Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote S: Tesla app for Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Version 3.3.3 is out now, and that should be the last bug fix/minor update in the 3.3.x release. One thing I haven't mentioned in my release notes is that there is a complication for Remote S, but it is simply a shortcut to the app right now. There's no icon, stats, or graphic associated with the complication at the moment. Just tapping on the blank area where you placed the complication will bring you straight to the Remote S app.

The reason why I haven't mentioned it is because I plan on adding information to the complication in the next major release version 3.4.x. It's going to be a while before the next update while I work on it and other features. So if there's any other feature you want me to add or any other bugs you find, let me know. I'll add it to my list of things to do for the next major release.

Also, since my app's ratings/reviews get wiped out after every update, I appreciate those who leave a rating or review. It helps a lot with sales when people see that the app is used by many.

Yup. It is working now. Seems to have issue if there slow or connectivity issue to the tesla..it exit I think
Glad you got it work again.

Version 3.3.3 is out now, and that should be the last bug fix/minor update in the 3.3.x release. One thing I haven't mentioned in my release notes is that there is a complication for Remote S, but it is simply a shortcut to the app right now. There's no icon, stats, or graphic associated with the complication at the moment. Just tapping on the blank area where you placed the complication will bring you straight to the Remote S app.

The reason why I haven't mentioned it is because I plan on adding information to the complication in the next major release version 3.4.x. It's going to be a while before the next update while I work on it and other features. So if there's any other feature you want me to add or any other bugs you find, let me know. I'll add it to my list of things to do for the next major release.

Also, since my app's ratings/reviews get wiped out after every update, I appreciate those who leave a rating or review. It helps a lot with sales when people see that the app is used by many.

Glad you got it work again.
You got it. I'll give it the highest rating.

It would really be nice to be able to switch to multiple vehicles using the Apple Watch. It's really inconvenient to have to go to the iPhone app to switch vehicles. This would make Apple Watch disconnected mode more useful too. There are a lot of cases where my iPhone is not in easy reach, but I have my Apple Watch on.

Love the app and will leave another high rating.

Please do consider a "last update" timestamp even if future versions update more quickly -- it's just a nice feature, especially when we're talking about lock status or sunroof open or not. I know (and understand) you've said space is a premium, but if the car name and last update time could cycle, that could preserve the current, very nice looking, layout.

A persistent "stop" button on the screen when summon is activated (phone and watch if possible) would enhance safety.

One thing I haven't mentioned in my release notes is that there is a complication for Remote S, but it is simply a shortcut to the app right now. There's no icon, stats, or graphic associated with the complication at the moment. Just tapping on the blank area where you placed the complication will bring you straight to the Remote S app.

Ah, thanks for noting that--I was wondering what I was doing wrong. :) I'll go back and update my ratings. BTW, I agree with @araxara that being able to switch vehicles for the watch would be cool, but I also realize that must-Telsa households are a minority so this may end up a low priority.

IMG_1708.jpg

Can somebody explain the difference between the two numbers indicating current power and the charge rate in MPH? I'm assuming one of them is average and the other is instantaneous?

View attachment 198230

Can somebody explain the difference between the two numbers indicating current power and the charge rate in MPH? I'm assuming one of them is average and the other is instantaneous?
Ah, it's because you have "More Precise Stats" turned on, so you never got a chance to see the full labels for each stat. But the rate on the very top is for instantaneous readings. 15.62 mph is how fast your battery is gaining miles at that moment. The top left number is how much power your battery is gaining. The ones on the bottom are your charger's stats. They're the same stats you see on your dashboard or official Tesla app when charging. The 18.70 is the average rate (in mph in your case) of charge. The one above is the power your charger is giving out. You'll notice that the numbers don't match the instantaneous battery stats. This is probably because you have your HVAC on, and HVAC usually drains about 3 mph or 1 kW - but it really depends on how much your HVAC has to work.

You really begin to notice the difference when you're supercharging. This is when sometimes the average towards the end would say something like 60 mph. But in reality, it's only charging 3 mph at that moment. This might give you better information to decide whether you really want to wait that extra 20 minutes to gain that extra mile range when you're at 99% already.

Ah, it's because you have "More Precise Stats" turned on, so you never got a chance to see the full labels for each stat. But the rate on the very top is for instantaneous readings. 15.62 mph is how fast your battery is gaining miles at that moment. The top left number is how much power your battery is gaining. The ones on the bottom are your charger's stats. They're the same stats you see on your dashboard or official Tesla app when charging. The 18.70 is the average rate (in mph in your case) of charge. The one above is the power your charger is giving out. You'll notice that the numbers don't match the instantaneous battery stats. This is probably because you have your HVAC on, and HVAC usually drains about 3 mph or 1 kW - but it really depends on how much your HVAC has to work.

You really begin to notice the difference when you're supercharging. This is when sometimes the average towards the end would say something like 60 mph. But in reality, it's only charging 3 mph at that moment. This might give you better information to decide whether you really want to wait that extra 20 minutes to gain that extra mile range when you're at 99% already.
Awesome! Thanks for the explanation. So just to clarify, the bottom numbers always match what's displayed on the dash? Hence they're "average" numbers?

Awesome! Thanks for the explanation. So just to clarify, the bottom numbers always match what's displayed on the dash? Hence they're "average" numbers?
Correct. Well. Not always. The bottom numbers only match the dash when it's charging. Hence the "Charge Info" label on top. When it's not charging, it shows "Battery Info", which is your instantaneous battery info again. When you're charging, that battery info gets shifted to the top bar to make room for the "Charge Info".

@AllenWong Thank you for the update. Question: Should homelink be working? I just updated the app and homelink still doesn't work for me. I don't get a "teslas servers are busy" message anymore, it just doesn't work. The app asks if I'm sure I want to trigger homelink, I hit trigger and it still doesn't work...

@AllenWong Thank you for the update. Question: Should homelink be working? I just updated the app and homelink still doesn't work for me. I don't get a "teslas servers are busy" message anymore, it just doesn't work. The app asks if I'm sure I want to trigger homelink, I hit trigger and it still doesn't work...
Is the car icon to the left of Remote S a solid white or an outline of a car? Solid white = app is actively connected to the Tesla server for summon/homelink. Outline of the car = not connected and therefore no summon/homelink command can be made. But if you make a command while not connected, and it gets connected within 30 seconds, it will trigger. After 30 seconds, your command expires if no connection was made.

Other things to look out for, is the "homelink" icon white or greyed out? Greyed out = homelink is disabled, not nearby and/or not ready. White = homelink is nearby. HomeLink is disabled if you disabled Autopark/Summon (Tesla's requirement).

If it has trouble connecting (i.e. the car icon stays an outline for a long period of time with no sign of connecting to the server), try either tapping on the blue car graphic to force a reconnect, or logging out and back in again.

Is the car icon to the left of Remote S a solid white or an outline of a car? Solid white = app is actively connected to the Tesla server for summon/homelink. Outline of the car = not connected and therefore no summon/homelink command can be made. But if you make a command while not connected, and it gets connected within 30 seconds, it will trigger. After 30 seconds, your command expires if no connection was made.

Other things to look out for, is the "homelink" icon white or greyed out? Greyed out = homelink is disabled, not nearby and/or not ready. White = homelink is nearby. HomeLink is disabled if you disabled Autopark/Summon (Tesla's requirement).

If it has trouble connecting (i.e. the car icon stays an outline for a long period of time with no sign of connecting to the server), try either tapping on the blue car graphic to force a reconnect, or logging out and back in again.

Car icon to the left of remote S has a white outline (not solid white)

Home link icon has a white outline (not solid white and not greyed out since I can actually click on it)

Pressed the blue car graphic to reconnect.

Logged out and back in again.

All of the above had the same result. I am able to click on the homelink icon, asked if I want to trigger homelink, I press trigger, but it still doesn't result in any action.

Energy savings off, always connected ON.

I do have 2 Model S's on my account, not sure if that matters (it seemed to break Tesla Toolbox's app).

I do have 2 Model S's on my account, not sure if that matters (it seemed to break Tesla Toolbox's app).
Ah. This made me look back into my code for the multi-car scenario, and I think I found the bug. I fixed it and sent the updated app to Apple. It will be version 3.3.4. When it becomes available, let me know if it fixed the issue for you, because I don't have multiple Teslas to test with.

Reactions: Model S M.D.
Found a good use for the safari shortcuts.

Using the launcher app I can swipe down from Notification Center and choose my command or 3D Touch the launcher app to add 4 more quick launch commands.
Thanks for the tip. There are quite a few launcher-type apps available. That's why I created these safari shortcuts. Another way of doing it is to put a bookmark icon on your homescreen to a website that redirects to the safari shortcut. This requires that you own a php-enabled webpage.

So you would first have a blank page on a webpage. And then go to that webpage on safari. Then tap the action button on the bottom and then press "Add to Home Screen". Now an icon for your command will be placed on your home screen. If you want, you can even edit the icon that appears in your Home Screen. You just have to upload the icon somewhere first and then put HTML code in that "blank" webpage like this:

Code:
<html><head><link href="http://www.yoursite.com/apple-touch-icon.png" rel="apple-touch-icon" /></head></html>

Just replace http://www.yoursite.com/apple-touch-icon.png with the actual link to your icon. After you do that, whenever you press "Add to Home Screen", it'll use that icon instead of a blank white icon.

Then you can edit that website to redirect to Remote S using a simple redirect code like this:

Code:
<?php header("Location: remotes://unlock");die();?>

So now whenever you tap that icon on your home screen, it will do the command that you want. And you can even close the Remote S app immediately after it launches, and the command should still go through.

You can create as many of these as you want.

Reactions: Wknapp0924
Ah. This made me look back into my code for the multi-car scenario, and I think I found the bug. I fixed it and sent the updated app to Apple. It will be version 3.3.4. When it becomes available, let me know if it fixed the issue for you, because I don't have multiple Teslas to test with.

Awesome, will let you know. And thank you so much for being basically the only developer who still maintains and updates your app. Remote S is still my goto Tesla app , best money I have spent on my car.

I didn't even realize you'd tucked this little indication into the app. Very cool.

Is there something similar in the watch app?

Allen, a non-programming suggestion for once you loose your MS for a while... Howz about your collecting up all the tidbits, hints, tips, and usage info you've provided throughout this thread, and build either a FAQ or simple set of app documentation that could be housed say on your website, with links from the app?

While I did spend the time last year to read all the historical pages here (wow, it's looongggggg), I think having simple documentation would be a boon for new and potential users of Remote S. Much is intuitive once you know more about your MS, but it's harder for newbies, and honestly many of the icons, color-coded hints you've implemented, new 3D Touch, etc. probably get missed by a lot of us. I know documentation isn't as fun as coding, but alas, being a developer, you know how that goes -- espaecially as you get an app like Remote S that has so much functionally squeezed into a compact package.

As always, thx for a GREAT App and always being so responsive to your owners. I can think of a certain mfgr that could take lessons from you improving Customer Service! ;)

Reactions: Model S M.D.
Status
Not open for further replies.