Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote S: Tesla app for Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Third, I find the screen to be very busy in comparison to Tesla's app. I want to see the map and pins and nothing else. However, the top of the screen is occupied by a box that includes heading, the icon for turning ON and OFF breadcrumbs, map formats and speed. The bottom 1/3 of the screen is occupied with a box that shows the car icon and numerous other info. No matter what I do, I can not get these two boxes to disappear, so that only the map shows. Clicking on the icon at the upper right of the screen allows me to remove the upper screen box, but I can not delete the lower screen box. How do I remove the lower screen box so that only the map data shows?

Taping on the upper right icon which looks like 3 sheets of paper removes the boxes and shows only the map.

I had no plans to buy an Apple watch, but have been following this thread. Well, around 1pm on Sunday I decided just to take a quick look at delivery times on the Apple website. It said 2 to 3 weeks. When I got to the last config/ purchase page it had an option to "Schedule appointment for pickup." I figured they would ship the watch to the store and I could meet with an Apple rep re setup and use of the watch. I clicked the option.

My computer reported that the first available appointment was at 1:30 that same day. I made a 3:30 appointment and now own a watch. Apple should be paying Allen a commission for all of these watches he has sold!

One question - is there any central location that has instructions for how to use the app (especially ver2)? I've picked up snippets of instructions by browsing this thread, and took a look at the "what's new" notes for the Ver 2 update, but it would be nice if there was a central guide with all of the features and how to access them.

If I've overlooked a link in this thread, or on the RegoApp site, I apologize in advance!

Reading the change log for version 2.0 tells you all the hidden shortcut buttons for easier access. Tapping on the Remote S logo on top lets you turn on Camp Mode. On the watch, a lot of people who first started using it did not realize that you could press harder on the screen to open the menu. Each screen on the watch has its own unique set of commands in the menu, including the temperature setting screen. If you have more than one car, you can switch it by press the three lines on the top left of the iPhone app, and then pressing the Car icon with the circular arrows. There are also settings for the app in the Settings app on your iPhone. Some of those settings are useful. There are two shortcuts to get to the settings for Remote S. One is in the car switching/sign out page. The button looks like a cogwheel/gear. The second way is to press and hold the bottom-right area of the car stats box for about 2 seconds. If you're in the U.S., it should say Ideal Range where the hidden button is.

Not on my phone. Tapping on that icon removes the upper box but not the lower box. What happing is the car icon and other data in the lower box change to efficiency, current trip and avg speed data. The box remains on approx. the lower 1/3 of the screen.

Allen, I don't want you to deal with my issues right now. Rest and get better quickly.

Not on my phone. Tapping on that icon removes the upper box but not the lower box. What happing is the car icon and other data in the lower box change to efficiency, current trip and avg speed data. The box remains on approx. the lower 1/3 of the screen.

Allen, I don't want you to deal with my issues right now. Rest and get better quickly.

Tapping on the white circular button on the left shows and hides that box. The button is opposite of the show user location button.

Tapping on the white circular button on the left shows and hides that box. The button is opposite of the show user location button.

Thank you Allen, but please rest and get better.

Anyone have any idea why the breadcrumbs feature does not work all the time? And why tapping on the white icon box that appears when you tap on a red pin cause the app to crash?

Posted at 1:46 PM

Posted at 2:04 PM--18 minutes later.

Not much later:
Thank you Allen, but please rest...

You may as well ask a duck not to quack!

This guy is amazing. He's going to keep posting in this thread unless the nurses physically take his devices away from him. We can all be nice and considerate and tell him to rest and relax, and ignore us for a while, and be totally sincere about it, but does anyone really think, at this point, he's going to listen?

Allen--You know how the forum feels. Everyone wants you to rest and recover, and no one is expecting you to be supporting your app right now. So do as little as you want, or absolutely nothing, of course.

That being said, Allen did say, before going in for the surgery, that being able to be involved this way might help with the boredom of the recovery. So I figure if he's feeling up to posting, that's awesome--let him post! It's probably helping him feel better, and helping him keep his mind off other things, like post-operative pain.

Posted at 1:46 PM

That being said, Allen did say, before going in for the surgery, that being able to be involved this way might help with the boredom of the recovery. So I figure if he's feeling up to posting, that's awesome--let him post! It's probably helping him feel better, and helping him keep his mind off other things, like post-operative pain.

In that case, can I request a user guide, maybe even incorporating it into version 3, when it is released? Just kidding. :)

Thank you Allen, but please rest and get better.

Anyone have any idea why the breadcrumbs feature does not work all the time? And why tapping on the white icon box that appears when you tap on a red pin cause the app to crash?

It's hard to explain why the breadcrumb doesn't work without seeing what is going on. My guess is that either your connection is poor where you drove by and/or Tesla's API server is throttling you for some reason. There's also the chance that you turned of breadcrumb mode and didn't know. Blue means on.

As for the crashing, I do not know. It doesn't crash for me, but then again, I'm on iOS 8.3 and didn't update to 8.4 yet.

