Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Refreshed" Model S model VIBRATION tracking and information thread!!!

What version of "Refreshed" Model S do you drive?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m a prospective MSP buyer. Are these issues across the board or more heavily seen on cars with the 21s?
The vibration is across the board on the refreshed models S/Y; even Tesla says this when they classify it as normal (as they all do it to some degree). Again, this per TESLA (not me). I have it in writing. The 21s are prone to rear inner tire wear/failure prior to 10k miles. The 21s also "hop, skip and jump" when slow turning in the colder fall/winter weather - in addition to costing you an additional $4500.

• Informative
Reactions: Ewiz and aerodyne
The vibration is across the board on the refreshed models S/Y; even Tesla says this when they classify it as normal (as they all do it to some degree). Again, this per TESLA (not me). I have it in writing. The 21s are prone to rear inner tire wear/failure prior to 10k miles. The 21s also "hop, skip and jump" when slow turning in the colder fall/winter weather - in addition to costing you an additional $4500.
The rear tire wear on the inner sides is fixable with camber arms. The skipping when turning is livable and due to the Ackermann effect. That's common to all cars with wide front tires. I might skip the 21s next time and go with the 20s from the track pack, though.

The vibration is the only thing that is truly unfixable. Although, Tesla could fix it with a simple software update...

Reactions: WilliamG
It’s purportedly the half shafts. Never actually confirmed, mind. I still think this can be solved in software.
I'm pretty convinced, since replacing the half shafts eliminated the problem for me for up to a month.

I agree, it can clearly be solved with software, since track mode and rear torque bias eliminates it. It's a band-aid, but at least it's something.

Not all have it but it does happen. How bad it is, is subjective. For some even a minor vibration could be an issue and vice versa. Mine has it but I'd still buy the car again even with it.

Keep in mind that for most that have it, it is a very narrow speed range if you have the 38-42 mph one. I've never experienced the 80+ mph one so can't comment. I know someone with a brand new MS LR who is obviously concerned but hasn't had any issues yet. It was just delivered.

Don't know if Tesla will ever fix it. I did find that the track pack brakes made mine even less of an issue so there is a good excuse for the wife if you buy one and have some vibes to buy the track brakes. :cool: No guarantee it will be better but so I was the first to report the difference and someone else just noticed it as well.

Even if my vibes were worse at about 40 mph I spend so little of my time at that speed that it is non-issue for me. I typically transition it very quickly anyway. As with all things YMMV.

This is one of the few cars I've owned that it something happened to it I'd immediately rush out and buy another one, known warts and all. I fixed the 21" tire wear issue for $200. The 21's look best on the car but I bought 20" for my track pack brakes and never heard of the tire wear issue with the 20's not to mention the fix will help the 20's anyway.

I've tested the top speed limiter with the brakes and no vibes all the way up. On anything more than very very mild acceleration, or maintaining the speed where the vibes are at (about 40 mph for me), I never am aware of them. As I wrote earlier, If I hadn't read about it, I wouldn't even think about it. It now falls into what has been seen can't be unseen for me. I'll always be looking for it now though I almost never ever do now.

If really concerned about it, buy used and drive it beforehand.

Reactions: bhzmark
I have not been able to detect any of the vibrations at speed.

I have a low frequency vibration (more a very low frequency RRRRRRRRRR than a felt vibration) when starting to drive. It always dissapears after about 1km or 1mile.
Its quite subtile, my wife do not notice it.
Sometimes it can be felt in the yoke before it dissapears.

It is speed dependant so the RRRRRR increases in frequency with increased speed. Never noticed it at more than 70kph (45 ish mph), but this is probably because it dissapears before i reach that speed.

Not all have it but it does happen. How bad it is, is subjective. For some even a minor vibration could be an issue and vice versa. Mine has it but I'd still buy the car again even with it.

Keep in mind that for most that have it, it is a very narrow speed range if you have the 38-42 mph one. I've never experienced the 80+ mph one so can't comment. I know someone with a brand new MS LR who is obviously concerned but hasn't had any issues yet. It was just delivered.

Don't know if Tesla will ever fix it. I did find that the track pack brakes made mine even less of an issue so there is a good excuse for the wife if you buy one and have some vibes to buy the track brakes. :cool: No guarantee it will be better but so I was the first to report the difference and someone else just noticed it as well.

Even if my vibes were worse at about 40 mph I spend so little of my time at that speed that it is non-issue for me. I typically transition it very quickly anyway. As with all things YMMV.

This is one of the few cars I've owned that it something happened to it I'd immediately rush out and buy another one, known warts and all. I fixed the 21" tire wear issue for $200. The 21's look best on the car but I bought 20" for my track pack brakes and never heard of the tire wear issue with the 20's not to mention the fix will help the 20's anyway.

