Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reflects that members have different views (sometimes held strongly) and that we need to be tolerant even when disagreeing.

+1. There's positive reputation to be had for being factual and fair. We do have some forum members who use the negative feedback to ding those that disagree with them. I've received two negative feedback for that. But most forum members recognize that people have differing opinions and seem to save the negative for those that continually go negative or overreact over tings. The plenty of people give positive reputation for helpful posts or when they see you're trying to keep the forum on an even keel (mod or not). As your reputation builds, you receive more boxes. (Kind of like the gold stars your teacher used to give you!).

NigelM, vfx, and I have seemed to accrued enough to get TWO green boxes (whee!), but so far, no badge/no catalog/no chance to redeem points.

Don't get too attached to those reputation points. So far it's just been an experiment and one thing that's clear is we have to nix the anonymity. I think it's better if people know who's leaving reputation points, but we'll have to clear existing comments first.

Don't get too attached to those reputation points. So far it's just been an experiment and one thing that's clear is we have to nix the anonymity. I think it's better if people know who's leaving reputation points, but we'll have to clear existing comments first.
If you're evaluating improvements, an opportunity to resolve the concern (and clear negative reputation accordingly) would be helpful.

Would this be similar to getting points removed from your driver's license? Attend a day of Internet Forum Behavioral Improvement School and get 3 points of negative reputation removed. ;)

Like.

But in FL all those improvement courses are online, so mandating online time to improve online behavior might be analogous to putting someone in a Model S to teach them not to speed.

Another one of my forums has these reputation points, I like them. If you make a particularly insightful, funny or useful post, you will see your rep points in your profile. Over there, the system shows who's leaving them, which I think is a must in order for the system to be equitable. The comments others leave are nice too.

There's no reward for receiving or giving them, other than personal satisfaction. The only practical use they have is that if you can see that someone has a lot of them (a lot of green bars), then you know that they are generally a good member and a credit to the forum. But if someone has a bunch of red ones, you can surmise that they have a habit of being a tool. Generally speaking of course.

If you get enough green bars (over there they are blue), eventually you will accrue silver, and then gold bars (like differing value poker chips). I don't know how many points it takes for one bar, but over there I have 6717 points and seven bars. Not sure how it works here, but over there when you give enough rep, you will see a second line of "rep given" bars above your existing rep received bars. As I understand it, the more rep you have, the more "power" the rep you give will have. In other words, if I have 7000 rep points, when I leave rep for someone's post, let's say it leaves 200 points. But a newbie, with no rep, would only give like 50 points for favorable rep. So it pays to be on the good side of people, especially those that have been around for a long time.

The system has some flaws, especially when there have been occasions of shameless "rep building" threads. But I think it's useful to see who's the most valued contributors, as decided by the members.

Last edited:
I had liked the system in theory, but you can't express even a hint of a subjective concern about Tesla or the Model S without negative rep and/or PM's from mods. But you can post all the subjectively positives you want without issue. Whether intended or not, the site fairly effectively promotes a particular slant on content.

I had liked the system in theory, but you can't express even a hint of a subjective concern about Tesla or the Model S without negative rep and/or PM's from mods. But you can post all the subjectively positives you want without issue. Whether intended or not, the site fairly effectively promotes a particular slant on content.

As evidenced by a recent exchange, this simply is not true. I left a positive reputation comment for a poster who was detailing the fairly serious issues he was having charging his Model S. Two posters were taking the thread off track talking about what was going to happen if the media picked it up Another forum member (not a mod) asked that the posts stay on the charging issue. And you promptly said that negative content was being shut down (paraphrased).

Totally not true. If mods were trying to shut down negative discussion, we wouldn't be leaving positive reputation for that. To be clear, I left positive reputation because the poster was being very factual and it was helpful info.

I'm not sure how you would know that a mod had left you negative feedback, since it's anonymous. I prefer pm's, since (in theory) a discussion can be had, rather than checking a box.

I'm not sure how you would know that a mod had left you negative feedback, since it's anonymous.
Was intended to read "negative reps" and/or "PMs from mods".

I stated a concern about impacts of a bug in charging in a thread about a that charging bug. If I had posted about how awesome the charging software was and how well it reflected on Tesla, would I have been chided to stick to the facts?

You're also stating my view is "simply not true" based on only your personal approach to rep, which is undoubtedly admirable, but is not something that is necessarily true beyond your personal approach.

Last edited:

Dude, I suggest to chill for once. People disagreeing with you is not persecution. If/when you receive negative rep stop and think for a second why that might be.....perhaps the other person is being a jerk or perhaps they genuinely didn't like the way you expressed yourself. Sometimes life is unfair and sometimes it's not and we need to take notice. Like some other people I recently started signing the reputation I give, so you'd know if you got one from me. Perhaps would be helpful if we all did that?

Tesla went through some tough times with the S launch and ramp up (arguably they're not completely out of the woods yet); mods suffered through that with the everyone else and I don't think anyone held back in their criticism. None of the mods are being paid and if you read the delivery stories you'll also know that we don't get preferential treatment so quite frankly suggesting that we're all fanboys and girls kinda also suggests we're idiots which is more than a little insulting.

By the way, "PM" stands for Private Message which makes it a pretty good tool for allowing mods to encourage the right tone and cool arguments that pop-up from time to time, all without resorting to public rebukes or anything that might be seen as such. I'd have preferred to write the above sentences to you in a PM but I don't want to be accused of suppressing your opinion.

I tried to add positive reputation to a post, and got a message that said something like: "you need to spread reputation around before adding more to Xxxxx, try adding reputation to other members first."

This should not be necessary. If a post deserves a thumbs up, we should be able to do so. Regardless, I have added positive reputation to other members before and after the one other post from this individual.

GSP