Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Refreshed" Model S model VIBRATION tracking and information thread!!!

What version of "Refreshed" Model S do you drive?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lol yep. It’s largely experimental to see if I can avoid the vibration. I will eventually have some fun with it. TBH the biggest reason I went plaid is I like the carbon fiber trim better than the wood, plus the red calipers, and the inventory car was 10k off.
It’s irrelevant. My new 2022 vibrated right away between ~40-50 the second I drove it away from Tesla. I knew what to look for because my 2021 developed it after about 1500 miles.

Reactions: jebinc
Ahh the good old, “it doesn’t bother me so it shouldn’t bother you” argument. Always love that one. Brilliant.

Ahh the good old, “It bothers me, so it should bother everybody” argument. Always love that one. Brilliant.

Except that facts are that most people either don’t have it, or don’t notice it, or dont care.

No kidding, right? There are certainly more than a "few" unhappy, as evidenced by the plethora of TMC, REDDIT, FB and other threads on the subject... :rolleyes:

JFC: Do your own research; the facts and data will set you free!

Yes exactly — the facts.

The facts show that compared to the loud chorus of complaints that is possible by Model S buyers, the bleating on this issue is very small. The other threads complaining about Model S issues had many many many more participants over muchmore serious issues. And even then it was still a good deal to take your chances as you do with all purchases.

Potential buyers should consider the sample size reflected in the small but vocal handful of people generating so much upset and outrage in this thread compared to what is possible when more serious and more prevalant problem is the real issues.

I’m sorry if my expressing my experience, and my observations about how this issue compares to others only adds to your upset and your suffering.

I really appreciated this post. I look to get a plaid soon and this response has helped me weigh in on my decision. Thank you! I think it is overblown too, a lot of people have said it's mild etc. - it also could be that you are experiencing it very mild because yours isn't that bad?

Yes exactly, the large majority seem to not have it — either because they don’t notice it, or they do not have it at all to any degree. Most buyers are likely to finds themselves in that group and shouldnt overweight the opinions of a few people who either have it really bad, which rare, or just are the type of people that get excited about minor things like that.

Did the the people who are lamenting the vibrations on this thread, both of them, previously try MB, BMWs and Audi?

Maybe they already tried MB, BMW and Audi. . . .

• Disagree
Reactions: scrapps and MP3Mike
Ahh the good old, “It bothers me, so it should bother everybody” argument. Always love that one. Brilliant.

Except that facts are that most people either don’t have it, or don’t notice it, or dont care.

Yes exactly — the facts.

The facts show that compared to the loud chorus of complaints that is possible by Model S buyers, the bleating on this issue is very small. The other threads complaining about Model S issues had many many many more participants over muchmore serious issues. And even then it was still a good deal to take your chances as you do with all purchases.

Potential buyers should consider the sample size reflected in the small but vocal handful of people generating so much upset and outrage in this thread compared to what is possible when more serious and more prevalant problem is the real issues.

I’m sorry if my expressing my experience, and my observations about how this issue compares to others only adds to your upset and your suffering.

Yes exactly, the large majority seem to not have it — either because they don’t notice it, or they do not have it at all to any degree. Most buyers are likely to finds themselves in that group and shouldnt overweight the opinions of a few people who either have it really bad, which rare, or just are the type of people that get excited about minor things like that.

Did the the people who are lamenting the vibrations on this thread, both of them, previously try MB, BMWs and Audi?

Maybe they already tried MB, BMW and Audi. . . .

The funny thing about you is, you've already admitted to having the issue. Whether it bothers you ENOUGH is irrelevant at this point. But please, do carry on posting irrelevant links to BMWs and Mercedes forums. We've already established that there are varying severities of the problem. It's possible yours isn't as bad as ours, or that you're just not sensitive to it. Either way, maybe time to... I dunno... jog on, mate?

PS Your "facts" are hilarious.

