a level 1 cache for the battery. Not for added range, but to prevent/reduce voltage sag during hard acceleration and to reduce the instantaneous peak power demands on the battery to prolong its life.

That's interesting about a booster pack. I was thinking it might make sense to have a booster ultra-capacitor as a level 1 cache for the battery. Not for added range, but to prevent/reduce voltage sag during hard acceleration and to reduce the instantaneous peak power demands on the battery to prolong its life.

i agree
that would also be a significant innovation. @pv4ev has been doing some interesting research on this.

Unfortunately, you guys are correct, this is spam from us... It was put out against my judgement and I warned it wouldn't go over well, but it was out of my control... I am not the owner of this company, I am an employee, and the owner believes in this sort of "guerilla marketing", I do not!

OK. I appreciate your position, but please tell your boss that from my point of view we've just blacklisted Gruber Power Services eMail across about 1.3million+ mailboxes my organisation manages.

Also, no more technical support or suggestions.

Sorry, but completely unacceptable (particularly given the eMail addresses I saw targeted).

Hatespam.jpg

Yes a roadster with a trailer hitch towing a booster pack. This on a car with a 100 pound weight limit in the trunk. I wish this idea development the best

I don't think anybody mentioned anything about towing a trailer

I think his point was, with a 100 lb. weight limit for the trunk, you're not putting a 400 lb "booster battery" back there....and you're obviously not gonna strap it to the roof. I think the only option would be to tow it behind you (unless someone can make a 15Kw battery pack that weighs less than 100 lbs).

There's a bunch of space under the trunk box; you could probably reinforce it. If you don't care about extra range (which I don't) and you want extra power to combat voltage sag, you could put in some nutty LiPo batteries (watch out for fire coming out of the trunk).

Turnigy nano-tech 5000mah 10S 65~130C Lipo Pack
Put in 11 of these packs and you could get a continuous output kick of 132kW or a peak output of 264kW. That would weigh about 35 pounds. The energy content of the booster pack would be insubstantial (2kWh), but the power output would be very substantial.

Speaking of trailers, I love this picture of JB Straubel towing a refrigerator with his Roadster.
View attachment 109988

Note that this is an Engineering Prototype car which had an opening behind the front tire into the space underneath the door. In the production bodywork that space was closed off, but even so we still have too much trouble with dirt under the doors.

What I'm looking into would be a pack of ~12kwh capacity that would weigh 100lbs, it isn't a huge booster pack and it will fit within the confines of the trunk and still leave a less tiny than the currently tiny amount of space to store a few things (goal would be to ensure the soft-top and charging cords fit in at a minimum).

My Roadster has a trailer hitch as well! But I don't like the idea of having HV wiring exposed between the trailer and the car itself, maybe for a generator with an inertia kill-switch but I'd not like to have a mass of batteries out there (trailers are just so much easier to "lose control of").

roadstertrailer.PNG

The gentleman I bought it from, but I don't think he is on the forums... I haven't towed with it yet myself but will be doing so this weekend as we are moving, I'll definitely get photos (but I still have the cool UK plates on it!)

Adding weight behind the rear wheels is terrible when it comes to handling. Perhaps if it was removable so you only had it back there when absolutely necessary, but it's too big of a trade off for me to even consider.

My intention would be for it to be absolutely removable, it could be only added when necessary, maybe as a "rescue" pack or used only for an extended road-trip (ie. Phoenix to LA or LA-SF). However, for the drivers who aren't sticklers on handling (the commuter-only types) it may be a practical application to leave it installed and take some of the wear/tear off the main battery pack, I would probably do it this way personally but I certainly see the value in having it "hot-swappable" and easy to leave at home in the garage!

My intention would be for it to be absolutely removable, it could be only added when necessary, maybe as a "rescue" pack or used only for an extended road-trip (ie. Phoenix to LA or LA-SF). However, for the drivers who aren't sticklers on handling (the commuter-only types) it may be a practical application to leave it installed and take some of the wear/tear off the main battery pack, I would probably do it this way personally but I certainly see the value in having it "hot-swappable" and easy to leave at home in the garage!

The electric equivalent of the proverbial 1 gallon gas can? How would it hook up?

The electric equivalent of the proverbial 1 gallon gas can? How would it hook up?

Ha, awesome analogy!

It would have to integrate with the DC rails in the car, best way to access that is by adding a 4th "port" on the side of the PEM and affixing the input from the battery pack directly to the same input as the main HV pack. Would also have to have the Tesla monitoring the relays on the 2ndary pack (in concert with the primary pack), and of course the 2ndary pack would have its own BMS and would have to have the ability to open its contactors when appropriate...

I meant underneath the fans. There's probably enough space behind/below them for a little battery pack if you're using modern cells. Attaching to the rear subframe would be weird though.
How its made Electric Roadsters Tesla elecric car - YouTube

???? The trunk box less than an inch above the cooling fans. I'm not sure where you see extra space.

As to Supersnoop's point about it being a bad idea to make the car more rear weight biased, that's totally true. Driving the RUF Yellowbird in Gran Turismo definitely shows that.