Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen and Brake Lights - Highway Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the purpose of brake lights is to indicate the car is slowing, then why do you think the hybrid car method is not proper? No brake lights until you press the brake. Only difference is they connected regen to the brake pedal vs. releasing the throttle.

So both do the "right" thing in showing brake lights when the car slowed, but the hybrid is closer to what 95% of the population expects from a user interface perspective.
Simply, one aspect I *love* about the S is one-pedal driving. What you've described with the Focus is still using two pedals. I think Tesla got it right.

Reactions: Tedkidd
Well, they got it right for you. That aspect of things is obviously subjective. As an ex-racer, I am used the precision of the 2 pedals, but I have also adapted just fine to the Tesla, so I have no complaint.

And we both agree that regardless, if the car is going to actively slow down, brake lights are in order!

Simply, one aspect I *love* about the S is one-pedal driving. What you've described with the Focus is still using two pedals. I think Tesla got it right.

Reactions: Ugliest1
Well, they got it right for you. That aspect of things is obviously subjective. As an ex-racer, I am used the precision of the 2 pedals, but I have also adapted just fine to the Tesla, so I have no complaint.

And we both agree that regardless, if the car is going to actively slow down, brake lights are in order!
Point taken. I have *zero* experience with racing. Other than racing against a deadline, I guess. :)

I've watched many other cars on the road and their brake lights, and almost all have more unnecessary brake light activation than does my Model S. I'd suggest that Tesla has it about as close to perfect as it's possible to get without a wireless connection between the following car and your car. The hybrid way requires a lot of complexity to simulate brake pedal push (there's actually a brake pedal simulator) and provides poor pedal feel--especially on less-than-perfect roads. More things to go wrong is not what you want in a brake system. Tesla's system provides both the driver and the following car with good feedback while keeping a mechanically simple system.

I too like the one pedal driving, but I dislike the fact that I get different amounts of regen depending on battery temperature and/or if 100% charged, so I would prefer "consistent" even if that means having to use brake pedal (and getting regen for the first part of brake pedal travel).

Would it be weird to get some brake activity on one-pedal driving (i.e. if Regen not available / limited)?

Now we are in summer its a rare problem (only if charge to 100%), but in Winter I leave every morning with varying amounts of regen each day.

I would also (whilst I'm on it!!) like cruise to attempt not to use the brakes. If there is enough follow-distance, and car in front deceleration not dramatic, then use up some follow-space. When I drive (not so much now :) ) I can process the information ahead to achieve that, less dramatic for any car following me that is still driving manually ... and too close! The guy behind is already thinking "What is the car in front leaving such a big gap" and then when Cruise maintains that gap, when the car in front slows down, I'm becoming a danger to both of use ...

One pedal driving also needs to be able to come to a complete stop, so I don't have to sometimes brake, and sometimes not (e.g. slight uphill incline, lots of space to car in front).

Now we are in summer its a rare problem (only if charge to 100%), but in Winter I leave every morning with varying amounts of regen each day.

I've owned my car through 5 winters now. I have dealt with everything from absolutely zero re-gen to the full amount in the cold. For whatever reason, I don't at all seem bothered by it. In certain conditions (slippery roads), I actually prefer a little less re-gen so as not to lose traction if I let off the "go pedal" too quickly.

I'm not bothered with it, per se, but I do have to moderate my driving accordingly and I think there is risk associated with that inconsistency - i.e. having to be aware to brake significantly harder when there is no regen, and having to keep an eye on the dashboard to see when regen is fully available again.
My view is it's a minimal risk. Regen comes back soon enough.