The funny thing about you is, you've already admitted to having the issue. Whether it bothers you ENOUGH is irrelevant at this point. But please, do carry on posting irrelevant links to BMWs and Mercedes forums. We've already established that there are varying severities of the problem. It's possible yours isn't as bad as ours, or that you're just not sensitive to it. Either way, maybe time to... I dunno... jog on, mate?

Thanks for posting what many may have been thinking!

I may be crazy, but sport mode suspension seems better and car is more planted after 2023.26.11 and I didn’t notice vibration. Like I said could be crazy, regular commute tomorrow so will have a better idea. Not sure anything drive related changed in this update other than having FSD on HW4 now. Which is….interesting.
Looking forward to more people testing out 2023.26.11. I'm stuck on 2023.7.30.

The vibration could easily be eliminated in software.... maybe after two years Tesla finally did it?

• Funny
I may be crazy, but sport mode suspension seems better and car is more planted after 2023.26.11 and I didn’t notice vibration. Like I said could be crazy, regular commute tomorrow so will have a better idea. Not sure anything drive related changed in this update other than having FSD on HW4 now. Which is….interesting.
Did you notice the vibration before this update? We’ve had people say they’ve gotten updates and the vibration is gone, only for them to state they made a mistake a day later.

• Funny
Did you notice the vibration before this update? We’ve had people say they’ve gotten updates and the vibration is gone, only for them to state they made a mistake a day later.
Yes. High speed vibration was evident at around 85mph before the update, it came on in the last 2000miles or so. Was convinced it was the road for a while but got paranoid about it and went hunting around for the speed at which it’s worse pegged it to just a tick or two below 85 and tried it in different surfaces. Certainly was there. Tried all my same tricks and didn’t sense it on my commute this morning but I still haven’t managed to convince myself so not going to convince anyone else at this point. Driving home in a while let’s hope I can hit a sustained speed in traffic.

Yes. High speed vibration was evident at around 85mph before the update, it came on in the last 2000miles or so. Was convinced it was the road for a while but got paranoid about it and went hunting around for the speed at which it’s worse pegged it to just a tick or two below 85 and tried it in different surfaces. Certainly was there. Tried all my same tricks and didn’t sense it on my commute this morning but I still haven’t managed to convince myself so not going to convince anyone else at this point. Driving home in a while let’s hope I can hit a sustained speed in traffic.
Great! keep us posted!

What about the 40 to 50 mph vibration under light acceleration? Did you have that one?

I will respond to counter stupid advice to not buy the car based on a few anecdotes from a few people. Sorry you just want me to leave instead of having anything informative to say in response.

Thanks for posting what many may have been thinking!
Yes both of you.

I’m sorry that in addition to your suffering over the vibration it bothers you so much that someone else has a different opinion and dares to express that opinion — including counseling others that it is really no big deal And backing that up with evidence on both this car and others that there are always a few fragile complaining car buyers who complain about little things out of proportion to the reality.

It is fine and good to share information about this issue. I have done that also. But suggesting that people shouldn’t buy the car because of this minor vibration is simply foolish and bad advice to potential buyers and I will point that out. Sorry if that adds to your suffering.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: WilliamG and jebinc
There’s always tomorrow…

I will respond to counter stupid advice to not buy the car based on a few anecdotes from a few people. Sorry you just want me to leave instead of having anything informative to say in response.

Yes both of you.

I’m sorry that in addition to your suffering over the vibration it bothers you so much that someone else has a different opinion and dares to express that opinion — including counseling others that it is really no big deal And backing that up with evidence on both this car and others that there are always a few fragile complaining car buyers who complain about little things out of proportion to the reality.

It is fine and good to share information about this issue. I have done that also. But suggesting that people shouldn’t buy the car because of this minor vibration is simply foolish and bad advice to potential buyers and I will point that out. Sorry if that adds to your suffering.
The funniest thing about this is that no matter what you say, you’ve already admitted your car is suffering from the same/similar ailment that the rest of ours suffer from. 😂😂😂 How much it bothers you is irrelevant, because we’ve already established that some cars vibrate more than others. It’s an issue that should give buyers reason to pause, and it’s an issue Tesla should address over 2 years into customers taking delivery.

