Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regulatory Credits - How BMW and Daimler Will Fund Tesla's Conquest of the World

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
or else Tesla is up to something impacting the GM line but outside of the conversation thus far.

There are a LOT of inefficiencies that Tesla is addressing right now. Listen to Elon on the Khan Academy video. He talks about the production line being held up because of a late shipment of $3 USB cables from China. Lots of things like this happen when production is ramped up. Since Tesla is manufacturing several of the components of the car, perhaps they expect the processes to get more efficient and cheaper later in the year. This could have a big impact on cost and profit.

There are a LOT of inefficiencies that Tesla is addressing right now. Listen to Elon on the Khan Academy video. He talks about the production line being held up because of a late shipment of $3 USB cables from China. Lots of things like this happen when production is ramped up. Since Tesla is manufacturing several of the components of the car, perhaps they expect the processes to get more efficient and cheaper later in the year. This could have a big impact on cost and profit.

Yep. I'm not happy with those redesign comments from Elon. Leads me to believe that they are possibly not hitting their ramp targets / gates for the quarter. And maybe he is suggesting they need to redesign chassis construction in order to hit the year end target of 25% GM. Other possibility is that these mfg inefficiencies are limiting their future production rate capacity ...

PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed written consent.

So, it all began in 1970 with the Clean Air Act.
After all these years only 12 states have stepped forward, and have really done something with it.
What about all the other states?
How do they think about clean air?

Those inefficiencies matter only insofar as they decrease production rates and increase labor costs (and at the margins, material costs). Where is the evidence that they have been operating at greater than 50 hours per week? In Q4 we knew they averaged at least 70hrs/week because Elon told us, and we had repeated reports of most workers working 80 and 90 hour weeks, and again this is something that Elon himself mentioned. Heck, his comment was that he was encouraging that workers work on Sundays, but not requiring it. This in an environment where everyone was working 12 hour days.

They were also doing this with hundreds of temp workers on the payroll, and basically hand building all of the cars through November. In December they fired up regular production and put out ~1,200 cars in the last 3 weeks of the month with the same level of company wide effort. This bloated payroll was sustained for the entirety of Q4 in order to produce a total of ~2,400 cars, so if you are doing projections from Q4, recall that Tesla took 10 weeks to produce ~1,200 cars, then 3 weeks to produce another 1,200. Think of weekly labor costs being the same in the 1st week as they were in the 13th and you will be closer to the reality of the situation than if you attempt to average unit labor costs over the quarter.

We have no evidence of any of this being a "feature" of Q1. By the February conference call they were talking about maximum 50 hour work weeks being the norm and the rapid elimination of temp positions throughout the company.

The key thing to understand is that the vast majority of labor costs in Q4 (and indeed Q3) were being spent while producing all of the pre-production founders cars, press vehicles, store displays, Signature Series cars, etc. They flipped the switch on General Production in December and doubled their production for the year. There is no need to suppose that the vast labor investment prior to flipping that switch had much relation at all to their production rate after the switch was thrown.

They were certainly working massive amounts of overtime the last few weeks of December, but we don't actually know it was needed to produce the cars. They were in end of quarter emergency mode and a lot of their extreme QA measures might have been continuing more out of momentum and hyper vigilance than actual need. What we know is that Q4 cars were being delivered with 100+ miles, while Q1 cars were being delivered with 10-15 miles on them. And the reports of super human efforts at the factory basically ended in January. I think most of the "excess" labor effort was gone by February at the latest.

My first pass guesstimate is that unit labor costs on the production line might well have declined (conservatively) by 40-60+% by the beginning of February. Then they moved to 500/units/week at the end of February. Maybe they increased hours to do that, but how much? It seems clear it didn't take a super human effort like they were doing in Q4. If they managed to increase production with substantially the same labor inputs, then that is another ~25% reduction in unit/labor on top of the baseline reductions.

I think they also wrung a lot of the unit delivery costs out of the system by February, such that the increase in production rate would have then resulted in a linear increase in unit costs from the lower baseline. Regardless, delivery flows were exceedingly smooth compared to anything achieved in Q4. It's certainly possible to smooth the flows with increased man hours, but the actual delivery process largely switched from home delivery to central pickups, which you would expect to substantially reduce labor inputs.

I just can't get it out of my head that 10-15% GM for the quarter looks like a credibly conservative estimate BEFORE adding in credits. And it was much closer to 20+% in the month of March. If Elon told me they hit 30% in the month of March it would not shock me.

- - - Updated - - -

So, it all began in 1970 with the Clean Air Act.
After all these years only 12 states have stepped forward, and have really done something with it.
What about all the other states?
How do they think about clean air?

The Clean Air Act covers all 50 states. However, at the time that the Clean Air Act was passed California already had already established their own clean air laws. Those laws were grandfathered into the Clean Air Act, so you had the U.S. rules, and the California rules. The CAA also allowed other states to adopt California regulations if they got a waiver from the EPA.

In general, California has had more stringent rules, but its not totally safe to assume that in all circumstances.

Just to help clarify the magnitude of this labor issue lets do some quick illustrative models (meaning they are not meant to reflect reality).

