Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reputation points?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More then 3000 posts, and only 87 reputation points. Might be a record....
Does that mean my posts are not appreciated? I don't think so. In the Europe section of the forum, giving reputation points is not yet common business. Some members have started the discussion about this. Let's see if that works...

Let's say tomorrow magically you have 500 reputation points. What next?

In what sense does it matter?
It doesn't. I don't really understand why the functionality for reputation points exists. I can understand 'liking' a post so that it can appear to visitors as an interesting post. But i don't think reputation points are used like that (by the forum software).

It doesn't. I don't really understand why the functionality for reputation points exists. I can understand 'liking' a post so that it can appear to visitors as an interesting post. But i don't think reputation points are used like that (by the forum software).

Doug has said many times that people shouldn't be so concerned with the reputation system, because at some point it will be reset and/or go away. He has since revealed that there is work underway to move TMC to a different platform altogether. So, it's not that big of a deal.

As for why the functionality exists, it helps at-a-glance to see where the more helpful and/or reliable replies may be within a thread. If someone posts a question and there are two conflicting responses to it, one from a member with only one bar and one from a member with 5+, the OP is likely to pay more attention to the one who has garnered more reputation. This can even be an unconscious consideration.

More then 3000 posts, and only 87 reputation points. Might be a record....
Does that mean my posts are not appreciated? I don't think so. In the Europe section of the forum, giving reputation points is not yet common business. Some members have started the discussion about this. Let's see if that works...

Some reasons for having low reputation points and high post count:

- posting in 'marginal' forum sections where other posters have low rep points - that would be most non US forum sections
- posting in forum sections with a low view count
- forum members with early join date who do not post that often any more

Most posters in 'marginal' forum sections all have low rep giving power, hence it is quite difficult to accumulate points. It may take up to hundred posters to give a point each to accumulate 100 points.

In some forum sections, many posters have a rep giving power of multiple tens of rep points. It takes just few rep 'heavy hitters' to give their rep points to accumulate hundred rep points. Not a level playing field.

Similar 'uneven level playing field' is present in a time dimension. As time goes by, the pool of rep giving power grows fast and newer contributors accumulate rep points much easier than earlier forum contributors.

If giving rep points is not a common business in your forum section, it might be an idea to start giving them. It is easy to do and might be fun.

Most people enjoy giving and receiving rep points. That might be the main rep system utility imho.

Last edited:
Some reasons for having low reputation points and high post count:

- posting in 'marginal' forum sections where other posters have low rep points - that would be most non US forum sections
- posting in forum sections with a low view count
- forum members with early join date who do not post that often any more

I can speak to this since I have low reputation points for 605 posts

I kind of disagree with your 2nd point...When I see a post with low number of count and those are new members who are posting questions ...I try to answer as much as I can ...those new members have no clue of reputation points.

This is not their fault...I was the same when I first joined the forum.

But despite posting some useful tips...I am still at one bar:confused:

Not that it matters but getting more bars seems cool...:cool:

Some reasons for having low reputation points and high post count...

I think a big part is post quality. I think people give out positive rep for two main reasons:
#1: It was informative and showed them something useful they didn't already know.
and/or
#2: It was funny and made people laugh.

If you have good "signal to noise ratio" you get more positive rep.
If you just chime in and chat without great substance, don't expect the rep to accumulate.

Posters like Bonnie and Nigel are both quick witted and good at helping others find their way.

They are also good at shutting down negativity.

I think a big part is post quality. I think people give out positive rep for two main reasons:
#1: It was informative and showed them something useful they didn't already know.
and/or

I think this hits the nail on the head.

I know that my posts that have fallen into the categories above are the ones that have generated most of my rep points.

and/or

If you just chime in and chat without great substance, don't expect the rep to accumulate.

Posters like Bonnie and Nigel are both quick witted and good at helping others find their way.

Most of my rep comes from making others laugh.

BTW You need to add another green bar to your avatar.:wink:

and/or

I agree with your post, but we are arguing the opposing thesis. You listed some of the contributing factors why people accumulate rep points.

