Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 1.5 Owners Wanting 3.0 Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not going to set a timeline on how long I am going to wait for a new 1.5 battery, but I can say that I won't be threatening Tesla with any action over the issue.
All Tesla has to do is continue to repair and support the original 1.5 battery. While I am of course very disappointed that there is so far no new and better 1.5 battery, Tesla is under no obligation legal or otherwise to offer me one m

Last edited:
This is all highly disappointing, but makes sense that tesla can't support the 1.5's and rest of the roadster models equally.
You can put me on the list for 100% wanting to buy a 3.0 battery if they ever make it technically possible.

Last edited:
Here is my first draft of a letter and I am open to suggestions. Assuming we all write a similar letter who/where would we send it to? If all of us will write something similar then may be can get a response.

Or if the group wants to sign a petition just let me know how to do that. Thank you

Frankly, I think this as a tweet might have the most chance of getting response, sometime after the launch of the Model X tomorrow. Maybe late next week?

@elonmusk: what is the plan for the longevity of Roadster 1.5s given no 3.0 availability? Sincerely, @500 worried early adopters.

It won't come from me, because I'm not the original owner. They don't care about me. But if some of the original signature or founder's series owners sent a tweet like this, there could be a response.

elon-straubel.jpg

These guys are both enthusiastic original Roadster 1.5 owners. If only they had some sway over deciding how well Tesla supports the Roadster 1.5.

Wow, great photo, haven't seen that one before. 2008-era? It isn't often that we see photos of Elon with a huge grin. JB looks his usual somewhat reserved self.

The pic is from my blog ;-) Re: P1 Arriving Now! :) | Tesla Motors

Elon and JB do both have early Roadsters. I'm not sure that Elon is still driving his though. I had heard it is now on display, rather than on the road. I could be wrong here.

I'm not sure what components JB's car has inside. His is a very early prototype that has been modified many times over the years. If I had to guess, I would say that his has been upgrade to at least 2.0 spec.

I am a 2.5 owner, and you can add me to the list of Roadster owners who think that Tesla should support a similar battery upgrade to the 1.5. However, as others have said, I wonder whether adding our names to that list, when we aren't necessarily buying a battery for a 1.5 makes a difference. If the development cost to overcome the issue that has led to no 1.5 battery upgrade to date costs a lot of money, I wonder how many 2.0 and 2.5 owners would be willing to shoulder a portion of those development costs spread across all battery upgrades (not just the 1.5's but increase the cost of 2.0 and 2.5 so all upgrades were the same price to keep Tesla "breaking even")? Then there'd be some skin in the game, but without that, I am not sure Tesla would really care.

I might be wrong, but there is no upgrade path from a 1.5 to a 2.0 (i.e. everything is incompatible, from the PEM to the lack of switch pack to an entirely new firmware). Hence it would make sense that the 1.5 is dead-ended.

I might be wrong, but there is no upgrade path from a 1.5 to a 2.0 (i.e. everything is incompatible, from the PEM to the lack of switch pack to an entirely new firmware). Hence it would make sense that the 1.5 is dead-ended.

asgard - you are generally correct, though Tesla upgraded a few prototypes from 1.0, or 1.5, to 2.0 spec. It requires a serious overhaul of the car, but it can be done. For purposes of a 3.0 battery upgrade though, they would need to develop it for the 1.5 car. I'm not sure what the exact issue is. I wish Tesla would tell us so we didn't have to speculate. It would also be nice if they could tell us if they are considering an upgrade path for 1.5 cars.

The pic is from my blog ;-) Re: P1 Arriving Now! :) | Tesla Motors

Elon and JB do both have early Roadsters. I'm not sure that Elon is still driving his though. I had heard it is now on display, rather than on the road. I could be wrong here.

I'm not sure what components JB's car has inside. His is a very early prototype that has been modified many times over the years. If I had to guess, I would say that his has been upgrade to at least 2.0 spec.

I remember that blog entry but forgot about the specific picture. Pity Tesla's web people couldn't be bothered to transfer the high res images when they redid the site a few years back. Many important images (such as the useful Roadster range and speed blog) were lost during that transition.

1.5 Owners who would put down a deposit on a battery upgrade
------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, now that Tesla has made the 3.0 battery upgrade available for 1.5 cars we'll find out how many of the 1.5 owners really meant it! :cool:

I put down my deposit today. I look forward to being able to drive to Santa Barbara without a charging stop.