Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would someone be willing to go weigh their cord? I want to install the tool balancer this week (car hopefully coming by this weekend), but I don't know how much it weighs so I'm not sure which tool balancer to get.

I can do it tomorrow. How do you want me to weight it? The entire cable and plugs?
I'm sorry, I should have posted that a fellow TMCer PM'd me the answer. It's about 7 pounds, which was as ballpark as I needed to buy the right tool balancer.

FWIW, I couldn't find one locally (looked at Lowe's and Home Depot), so I ended up ordering online.

I'm sorry, I should have posted that a fellow TMCer PM'd me the answer. It's about 7 pounds, which was as ballpark as I needed to buy the right tool balancer.

FWIW, I couldn't find one locally (looked at Lowe's and Home Depot), so I ended up ordering online.

THANK YOU!! I have been looking for a while for a pull-down locking spring system, but didn't know what it was called! YESSS
I am looking to do the same thing - hang the cord from the ceiling and pull it down when needed...

No problem, do you mind sharing what you ordered? Also, please share photos after installation since I want to do the same.

Here's that thread (forgot I had posted).

I used this reel:

IMG_4798.JPG

but it turned out not to have ample weight utility and the hose - er, cord - simply drifted to the floor. So I will be interested to see what others have accomplished.

I am simply using a hood and draping the cord for now.

Here's what I ended up doing. The plug is in the ceiling, the tool balancer is near the charge port, and a simple hook is between them to keep the cord from dangling too far as it spans from the plug to the tool balancer. The tool balancer then retracts after I unplug it and mostly keeps it out of the way, but it still hangs down to about the 5' mark simply because the ceiling is only 7.5 or 8 feet high.
P1110091.JPG

Last edited:
Here's what I ended up doing. The plug is in the ceiling, the tool balancer is near the charge port, and a simple hook is between them to keep the cord from dangling too far as it spans from the plug to the tool balancer. The tool balancer then retracts after I unplug it and mostly keeps it out of the way, but it still hangs down to about the 5' mark simply because the ceiling is only 7.5 or 8 feet high.
View attachment 13687

Well done! :)