Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Reputation points?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We now have 20 people with eleven bars. The exclusivity is starting to fade... Those of us with 1900 points or moew (completely random threshold) should get a twelfth bar, just to distinguish ourselves from the riff-raff...

Well sure as weasels have teeth I would never want to be associated with any group that included me as a member.

Well sure as weasels have teeth I would never want to be associated with any group that included me as a member.
You and me both...

(and I'll generously leave it open to interpretation if I wouldn't want to be associated with a group that includes me, or that includes you... :) )

- - - Updated - - -

But Dirk...These go to 11!
Point taken.

maybe this should go in "new design" thread... I think I'm glad for the green earmark... says something but most people will not know what! Problem with abandoning rep is that the ONLY remaining index out there is number of posts, and I think that is a terrible proxy for quality. Yes, we have some very prolific members who are also remarkably able to add value with most posts, but also some very prolific posters who add little value. I always thought the best index was rep/posts.

PS are we going to turn on "likes" for posts? Or am I missing some button that is already there?
PPS will anyone see this given the new approach to subscriptions?

Each post in each thread gets a "like". But is there a roll-up of "likes" or "points" for a particular person?

I've said it before and at the risk of being a broken record, the green bars gave you a subconscious cue as to whether the poster had been a regular positive contributor. In my electricians' forums, a "thanks" on a post will give reputation points which gets reflected as a number below their avatar.

Do I miss the rep system? Yes. Nor do I think it should have been a clean sweep. But it appears it was. And as I said to one of you in the last day, talking about how much rep I could give out was not at the top of my list at parties. My friends would look at me like I lost my mind. :)

Yes, I think we're losing some data and that data should have been just as protected as posts and links. It should have been given the same care in the platform transfer as any other data. It was a reward system for members who have added value to this forum. But in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter.

It doesn't matter because I don't believe I've written a post thinking, 'This will get me rep!'. I've written my opinion. Getting points from my fellow forum members has been a welcome bonus in the past.

Guys, we already have this planned out. It's just not completely implemented yet. So give it a few days, will ya?
And I'll just disagree about maintaining the existing rep because it was easily saturated and people tended to reward drama nearly as much as quality. My call. So no one else to blame about that but me. However, I did regularly warn (for years now, since this move took that long) that it was going away.

The goal with the system we're putting in place is to have a bit more differentiation that simple likes. You can look at someone's profile page to see a total of what they give out and what they receive. There will also be something to see in the postbit, but that's not done yet.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Guys, we already have this planned out. It's just not completely implemented yet. So give it a few days, will ya?
And I'll just disagree about maintaining the existing rep because it was easily saturated and people tended to reward drama nearly as much as quality. My call. So no one else to blame about that but me. However, I did regularly warn (for years now, since this move took that long) that it was going away.

The goal with the system we're putting in place is to have a bit more differentiation that simple likes. You can look at someone's profile page to see a total of what they give out and what they receive. There will also be something to see in the postbit, but that's not done yet.

Cheers!

Doug, I'm with you on this - and thanks for letting us know that it's in the works. I didn't care so much about receiving the rep as I cared about the ability to see - at a glance - that a particular poster was considered reputable vs. a fly-by-night poster who just took a dump on the issues and moved on.

See, as a former eleven green bar poster I think the new design solves my biggest problem with TMC. I was spending way too much time here.

But thankfully the forum has now become as usable for me as the TelsaMotors forum. Which means I will simply stop wasting time here. I will continue to post in the Firmware thread (assuming I can find the thread) and will otherwise enjoy all the time saved.

Thank you Doug, I'm really glad you did this.

It doesn't matter because I don't believe I've written a post thinking, 'This will get me rep!'. I've written my opinion. Getting points from my fellow forum members has been a welcome bonus in the past.

And I'll just disagree about maintaining the existing rep because it was easily saturated and people tended to reward drama nearly as much as quality.

There were times I'd spent a lot of thought and time putting together a post that garnered zero rep, and times that I made an off-the-cuff three word joke that got lots of rep. So yeah, it did have a weird dynamic at times. I applaud the efforts to make it transparent, as I think additional accountability will reign in some of the "drama" stuff.

One thing I'll miss is the ability to send (or receive) a short rep note to let the contributor know why you were moved by the post. At times it was unnecessary, but I got some good background insight into some members through those snippets. There's always "conversations," I suppose.

One thing I'll miss is the ability to send (or receive) a short rep note to let the contributor know why you were moved by the post.

Ah yes, I will miss that as well. I liked being able to give a quick anonymous (or not) message of support without having to make a new post to the thread. It seems way too many people add +1 threads which don't add much to the discussion. Then again, maybe the new options will take the place of those +1 threads

Reactions: GLDYLX and AnalysiZ