Anyway, as stated, do carry on.

People are talking about so many different vibrations I’ve all but given up on this thread. The only vibration issue that really matters with this car is the ~37-50mph vibration.
Categorically no 37-55mph vibration. At least not since it warmed up here in the Bay Area. I did put that down to flat spotted tyres as was exactly the same feeling as my Audi and only happened on cold days and wore off quickly. That car had tyre temp sensors and only happened with tyres below 40F. Varies a bit as tyres rotate out of phase. But felt identical. That one never worried me. Sorry if I am in the wrong thread but no way I am going back to read 59 pages to confirm.

Attachments

• 71566542978__96805324-4B8C-448C-AAC6-A6763F2B771A.jpeg
    71566542978__96805324-4B8C-448C-AAC6-A6763F2B771A.jpeg
    451.2 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: WilliamG
I think it is good we have this thread for visibility. Everyone has to decide what their tolerance for this might be if they consider purchasing an S. I've driven several S's (5 that weren't mine) that didn't have it, and I was carefully looking for it. I've owned an S that has, thought very minorly, and had an S that didn't exhibit any issues. They were built within a month of each other in 2022. I don't know if this applies to X's, it seems it could but I don't know and haven't read their forums, but the 2 refreshed ones I drove had no vibration issues either.

I don't think we'll know how widespread this really is. There hasn't been an objective way of measuring the vibes by anyone that I've seen. It has all been subjective and we all have our own tolerance for what is or isn't acceptable.

So I would want to make sure everyone considering an S is informed of it and check it before delivery. I suspect if you can feel it then, it will only get worse later. Doesn't really help you if it shows up really badly lately and wasn't there at the beginning. At the same time, I wouldn't tell people to not buy an S because of it.

Now if every S had it, and it was very severe (define severe), then I might do so. I've talked to other S owners on the street and they look at me like I have 2 heads when I ask them about it. The most common issue I hear from other owners is the issue of the front tires skipping when backing up and the surprising rear tire wear. Obviously they aren't forum members so I point them here to get more info.

I hope this thread will grow with concrete solutions to remediate the issue. I watch every new post even though my vibration is practically unnoticeable. If enough people have an issue, then maybe taking it to an attorney and starting a class action suit might move Tesla if it gets bad enough. I hope it doesn't get to that point.

Reactions: bhzmark and jebinc
I think it is good we have this thread for visibility. Everyone has to decide what their tolerance for this might be if they consider purchasing an S. I've driven several S's (5 that weren't mine) that didn't have it, and I was carefully looking for it. I've owned an S that has, thought very minorly, and had an S that didn't exhibit any issues. They were built within a month of each other in 2022. I don't know if this applies to X's, it seems it could but I don't know and haven't read their forums, but the 2 refreshed ones I drove had no vibration issues either.

I don't think we'll know how widespread this really is. There hasn't been an objective way of measuring the vibes by anyone that I've seen. It has all been subjective and we all have our own tolerance for what is or isn't acceptable.

So I would want to make sure everyone considering an S is informed of it and check it before delivery. I suspect if you can feel it then, it will only get worse later. Doesn't really help you if it shows up really badly lately and wasn't there at the beginning. At the same time, I wouldn't tell people to not buy an S because of it.

Now if every S had it, and it was very severe (define severe), then I might do so. I've talked to other S owners on the street and they look at me like I have 2 heads when I ask them about it. The most common issue I hear from other owners is the issue of the front tires skipping when backing up and the surprising rear tire wear. Obviously they aren't forum members so I point them here to get more info.

I hope this thread will grow with concrete solutions to remediate the issue. I watch every new post even though my vibration is practically unnoticeable. If enough people have an issue, then maybe taking it to an attorney and starting a class action suit might move Tesla if it gets bad enough. I hope it doesn't get to that point.

Yeah, same. I've had three loaners that didn't have the vibration and drove another owners car that didn't have it as well. I'm guessing it isn't very common.

Reactions: bhzmark