Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Renault Zoe ZE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have seen a glass roof on a Scion (Toyota Yaris) last month. Why would that be difficult? Secondly, the retracting door handles have always been a "Wow" point, and seem to be quite in demand for the Model S. I also see some skepticism for 19" rims, when it seems to be a factory option for many upper end cars. Why would Tesla, considered to be competition, not have a glass roof, or retracting handles, or a 19" option? I think you folk are wrong.

It's not so much that a glass roof is difficult, just expensive. Same with the door handles. Renault may prefer to go with a design that is tried, tested and less expensive rather than to spend extra time and expensive on a handle that may increase risk of defect.

Ford Fiesta:
2010%20Ford%20Fiesta%20front%20view_thumb.jpg

Scion:
fig_03.jpg

Porsche Targa:
p06_1000.jpg

It's not so much that a glass roof is difficult, just expensive. Same with the door handles. Renault may prefer to go with a design that is tried, tested and less expensive rather than to spend extra time and expensive on a handle that may increase risk of defect.

Expensive, as in Toyota Yaris??? Expensive, as in All Aluminum Body??? Expensive, as in "25% profit per car"? Expensive, as in Largest Capacity Battery Pack? MORE Expensive, as in Signature Series? Don't want to pollute any of that with glass roof, large wheels, or Wow door handles.

By the way, the journos are falling head over heels for it and the argument that has broken out on the discussion board is nothing to do with the drive train (is that some sort of turning point?) I really think Renault have got a massive hit on their hands here. It can't come soon enough.

Which discussion board?

I know it's still only a concept but the following Auto Express article states that the "batteries are hidden inside the chassis" and the supplied picture of the boot also shows no obvious loss of space to the battery packs. Could this mean that the Zoe is not an adaption of a future petrol/diesel Clio (like the Fluence ZE which loses boot space)? Maybe it does have a lot in common with the future Clio replacement but has been adapted in the right way???

Anyway, I agree - this could be a very popular model and I'm eager for more information!

I'm in ... tryed to reserve one, but it's not possible yet ........ :confused:

The ZOE is the perfect substitute for my Audi A3 , I may drop the plans for "Sport Edition" and the "PanoRoof" on my Model S and
spend the "saved" money to the Renault ZOE.

Regulations...

Charging with no communications is mode 1. It allows single phase at 16A. Having a portable EVSE / PWM signal generator on the wire is mode 2.

You could make a mode 2 three phase charger, but I don't think the IEC specs allow it so there probably won't be an official Renault one. I'm sure it won't stop the electronics whizzes on this forum from creating one.

In the Autoexpress article referenced above, there are some surprisingly specific numbers:

"a higher-voltage fast-charge can give you an additional 37 miles in only 10 minutes, or an 80 per cent capacity in 30 minutes."

Following the logic (if fast charging is linear) 80% range would be 3x37 miles = 111 miles to gives a full 100% range of 139 miles (222 km).

In the Autoexpress article referenced above, there are some surprisingly specific numbers:

"a higher-voltage fast-charge can give you an additional 37 miles in only 10 minutes, or an 80 per cent capacity in 30 minutes."

Following the logic (if fast charging is linear) 80% range would be 3x37 miles = 111 miles to gives a full 100% range of 139 miles (222 km).
Charging isn't linear, however. It goes faster when the battery is empty, and slows down markedly as you top it up.