Assumptions:

1,100 permanent production line workers (a number I heard from somewhere, but it sounds low based on 3,000 employees).
200 Temporary line workers (illustrative and probably low) in Q4, 100 turn permanent Q1
1,900 workers of all other types
Payroll cost of $25/hour (this is a total unit cost for illustrative purposes, but does anyone really think its less? For a California Auto Manufacturer??)
13 Weeks Q4 (actual)
12 Weeks Q1 (actual + week off)

Q4 Line Worker Labor Costs @80hrs/week = $46,475,000 13weeks((40hrs*$25*1,300)+(20hrs*$37.50*1,300)+(20*$50*1,300))
Q4 All Other Labor Costs @60hrs/week = $43,225,000 13weeks((40hrs*$25*1900)+(20hrs*$37.50*1900))
Total = $89,700,000

Q1 Line Worker Labor Costs @50hrs/week = $19,800,000 12weeks((40hrs*$25*1,200)+(10hrs*$37.50*1,200))
Q1 All Other Labor Costs @40hrs/week = $22,800,000 12weeks(40hrs*$25*1900)
Total $42,600,000

Thats a reduced labor cost of $47,100,000 between Q4 and Q1 in this illustrative model.
Q4 per unit labor cost of $37,375 (company wide, 2,400 units)
Q1 per unit labor cost of $8,970 (company wide, 4,750 units)

Very basic model sure, but the question is what are the real numbers? What reasonable guesses don't end up with a massive reduction in per unit labor costs?

In fairness, the revenue per unit is also down because of no more Sig's, and because of 60kWh production. But still.

Last edited:
As I pointed out at the beginning of this thread, $5,000 for the ZEV credit is a minimum. If Tesla is only citing ZEV credits (as they appear to be doing) and if half of all Q1 sales were generating ZEV credits, the implied market value per credit is ~$6,940. I have previously seen credits quoted @$7,000/credit, so I find this to be a credible explanation.

If so, then total regulatory credit income was substantially more than $68m, and the value of the GHG and CAFE credits is buried in the inflated revenue numbers.

Elon Musk said he expects a decline of ZEV credits in Q2, and Q3 and potentially no ZEV credits in Q4.

That doesn't make any sense to me.

Something just has got to be wrong about this statement.

Does he mean that they won't be getting any ZEV credits any more in Q4?

What is going on?

Elon Musk said he expects a decline of ZEV credits in Q2, and Q3 and potentially no ZEV credits in Q4.

That doesn't make any sense to me.

Something just has got to be wrong about this statement.

Does he mean that they won't be getting any ZEV credits any more in Q4?

What is going on?

They will still be generating credits, but just might not have anyone who needs to buy them (though I am increasingly skeptical of that).

Automakers need to purchase credits to fill their quota. Their quota is based on how many cars they sell, and the ZEV portion of that quota is 0.79%. For the overall California market that works out to a need for ~26,000 credits for 2012-2013. Tesla will generate ~30,000 credits, so just in terms of raw numbers you can see how they might not be able to sell them all.

Furthermore, a lot of automakers are generating their own credits by manufacturing EV's. At the moment, Toyota (for example) is just barely on pace to satisfy the portion of their 2012 ZEV deficit by selling RAV4's. However most (besides Nissan) are doing quite poorly, so the market is substantial. Without looking at actual numbers you could easily imagine that automakers are on pace to generate 40% of the requirement (~10,400) leaving a need to purchase 14,600 credits from Tesla.

If that were the case, Tesla might be close to saturating the market. But in reality it isn't, because the TOTAL ZEV requirement is far larger. You can fill the majority of it with hybrids (prius) and PHEV's (volt), but most automakers have not done a good job of selling those cars either. If there turns out to be a big deficit in the total market (even after Toyota sells its massive stock of Prius credits) then Tesla will still be able to sell huge numbers of credits to satisfy the lessor requirements.

Also, you should keep in mind that Nissan will also have a decent number of credits. Not as many as Tesla, but Nissan will be making a ton of cash too.

It is in Tesla's interest to draw attention away from the credits. First of all, analysts are thinking "sustainable revenue" and credits are just too uncertain to be in that category. Second, it seems that many (most?) Americans feel there is something unethical/cronyistic about such schemes, and reports of Tesla's huge credits revenues could therefore speed up the demise of the credits.

Third, this could be a good thing for management to have up their sleeve e.g. in case the 25% margin takes longer than planned. Fourth, talking down the credits helps tesla pull up the ladder after climbing up - competitors who can't rely on help from credits will have a harder time getting into the market.

Last edited:
It is in Tesla's interest to draw attention away from the credits. First of all, analysts are thinking "sustainable events" and credits are just too uncertain to be in that category. Second, it seems that many (most?) Americans feel there is something unethical/cronyistic about such schemes, and reports of Tesla's huge credits revenues could therefore speed up the demise of the credits.

Third, this could be a good thing for management to have up their sleeve e.g. in case the 25% margin takes longer than planned. Fourth, talking down the credits helps tesla pull up the ladder after climbing up - competitors who can't rely on help from credits will have a harder time getting into the market.

Well spoken. Less attention is better, both for stock valuation issues as well as for political reasons.