My post was listing some contributing factors to why people might have difficulties in accumulating rep points, in response to gelden's post.

The low post quality could be a contributing factor, but more likely the reasons I listed are prevailing in his case.

There could be other contributing factors, I listed just a few. English as a second language plays a significant role as it is much harder to make coherent convincing arguments when using non-native language, and attempts at being witty in a non-native language can easily turn into something incomprehensible or even offensive. A time difference may also play a role as it can interfere with a meaningful debate.

I agree with your post, but we are arguing the opposing thesis. You listed some of the contributing factors why people accumulate rep points.

My post was listing some contributing factors to why people might have difficulties in accumulating rep points, in response to gelden's post.

The low post quality could be a contributing factor, but more likely the reasons I listed are prevailing in his case.

There could be other contributing factors, I listed just a few. English as a second language plays a significant role as it is much harder to make coherent convincing arguments when using non-native language, and attempts at being witty in a non-native language can easily turn into something incomprehensible or even offensive. A time difference may also play a role as it can interfere with a meaningful debate.

Really? We're arguing a thesis here?

I can speak to this since I have low reputation points for 605 posts

I kind of disagree with your 2nd point...When I see a post with low number of count and those are new members who are posting questions ...I try to answer as much as I can ...those new members have no clue of reputation points.

This is not their fault...I was the same when I first joined the forum.

But despite posting some useful tips...I am still at one bar:confused:

Not that it matters but getting more bars seems cool...:cool:

My second point refers to posting in forum sections or threads with low view count or low site traffic. It does not refer to contributor's post count.

If a contributor makes very informative coherent clear post in a thread that is seen by say 15 people then such post is not likely to get awarded as many rep points as the same post posted in a thread that is viewed by thousands of people.

The heaviest site traffic seem to be in the Model S forum sections. Numerous contributors in that section have quite high rep giving power. Therefore, posting in that section is likely to yield faster points accumulation.

- - - Updated - - -

Really? We're arguing a thesis here?

I think you just proved one of my points, being clear (choosing correct words) in non-native language is always a challenge, at least for me

Last edited:
Another factor is the tradition of Rep points.... We only discovered those in the last few weeks in our folder "Belgium & the Netherlands". Even Gelden with 3000+ posts just got his first 100 points last week.... Now we are working hard to catch up! :wink:

Auzie, thank you! If you ever want to participate in a European Road-Trip, just let me know :biggrin:

Last edited:
It's PONY TIME!

PonyTime.PNG

Another factor is the tradition of Rep points.... We only discovered those in the last few weeks in our folder "Belgium & the Netherlands". Even Gelden with 3000+ posts just got his first 100 points last week.... Now we are working hard to catch up! :wink:

Auzie, thank you! If you ever want to participate in a European Road-Trip, just let me know :biggrin:

Thank you for your kind invitation AnalysiZ. Road tripping is not in my plans, Europe or anywhere, however if plans change, we'll talk:biggrin:.

This thread made me laugh. Hilarious.

Wij willen meer reputatiepunten zoals de Amerikanen!

No need to understand the language, green bars tell the story.

Here is google translate of the title:

RepPoints.JPG

This thread the sweetest testament to the utility of reputation points. It would be an act of cruelty to take that away from people.

Reputation points are from the people, by the people, for the people!

Thank you for your support, Auzie.
We're having a blast, you correctly picked up on that.

All in all it's a text book example of inflation. In a couple of weeks the amount of rep points flying around grew from 'hardly any' to 'hundreds' per day.

Thank you for your support, Auzie.
We're having a blast, you correctly picked up on that.

All in all it's a text book example of inflation. In a couple of weeks the amount of rep points flying around grew from 'hardly any' to 'hundreds' per day.

Having a blast is priceless

Are you saying that you feel inflation effects already?

Two months ago I was the only member with 3 bars (gathered in the US subforums), nobody with more that one, here in our neck of the woods.
Now we have 6 members in the world wide top-50., the highest ranking one is at #26 (jpet).

Eat your heart out, Venezuela!

Last edited: