Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote S: Tesla app for Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With all the negativeness (I know - probably not a word) that has invaded this site, this thread always has had a theme of helping and progress. With this thread locked, I guess we all can go back to the threads with folks accusing tesla of fraud, wanting to sue, accusing other posters of being irrational or stupid, etc.

Call me an old fart, but the tone and approach of this site today has seriously declined and gone negative since the early days of excitement about the cars. The locking of this thread is simply another nail in the proverbial coffin.

Looks like I might need to start looking for somewhere else to burn my free time.

I know everyone is sorry to see the thread locked. But I think maybe some are being too harsh in their judgment of the TMC administrators (mods would not have made the decision).

Others selling product on this site are required to become vendors. If Allen were to do that, he could continue an open conversation about desired product features, etc. For whatever reason (no judgment), he has decided not to do that. He's had a pretty long grace period.

I see it as TMC trying to keep a level playing field for those selling their products. If you were a vendor on this site, you might be a bit irritated to see another promoting their product without going through the same hoops.

Always two sides to these things ...

My guess is that the fee is not "small" at all, and Allen probably doesn't see enough revenue from the app to afford the fee.

My take also; I think most vendors are Xpel dealers and the like that get considerable profit from exposure here.

I don't know if there is a sliding scale or not. And def not trying to defend one side or the other - just pointing out that closing the thread (with warning) is not as arbitrary as some have assumed.

In fairness though, the detailers who advertise are regional - so they have less market than a software app. And there are app vendors on the list, such as Tesla Plus for iOS who have met vendor criteria (it's not just 'pay us money').

We've had some vendors in the past, before policies were put in place, that ripped off TMC members. I was one who lost money in a carbon fiber scam several years ago, along with several other Roadster owners. I do know that now vendors have to supply a certain amount of info before being allowed to advertise.

Allen has a nice product and I hope it turns into something lucrative for him.

• Disagree
Reactions: SG57 and Wknapp0924
I don't know if there is a sliding scale or not. And def not trying to defend one side or the other - just pointing out that closing the thread (with warning) is not as arbitrary as some have assumed.

In fairness though, the detailers who advertise are regional - so they have less market than a software app. And there are app vendors on the list, such as Tesla Plus for iOS who have met vendor criteria (it's not just 'pay us money').

We've had some vendors in the past, before policies were put in place, that ripped off TMC members. I was one who lost money in a carbon fiber scam several years ago, along with several other Roadster owners. I do know that now vendors have to supply a certain amount of info before being allowed to advertise.

Allen has a nice product and I hope it turns into something lucrative for him.
Bonnie, I quite agree that vendors should be 'paying for the privilege', but the reality is that some apps don't make that much, especially when the only income is from a one-time fee. Perhaps the business model should be annual, but that's the author's issue and calculation on what works best and gets more/fewer clients.

I also have no idea on what pricing is for the 'vendor' tag, and as you say, whether it is, or should be, a sliding scale, or different for different categories is another topic for the forum management. My comment was purely aimed at the fact that software support is sometimes a pastime of love and not money. :)

The Tesla forums sure are crappy, though! Haven't been there in over a year, and forgot I signed up with a name I can't change....

Yes, as is usual there is another side to the story. We ask that those using TMC for commercial purposes follow certain guidelines and pay a monthly fee to which we come to an agreement together. We do this partly to help provide funds to maintain and improve the site, but also to keep the TMC forums from becoming overly commercial as would likely happen if it were a free for all for all businesses to post at will. The pricing we use is designed to be affordable to the various types of businesses. We already have had multiple Vendors paying the same amount to which we offered the Remote S developer.

We asked the developer of 'Remote S' app if he was willing to pay a Vendor fee (I think nearly 2 years ago). He did not have any interest in paying a fee. As we were late in letting him know this and he was already in communication with many users on the site, we allowed him to continue to do so. However it has gotten to a point where it is just unfair for other paying Vendors. I notified him of this months ago, and he was still uninterested in becoming a proper Vendor for the time being and said that he is ready to put a hold on development of Remote S. I don't know if that is still the case, but regardless we let him continue for a few more months and gave him a heads up that we would be closing the thread.

I hope that provides some context in which to understand why we are doing this. We understand it is inconvenient to some users, but rules and guidelines are designed to improve things overall and in the long run, and keep things fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.