Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dunno, there might be relatively more, but even there I don’t know who’s driving them or WHAT they’re driving.

VW discontinued the plain Golf here in 2021. You can still buy a GTI or Golf R, but they’re selling in tiny numbers (7,800 nation wide in 2022). This would be the only model I’d seriously consider - unless I’m missing something pretty much every other tiny hatch still available here is a bottom-rung Hyundai/Kia/Nissan shitbox that few would voluntarily drive.

they are just as shitboxy in europe but many ppl dont have a choice as insurance/registration/petrol is too expensive for most people....
Good example is the old vauxhall corsa. Tiny engine with gearing which never made sense and no footrest for the left foot. lol. Like noone actually WANTS to drive that. As opposed to lets say a mazda 3 hatchback which actually drives reasonably well.

However, I have noted that SUVs and automatic transmissions are becoming much more popular. I think its not so much that SUVs/bigger cars have become cheaper its just that people seem to be keener to accumulate more debt to finance that lifestyle above their means.
Probably the same in the USA though - when I see some of the carpayments in the usa im like "wtf".

Reactions: ucmndd
Don’t get me wrong, I love a good wagon. Had a WRX wagon, A4 Avant, and still drool over an RS6 Avant any time I see one.

But you and me are a rare breed here in ‘Murica.

But you could make it a stationwagon. *Gasp*

Granted, it would still not sell all that well in the U.S., where that vehicle format has become - for reasons I have never fathomed - pretty much a non-starter. But it would sell great everywhere else. And maybe people Stateside would eventually comer around to buy it, if you market it as a 'sportwagon' or come up with some other marketing ploy. Maybe Tesla could get away with it, even if other domestic manufacturers can't.

I have always liked the wagon format myself. They tend to be lower, lighter and sleeker than SUVs, while still having much of the utility. I have never understood the attraction of the high, boxy SUV style and have stood dumbfounded as it as utterly taken over in the past 25 years. I realize that I am very much in the minority on these points.

I wish we got this here:

1ET5Touring.jpg

2ET5Touring.jpg

4ET5Touring.jpg

7ET5Touring.jpg

I would drop my Model 3 in a heartbeat for that

Quite nice actually, in my view. Better styling than most vehicles on North American roads. I suspect that it might drive better too - certainly a lower centre of gravity would help.
Exactly. It’s very understated. The rear 3/4 view mimics Jaguar Estates. About the only thing I can see that would be controversial would be the front lights, but it’s not like the Model 3 is a supermodel with its duck face 😄

I doubt there’s any appreciable market in the US for a smaller than Model 3 EV. It might sell great in the rest of the world, but doubt it will be a profitable sell here. I’d be surprised if they even bother importing it and they certainly won’t build it here (presuming it does exist at some point).
There does not seem to be that much of a market in the US these days for any cars smaller than the Model 3, Corolla, Civic, Elantra, etc.. other than specialty cars (e.g. MX-5).

Yes, the (soon to be discontinued) smaller Bolt is selling well this year due to low price, but still less than half of the volume of the Model 3.

Reactions: ucmndd
I have never understood the attraction of the high, boxy SUV style
It's not about styling. It's about seating height (for visibility and ease of entry) and the storage space/flexibility with the hatch. Very much function over form.

Wife and I both used to drive little hatchbacks (Focus and Matrix) but eventually wound up in larger vehicles (crossover, van, truck, etc) for various reasons. I went back to driving a small commuter car for a bit (sister's old Focus sedan); it was a PITA to get larger things in and out of the trunk and hauling myself up and out was no fun, especially with sore muscles and/or injured joints. And the seating position was far less comfortable for anything over 45 minutes or so.

There are also a lot of advantages to not being hunched over and leaning in as much when securing small children in car seats.

Honestly I think I'd rather pay a bit more for additional battery and take a drag hit for a more boxed-out rear end on the MY so that my cargo space wasn't height-limited.

If you need room get the Y. I've owned both. 3 a bit cheaper better performance. Y is a tad larger and much more practical if you don't have a second or larger vehicle.

Y isn't a true SUV, it's a model 3 they made a tad taller and added a hatch on the back. Still a fast nimble vehicle compared to most options on the road.

Reactions: gtae07
Maybe 4 Leap years... but Toyota is claiming they'll have first-gen solid state in cars by 2027 w/ a 745 mile range, second gen solid state to have 932 mile range. Nio's ES6 already has solid state batts w/ ~570 mile range.
Prototypes are easy, talk is cheap, and Toyota has been promising this pie in the sky solid state battery for 10 years now. So now they're saying 2027. Add 3 years to that estimate in view of their history of grandiose promises. At that point, by 2030, it may be a moot point because other chemistries will have gotten to the targets of faster charging, higher cycle count, higher energy density, and resistance to fires.

Reactions: MacO512
There is a naive assumption here that I want to point out. You’re assuming they make packs with the same number of cells.

Greater energy density is a good thing - it enables lighter weight and the same range with fewer cells. Fewer cells = fewer dollars. A major objective of the Highland appears to be reducing cost, not necessarily increasing range (and I 100% agree with the prior comments that they will artificially maintain significant differentiation in range between trims and more importantly models like the S/X). I think it’s equally if not more likely they make a cost saving move, reduce cell count, and maintain roughly the same pack capacity and range.

Downhill with a tail wind, no HVAC, at 40mph? ;)

No - Panasonic currently makes NCA cells - Nickel Cobalt Aluminum.

LG Chem is making NCM (Nickel Cobalt Manganese) cells in China - similar characteristics to NCA but slightly less energy dense. You can find them in the 3LR.
Correct unless you bought a Long Range model 3 early this year at which point you got the NCA chemistry and the 358 MI range.