Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote S: Tesla app for Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried to buy the app, but couldn't. It says that iOS 8.2 or greater is required. My phones and iPads are running 8.1 and I have no interest in updating until iOS9 is released (and reports indicate there are no issues with it). Anyone have an idea why you can not buy/install this app if you are running iOS8.1?

Tried to buy the app, but couldn't. It says that iOS 8.2 or greater is required. My phones and iPads are running 8.1 and I have no interest in updating until iOS9 is released (and reports indicate there are no issues with it). Anyone have an idea why you can not buy/install this app if you are running iOS8.1?
No doubt because Alan is using a current version of Xcode and is using parts of the iOS SDK that require a newer version of iOS. He could attempt to recompile the app to support older versions, but that would take time away from other projects. Once you find a version of iOS that you like, I'd say buy it then.

This app is that good that I would consider upgrading my operating system to have it. Just one person's opinion.

I am a newby, 2 weeks, 85D owner and I am Loving it!!! I also just received my pre -ordered Apple watch and couldn't wait to try out all the Remote S features on it. Everything seems to work perfectly except the map on the last screen on the watch. It just displays white no matter how long I leave it on that screen. Thought maybe it was a refresh issue but it always displays white. The iPhone version works flawlessly and shows every thing available. It's just the watch map display portion that shows a white screen. Being both a Tesla AND AppleWatch owner, I am willing to strike it up as user error but just wanted to check on the board and see what others have experienced.

I am a newby, 2 weeks, 85D owner and I am Loving it!!! I also just received my pre -ordered Apple watch and couldn't wait to try out all the Remote S features on it. Everything seems to work perfectly except the map on the last screen on the watch. It just displays white no matter how long I leave it on that screen. Thought maybe it was a refresh issue but it always displays white. The iPhone version works flawlessly and shows every thing available. It's just the watch map display portion that shows a white screen. Being both a Tesla AND AppleWatch owner, I am willing to strike it up as user error but just wanted to check on the board and see what others have experienced.

I heard at least one other person mention this, but then that person said it worked suddenly for him on its own after a while. Not sure why that is. Can you post a screenshot of what you see? Are you able to use the maps app on your watch? Perhaps restarting the Apple Watch might fix this?

The same happened to me when I first installed it but then worked a few minutes later after I swiped between the screens a few times. Maybe it just takes a little time.

The same happened to me when I first installed it but then worked a few minutes later after I swiped between the screens a few times. Maybe it just takes a little time.

Well this is interesting. I was getting ready to take screen shots. First opened the Applewatch app for maps and it looked fine. Took a screen shot. Opened Remote S and went to the previously white map screen and for the time saw the refresh symbol and like magic the map popped up. Just opening the built in map first allowed me to then see the Remote S map. \i/

Well this is interesting. I was getting ready to take screen shots. First opened the Applewatch app for maps and it looked fine. Took a screen shot. Opened Remote S and went to the previously white map screen and for the time saw the refresh symbol and like magic the map popped up. Just opening the built in map first allowed me to then see the Remote S map. \i/

Just got upgraded to 2.0, but I still get the white map screen on the Watch also. Instead of the car name in the upper left, it has "N".

Not a big deal for me, I know where the car is.

Just a status update on Remote S v2.0. The app is in review. Hopefully it passes review without any problems. That means that it will be released later today. I noticed some bugs in the app. For example, battery current doesn't match the official app if the charger is not a supercharger. I did not know this, because I did not have a regular charger in NYC. It matches the supercharger amperage perfectly. Or perhaps it isn't a bug, and I am reporting the correct battery current and the official app is wrong? We shall see.

Congrats on passing v2.0 approval and releasing a great app!
I just downloaded it and think it looks great; will leave a 5-star review shortly.

Regarding current readings, Tesla's API actually provides two current readings:

1. DC current for the battery, which you seem to have already successfully used
2. AC charge current, which can be limited (reduced) through the official mobile app

If you look at the VisibleTesla graph below, you'll see that for AC charging (non-supercharger or DC charge), AC current is displayed as well as DC (battery) current - which is obviously lower than AC current:

AC charge.png

For supercharging, only DC (battery) current is obviously being used and thus displayed:

Supercharge.png

And the same is true for a DC charge through the CHAdeMO adapter:

CHAdeMO.png

iOS 8.2 was the version Apple released to first support the Apple Watch. I suspect that native Watch support by the Remote S app is the reason for the iOS version limit.

Just got upgraded to 2.0, but I still get the white map screen on the Watch also. Instead of the car name in the upper left, it has "N".

Not a big deal for me, I know where the car is.

The "N" means that it's facing North.

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats on passing v2.0 approval and releasing a great app!
I just downloaded it and think it looks great; will leave a 5-star review shortly.

Regarding current readings, Tesla's API actually provides two current readings:

1. DC current for the battery, which you seem to have already successfully used
2. AC charge current, which can be limited (reduced) through the official mobile app

Thanks. Can you show me the API response for charging for those graphs? This way I know what variable to display. I can't drive for a while, so I can't go to the charging station to figure this out.

- - - Updated - - -

iOS 8.2 was the version Apple released to first support the Apple Watch. I suspect that native Watch support by the Remote S app is the reason for the iOS version limit.

I think it's possible for me to allow the app to run on a lower version. But I don't have a 8.1 device to test on to make sure that everything works fine, and I don't see a reason to. We're already on iOS 8.4. And a jailbreak is available for 8.4 already, if that's the reason for not upgrading past 8.1.

