Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yet another “vehicle won’t sleep” thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2020 Tesla Model 3 SR+ owner here, with close to obsessive teslafi monitoring over the years.
On March 19th 2024, a new non-sleeping pattern has started occurring:

Screenshot 2024-03-31 at 6.55.31 AM.png

Previously, vehicle would sleep just fine over night, here is a screen shot from Oct 18th night:
Screenshot 2024-03-31 at 6.56.05 AM.png

End result is that vehicle loses 4% SOC over night.
I can’t really think of anything that changed on the 19th, other than the following 2 events a few days prior:
  • 2023.44.30.25 update on March 15th
  • CCS1 retrofit performed by Tesla mobile technician on March 15th
Here is everything I’ve tried in attempts to narrow down the cause:
  • Power cycle the vehicle by
    • Pressing both buttons on the steering wheel
    • ‘Shut down’ thing on the screen
    • Disconnecting both HV and 12v
  • This vehicle is still on its original 12v lead acid battery, but I’ve never had any warnings and its seems healthy.. when I disconnected it from the car, it stayed at 12.6V.
  • Disconnected canserver and removed its adapter.
  • Removed all 3rd party apps (including teslafi) and changed Tesla account passwords on both Tesla accounts that have access to the vehicle.
  • Disconnected car from home wifi, which is kinda weak.
  • Disable ‘Allow Mobile Access’.
  • Remove all phone keys and turn both phones off.
With all of that, issue still reproduces. Car, once left alone for ~30 minutes, seems to start an endless cycling loop, where it falls asleep (can tell by contactor double click), and then 20 seconds later wakes up for no apparent reason (can tell by contractor single click), and then stays awake for 60 seconds and loop repeats.

I’ve created a ticket with service, and they’ve given me the usual spiel about how it’s normal for vehicle to lose 20 miles of range, etc. the ticket is still open, but they seem unable to determine the actual reason for these unexpected wake events. I’ll keep the thread updated with any outcomes from the service ticket, but I have little hope.

I am tempted to proactively replace the 12v, but I’m a bit doubtful and not a huge fan of wasting a seemingly ok battery. Any other things to try/experiment?

I am tempted to proactively replace the 12v, but I’m a bit doubtful and not a huge fan of wasting a seemingly ok battery. Any other things to try/experiment?
Replace the ~4 year old 12v. TBH I would have done this first before spending the hours and hours it looks like you invested in tracking this down while ignoring the most likely culprit.

Measuring battery voltage with no load isn’t going to give you a good sense of health.

Lead acid batteries are one of the most highly recycled materials on the planet - nothing gets “wasted.”

Reactions: rpiotro and Adam3
Reinstall current software.
I've failed to mention that I tried this as well, via service menu. However, given how fast it "re-installed" I am doubting it reinstalls everything..
Replace the ~4 year old 12v. TBH I would have done this first before spending the hours and hours it looks like you invested in tracking this down while ignoring the most likely culprit.

Measuring battery voltage with no load isn’t going to give you a good sense of health.

Lead acid batteries are one of the most highly recycled materials on the planet - nothing gets “wasted.”
Tesla service said they'll test 12v for me. If all else fails, I'll replace the 12v.

I've failed to mention that I tried this as well, via service menu. However, given how fast it "re-installed" I am doubting it reinstalls everything..

Tesla service said they'll test 12v for me. If all else fails, I'll replace the 12v.
Just replace it. The battery is relatively cheap. I have found that most modern autos with a heavy reliance on electronics require a very robust electrical system. Even a load test may not reveal deficiencies.

What's the worst that can happen? You'll have four more years of not worrying about the battery?

Reactions: Adam3
As mentioned earlier replacing 12v did not help. Factory reset did not help either. I’ve acquired 12v monitor and I can precisely tell how many sleep wake cycles occur overnight. I now worry about high voltage contractors wearing out prematurely because of this cycling

Attachments

• IMG_5271.png
    IMG_5271.png
    126 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5270.png
    IMG_5270.png
    120.6 KB · Views: 12