Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Renault Twizy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pardon if this has been asked and answered, but how is the safety in the Twizy?
"The vehicles frame and body offer occupants extra protection with its deformable structure, while the outboard position of the four wheels and the lateral beams located either side of the chassis provide protection in case of a side-on impact. The safety retention systems include a driver's airbag, a four-point safety belt at the front and a three-point one at the rear."

Renault Twizy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well, it was great! Much more fun, then I thought.

It is tiny, but in a good sense. Has excellent roadholding and is a real car! Enough power and enough range!
My girls loved it and even my wife! Driving a Twizy everybody smiles at you and cheers! Thumbs up everywhere.
The only negativ thing is that the car seems not to have a park position and that the handbrake is awkward to use.

It is the ideal city car!

The Renault dealer, is a small dealer and he allready has sold three. He also has reserved a Zoe for himself. So the future is bright, the future is electric!

Thanks for reporting back !
I have my test drive planned in a bit more than a week, and shall report my impressions here.

EC8FD921-14C8-4B86-BCB8-44CF8AAB6212-3606-000005BA52ADFE00.jpg

27873115-ABA6-49A7-A2F5-E4F81DE7DE06-3606-000005BA49F2CB32.jpg

I had my test drive this morning.

I follow Mitrovic opinion, it is the perfect city car, and we were on the edge of putting an order (that would be a replacement for a Fiat 500).
It is a fun quadricycle, a bit noisy (then again it is all opened, so that's expected). I tried it as both passenger and driver.

I'm 1m87, and the driving position is actually quite comfortable for me (was afraid it would be too small). For my wife who's 1m60 it was not so comfortable, the seat height is to low and you can't adjust it. She would have also liked to be able to adjust the back of the seat as well, and that is also not possible.
You don't feel the wind much when you're in the driver position, much more when in the back seat. As a side note for the people in the Netherlands, a 3rd party will provide some window for the Twizy (according the sale rep of Renault Nieuwendijk-Aaslmeer). I will get photos of it from the dealer in a few weeks, as the solution gets ready. Knowing how rainy the weather is here that could be a good plus.

The problem for us is that the space for the back seat is a bit too small to put a child seat (it is really missing a few centimeters when the front seat is pulled all the way back), which is too bad, because I would need to drop my son at day care in the morning before going to work. That might become a silly deal breaker.

We need to think about it, and we also want to try the Zoe before taking a final decision.

As a side note for the people in the Netherlands, a 3rd party will provide some window for the Twizy (according the sale rep of Renault Nieuwendijk-Aaslmeer). I will get photos of it from the dealer in a few weeks, as the solution gets ready. Knowing how rainy the weather is here that could be a good plus.
Found this online: Onvermijdelijk: Ramen voor de Renault Twizy - Groen7

I just spotted another Twizy here in Middelburg, it's the 3rd I saw in just one week (all different ones!)

It is that I already have an electric scooter which I use in the city, but it's indeed a funny thing!

> You can always import one?
> Buy one in the Netherlands (for example), don't register it here and ship it. [widohd]

Illegal in all 50 States, Canada and probably Mexico. If Renault were to modify with a single rear wheel, it could likely be tested & approved by NHSTA. But as a 4 wheeled vehicle Renault would have a difficult time having it 'removed' from its natural category of Motorcycle. And 4 wheeled motorcycles have always been verboten in North America.

Bottom Line: If you suceed in shipping (or airdropping) a Twizy into North America, you could not title it. If Customs found out about it YOU would have to pay for returning it, plus fines. The Twizy that visited New York City recently came here on a visitor's permit for 30 days.

Twizy with single rear wheel would IMO handle pretty much the same and be just as good. Now if Bombadier could come up with an electric version of their Can Am 3 wheeler motorcycle . . .
--

I was just in Rome and saw this guy buzzing around the area surrounding my hotel. I also saw a half dozen Citroen EV's used as police cars. They are just re-badged Mitsubishi i's.
Very cool!
It's actually the other way around, PSA (Peugeot Citröen group) buy its EVs from Mitsubishi and then re-badge them. So what you see are original Mitsubishi i's.
I believe that's what Tom meant. Mooie avond...
1.gif

This isn't good. Glad no one hurt.

N. Gordon-Bloomfield ‏@aminorjourney
Not 100% sure, but the Twizy is probably written off.

6 Nov Kate Walton-Elliott ‏@pyoor
@aminorjourney Urk. That's ungood. How come? (and do the insurers offer a buy-back)

6 Nov N. Gordon-Bloomfield ‏@aminorjourney
@pyoor the chassis apparently can't withstand a 5mph impact without twisting. :(

Nissan Looks To Brings Europe’s Best Selling EV To Japan. US Next?

Do you know what the best selling electric car is in Europe? Its not the Opel Ampera, Chevrolet Volt, or Nissan LEAF. It is the Renault Twizy, an incredibly small 2 seat fully electric vehicle that, in many places in Europe, you do not even need a license to drive. Last month Renault sold 399 of them, bringing their 2012 Euro-zone total to 8,292. Now the car is being targeted at Japan, as a special trial is underway now in Yokohama.

There is a couple problems however in bringing this EV to Japan (and perhaps the US therafter). For starters, in Japan you can not yet legally drive one. Then you have the fact it is a Renault; and Renault’s marketshare in Japan is .005 of one percent. That is not very big. Renault has sold 2,587 vehicles in total so far in Japan, which is an excellent result compared to the zero sold here in the US. Fortunately, Renault has a two-way alliance with Nissan. So let the re-badging begin!

1.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
That's it, we did it, bought one of this little thing (in replacement of our little Fiat 500). I have a 30km commute, and since yesterday I'm doing it with our brand new Twizy. What a fun vehicle ! I love it !
I'm finding all kind of excuse to go out with it. I suddenly have new interest in going out to do the grocery ;-)

The electrification of my garage has started. Now my Twizy is waiting for its big brother, the Model S !

That's it, we did it, bought one of this little thing (in replacement of our little Fiat 500). I have a 30km commute, and since yesterday I'm doing it with our brand new Twizy. What a fun vehicle ! I love it !
I'm finding all kind of excuse to go out with it. I suddenly have new interest in going out to do the grocery ;-)

The electrification of my garage has started. Now my Twizy is waiting for its big brother, the Model S !

this will interest you then Open Vehicle Monitoring System - Page 56