In that case, can I request a user guide, maybe even incorporating it into version 3, when it is released? Just kidding. :)

I think a user guide is a great idea. And I think it would be fantastic if the TMC community could write a draft of one while Allen is recovering, and present it to him so that he can then edit or tweak it as he sees fit, but so that he doesn't have to do the bulk of the work involved in writing it from scratch.

Towards that end, I started a thread here: Community Creation Of A User Guide For Remote S, Version 2.0

Let's see if we can give a little back to Allen, by writing a draft Remote S User Guide that he can then make use of.

Thanks!

It's hard to explain why the breadcrumb doesn't work without seeing what is going on. My guess is that either your connection is poor where you drove by and/or Tesla's API server is throttling you for some reason. There's also the chance that you turned of breadcrumb mode and didn't know. Blue means on.

As for the crashing, I do not know. It doesn't crash for me, but then again, I'm on iOS 8.3 and didn't update to 8.4 yet.

Strong LTE signal (4 bars) where I drove. Also full strength on the car's 3G connection. Breadcrumbs is ON. I know that because it flashes that breadcrumbs is ON above the outline of the car.

I'm thinking the crashing may be related to iOS 8.4. As I noted in an earlier post, one of my apps that worked in iOS8.1 no longer works under iOS8.4.

I think a user guide is a great idea. And I think it would be fantastic if the TMC community could write a draft of one while Allen is recovering, and present it to him so that he can then edit or tweak it as he sees fit, but so that he doesn't have to do the bulk of the work involved in writing it from scratch.

Towards that end, I started a thread here: Community Creation Of A User Guide For Remote S, Version 2.0

Let's see if we can give a little back to Allen, by writing a draft Remote S User Guide that he can then make use of.

Thanks!

i think this is a great idea. The first response on your new thread could simply be a copy of the Ver 2 change log as reflected in the App Store. Unfortunately I have not been able to figure out how to cut and paste on my iPad.

i think this is a great idea. The first response on your new thread could simply be a copy of the Ver 2 change log as reflected in the App Store. Unfortunately I have not been able to figure out how to cut and paste on my iPad.

I just posted the Version 2 change log in that thread, as you suggested. Not surprisingly, it wasn't the first response though, as Allen, from his hospital bed, posted the first response in that thread!

Strong LTE signal (4 bars) where I drove. Also full strength on the car's 3G connection. Breadcrumbs is ON. I know that because it flashes that breadcrumbs is ON above the outline of the car.

I'm thinking the crashing may be related to iOS 8.4. As I noted in an earlier post, one of my apps that worked in iOS8.1 no longer works under iOS8.4.

Maybe you're being throttled by Tesla's servers. Try going to the app settings and changing the refresh rate to something slower like 10 seconds instead of 5 seconds. I guess iOS 8.4 broke some things. Unfortunately, I was coding the app while using an iOS 8.3 device, so I did not see the crash. Does anyone else have version 8.4 and can verify this crashing bug?

- - - Updated - - -

I just posted the Version 2 change log in that thread, as you suggested. Not surprisingly, it wasn't the first response though, as Allen, from his hospital bed, posted the first response in that thread!

The change log from the iPad is actually cropped because of a character limit. There's a longer change log somewhere in this thread when I first said that I submitted the app to the app store. June 22-23? There's a mistake in it. It said that there's a "voice command on open" setting, but the voice command feature didn't make it into version 2.0. I will try to add it to version 3.0.

The change log from the iPad is actually cropped because of a character limit. There's a longer change log somewhere in this thread when I first said that I submitted the app to the app store. June 22-23? There's a mistake in it. It said that there's a "voice command on open" setting, but the voice command feature didn't make it into version 2.0. I will try to add it to version 3.0.

I actually found the change log in this thread, and posted that one. I'll go back now to edit out the part about the voice command feature.

Love the new app update and I agree, his app drives some watch sales likely. I think $10 is a great price for the app. You can see from the screenshot, I love my job and Tesla!

great update with new features
image.jpg

Love the new app update and I agree, his app drives some watch sales likely. I think $10 is a great price for the app. You can see from the screenshot, I love my job and Tesla!

great update with new features
Ah, you work for Apple. Very cool. Interesting how your top bar is black is blue font where as in my device, it's dark blue with white font. Did you customize your device somehow?

I believe your new app has overloaded the Tesla servers!! I am unable to access from my location! Contrats, That means you are a success!! ?

If this is true, I'm not sure Allen is going to view that as a success.

I believe the new app decreases the default interval time between contacting the Tesla servers. Allen had tested this, and found the default he was using to be acceptable. But there's nothing to prevent Tesla from changing things on their end, which they could have done in response to their servers being hit more frequently.

I don't know that the above is what's going on, but it is one possibility. Another is that even if Tesla made no change today, Allen testing the frequency could have been fine, but then having a bunch of users using the app with the same polling frequency is above some overall threshold Tesla has set for throttling.

Luckily if this is the issue, the app has a setting, as I understand it, so that users can change the frequency on their own. But back to my original point, none of this is likely to be anything Allen is particularly happy about.

Status
Not open for further replies.