I've tested the top speed limiter with the brakes and no vibes all the way up. On anything more than very very mild acceleration, or maintaining the speed where the vibes are at (about 40 mph for me), I never am aware of them. As I wrote earlier, If I hadn't read about it, I wouldn't even think about it. It now falls into what has been seen can't be unseen for me. I'll always be looking for it now though I almost never ever do now.

If really concerned about it, buy used and drive it beforehand.

Agreed. Mine is between 40-50 mph. If that was the only issue, I would lower the car to reduce it and perhaps get the track pack to help as well. My secondary issue is a really squeaky suspension. So, I don't want to mess with lowering the car while it squeaks like a rusty pickup truck. If they could just fix that damn squeak I'd be ok. Well, plus the front bumper they damaged during my 11th service visit.... But, I just recorded it, noted to management at the SC and left, figuring I'm going lemon law anyway.

I'm pretty convinced, since replacing the half shafts eliminated the problem for me for up to a month.

I agree, it can clearly be solved with software, since track mode and rear torque bias eliminates it. It's a band-aid, but at least it's something.
I think replacing the half shafts just changes/tightens/loosens etc something between the front motor and the shafts where they connect. I don't think it's the half shafts themselves that are the issue. Just me guessing here. But as you say, it can clearly be solved in software, at least to some degree given the Track Mode/rear bias removal of the issue..

Last edited:
Reactions: jebinc
If I still owned an S and it had the vibration problem, I would take it to the service center, ask them to remove the half shafts, and then take them to a driveline shop and pay to have them balanced. What’s there to lose, besides a few bucks for the balancing? And if it fixes the issue, maybe the good folks at Tesla would get a clue.

• Helpful
Reactions: aerodyne and jebinc
The rear tire wear on the inner sides is fixable with camber arms. The skipping when turning is livable and due to the Ackermann effect. That's common to all cars with wide front tires. I might skip the 21s next time and go with the 20s from the track pack, though.

The vibration is the only thing that is truly unfixable. Although, Tesla could fix it with a simple software update...
$1200 camber arms… add that to the $4500 up charge for the 21s. And the front wheel skipping? No fix. Normal. With the 19s, none of this nonsense and cost. Don’t like the look of the 19s, spend the $4500 saved on some monoblock forged ones you do like. That’s what I did.

IMG_2443.jpeg

IMG_1958.jpeg

IMG_1955.jpeg

If I still owned an S and it had the vibration problem, I would take it to the service center, ask them to remove the half shafts, and then take them to a driveline shop and pay to have them balanced. What’s there to lose, besides a few bucks for the balancing? And if it fixes the issue, maybe the good folks at Tesla would get a clue.
My half shafts are half @$$ed.

• Funny
Reactions: aerodyne
Just bought myself a Plaid “vibration” club membership 😃 got the “Ultra Red” thinking ahead when selling the car ..: yeah, I’m always thinking far out ;-) the 21” too which I will sell to a buddy for 4k (got the 500 bucks discount with referral).

I can’t control the price seesawing or a redesign in 2024 … the moment is now for me … delivery in September-October 2023.

Attachments

• IMG_9630.jpeg
    IMG_9630.jpeg
    138.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_9624.png
    IMG_9624.png
    545 KB · Views: 32
Just bought myself a Plaid “vibration” club membership 😃 got the “Ultra Red” thinking ahead when selling the car ..: yeah, I’m always thinking far out ;-) the 21” too which I will sell to a buddy for 4k (got the 500 bucks discount with referral).

I can’t control the price seesawing or a redesign in 2024 … the moment is now for me … delivery in September-October 2023.
I've no doubt you'll still enjoy the car despite the vibration. Welcome to the club!

Congrats! Hope you enjoy the new car. I love the red. Always end up with white regardless it seems.

I got the 40-50mph vibe yesterday.
Think it could be felt to 55mph.

It was very obvious and could be felt in both the yoke and the accelerator pedal.

I’m very sure it did not make this before, also ut is the same kind of vibration that I can hear when starting a drive where the car was parked for longer than an a few hours.

I got the 40-50mph vibe yesterday.
Think it could be felt to 55mph.

It was very obvious and could be felt in both the yoke and the accelerator pedal.

I’m very sure it did not make this before, also ut is the same kind of vibration that I can hear when starting a drive where the car was parked for longer than an a few hours.
Yup. You can go into track mode and select rear torque bias and it will go away. That confirms it is the same unsolvable vibration.

Reactions: ginmqi and AAKEE