Thanks. Can you show me the API response for charging for those graphs? This way I know what variable to display. I can't drive for a while, so I can't go to the charging station to figure this out.

It might be easier to just point you to Tesla's JSON API documentation for charging commands and responses:

Tesla Model S JSON API · Apiary

The relevant parameters you'll be looking for are:

1. battery_current (this is the DC current value you're probably already using)
2. charger_actual_current (this is the AC current being drawn from the AC "charger", or EVSE to be more accurate)

If you also plan on implementing a control in your app that would limit the current below the maximum that the EVSE supports, similar to the way the official mobile app from Tesla does it, you may be interested in the variable:

charger_pilot_current

I hope that's enough to get you going. If you want actual API queries and responses from VisibleTesla, I'll have to wait until the next time I do an AC charge at an EVSE to get you samples.

Does anyone know whether there is a user guide for this app? I am getting very frustrated with it after "playing" with it for about an hour. I do not intend to bother Allen with it, as he just had surgery and should be resting instead of being on this site.

First, I could not initially download the app, as it required iOS8.2 or above, and all my devices are running iOS8.1. However, in order to buy this app, I downloaded iOS8.4 onto my iPhone 6 Plus. Now, one of my apps that I use often no longer loads, and I need to contact the author to see when they will update the app for iOS8.4. Not happy with that.

Second, there seems to be a bug in the app that causes the app to crash. After installing the app, I turned on breadcrumbs and took a drive. The app seemed to work (although I have an issue that will be discussed below), with it periodically placing red pins on the map. When I click on a pin, a white statistics box pop up, with information such as, for example, "41mph SOC 80% 210.3 mi 29)7/1/15, 12:45:54 PM ODO: 178...". In addition there is an arrow, which I presume is to see more information. However, when I click on the arrow (or actually anywhere in that white box), the screen flashes and the app exists.

Third, I find the screen to be very busy in comparison to Tesla's app. I want to see the map and pins and nothing else. However, the top of the screen is occupied by a box that includes heading, the icon for turning ON and OFF breadcrumbs, map formats and speed. The bottom 1/3 of the screen is occupied with a box that shows the car icon and numerous other info. No matter what I do, I can not get these two boxes to disappear, so that only the map shows. Clicking on the icon at the upper right of the screen allows me to remove the upper screen box, but I can not delete the lower screen box. How do I remove the lower screen box so that only the map data shows?

Fourth, I took 4 trips since installing this app. The breadcrumbs feature worked on the first trip. The breadcrumbs feature did not work on the second and third trips. I kept turning breadcrumbs OFF and ON while driving hoping to get it to work, but without success. Then, somehow the breadcrumbs feature started working again (without me doing anything) on the fourth trip. I do not understand what is going on here.

If anyone can offer assistance I would appreciate it.

It might be easier to just point you to Tesla's JSON API documentation for charging commands and responses:

Tesla Model S JSON API · Apiary

The relevant parameters you'll be looking for are:

1. battery_current (this is the DC current value you're probably already using)
2. charger_actual_current (this is the AC current being drawn from the AC "charger", or EVSE to be more accurate)

If you also plan on implementing a control in your app that would limit the current below the maximum that the EVSE supports, similar to the way the official mobile app from Tesla does it, you may be interested in the variable:

charger_pilot_current

I hope that's enough to get you going. If you want actual API queries and responses from VisibleTesla, I'll have to wait until the next time I do an AC charge at an EVSE to get you samples.

I am using battery_current and charger_pilot_current. I'm missing charger_actual_current. So what does the official app display? Does it display charge_pilot_current (in white) / charger actual current (in grey) when in AC? Or is it the other way around? And then just battery_current if it's a supercharger and nothing else?

I had no plans to buy an Apple watch, but have been following this thread. Well, around 1pm on Sunday I decided just to take a quick look at delivery times on the Apple website. It said 2 to 3 weeks. When I got to the last config/ purchase page it had an option to "Schedule appointment for pickup." I figured they would ship the watch to the store and I could meet with an Apple rep re setup and use of the watch. I clicked the option.

My computer reported that the first available appointment was at 1:30 that same day. I made a 3:30 appointment and now own a watch. Apple should be paying Allen a commission for all of these watches he has sold!

One question - is there any central location that has instructions for how to use the app (especially ver2)? I've picked up snippets of instructions by browsing this thread, and took a look at the "what's new" notes for the Ver 2 update, but it would be nice if there was a central guide with all of the features and how to access them.

If I've overlooked a link in this thread, or on the RegoApp site, I apologize in advance!

I am using battery_current and charger_pilot_current. I'm missing charger_actual_current. So what does the official app display? Does it display charge_pilot_current (in white) / charger actual current (in grey) when in AC? Or is it the other way around? And then just battery_current if it's a supercharger and nothing else?

Yeah, it's the other way around for AC charging. You're correct for DC charging.
Here's a screenshot of the official Tesla mobile app while AC charging:

image.jpg

It displays the actual current in white, bold font and the pilot current in gray font.

You know what though, I was wrong about limiting the current from the app: it's just not possible to reduce current, only charge limit in % terms (from 50 to 100% I believe).
So please ignore my previous comments about adding charge current limits from your app, it's just not possible from Tesla's existing APIs.

Here's a screenshot of a DC charge via the CHAdeMO adapter:

image.jpg

In this case, the only current displayed is the battery current in white, bold font.
The same should be displayed for a supercharge.

Let me know if this helps!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.