Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Refreshed" Model S model VIBRATION tracking and information thread!!!

What version of "Refreshed" Model S do you drive?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it is good we have this thread for visibility. Everyone has to decide what their tolerance for this might be if they consider purchasing an S. I've driven several S's (5 that weren't mine) that didn't have it, and I was carefully looking for it. I've owned an S that has, thought very minorly, and had an S that didn't exhibit any issues. They were built within a month of each other in 2022. I don't know if this applies to X's, it seems it could but I don't know and haven't read their forums, but the 2 refreshed ones I drove had no vibration issues either.

I don't think we'll know how widespread this really is. There hasn't been an objective way of measuring the vibes by anyone that I've seen. It has all been subjective and we all have our own tolerance for what is or isn't acceptable.

So I would want to make sure everyone considering an S is informed of it and check it before delivery. I suspect if you can feel it then, it will only get worse later. Doesn't really help you if it shows up really badly lately and wasn't there at the beginning. At the same time, I wouldn't tell people to not buy an S because of it.

Now if every S had it, and it was very severe (define severe), then I might do so. I've talked to other S owners on the street and they look at me like I have 2 heads when I ask them about it. The most common issue I hear from other owners is the issue of the front tires skipping when backing up and the surprising rear tire wear. Obviously they aren't forum members so I point them here to get more info.

I hope this thread will grow with concrete solutions to remediate the issue. I watch every new post even though my vibration is practically unnoticeable. If enough people have an issue, then maybe taking it to an attorney and starting a class action suit might move Tesla if it gets bad enough. I hope it doesn't get to that point.
Funny thing is, when I was working with Tesla on a buy back (at the time (Spring of 2022), they offered $127,000), they told me "they all do it....using the buy back money to buy a 2022 would likely result in having the same affliction. All of the S's on our lot currently have some level of vibration. Severity varies with each."

I've been loyal to Tesla since 2013 when the car was basically a beta tester and every single component was defective and replaced. I didn't complain.

But now, we are 10 years later, and the same rear tire issue exists and now this vibration which is increasingly making me look forward to the revised M3P as it seems that the only cars they know how to make that are practically flawless are 3/Y. There is simply no excuse for this vibration which makes the car feel unstable and is super annoying. I hope someone sues them because nobody is tweeting, nobody at Tesla reads these forums, nobody gives a damn. Meanwhile the Service centers lie to customers and tell them it's normal. FU%K THAT.

Stop gaslighting us Tesla.

Reactions: WilliamG and jebinc
Funny thing is, when I was working with Tesla on a buy back (at the time (Spring of 2022), they offered $127,000), they told me "they all do it....using the buy back money to buy a 2022 would likely result in having the same affliction. All of the S's on our lot currently have some level of vibration. Severity varies with each."
Interesting. My 2022 LR that I put almost 10k miles one never showed a hint of it. I never even bother reading the thread until I noticed it was about 30 pages long. I kept wondering what the fuss was about.

Then, in my Plaid, I never noticed either until a very slight uphill at part throttle at about 40 mph and I felt this very slight vibration and had the Eureka moment. This must be what everyone is talking about and it passed as quickly as it came. It was so minimal in my car I wouldn't have even posted about it and wouldn't have even thought about it if not for this thread. Then with the track pack brakes, I can't really seem to even reproduce it.

Hopefully, it doesn't get as bad as it seems like it could.

Reactions: bhzmark
Interesting. My 2022 LR that I put almost 10k miles one never showed a hint of it. I never even bother reading the thread until I noticed it was about 30 pages long. I kept wondering what the fuss was about.

Then, in my Plaid, I never noticed either until a very slight uphill at part throttle at about 40 mph and I felt this very slight vibration and had the Eureka moment. This must be what everyone is talking about and it passed as quickly as it came. It was so minimal in my car I wouldn't have even posted about it and wouldn't have even thought about it if not for this thread. Then with the track pack brakes, I can't really seem to even reproduce it.

Hopefully, it doesn't get as bad as it seems like it could.
You are lucky then....

Reactions: jebinc
Yeah, same. I've had three loaners that didn't have the vibration and drove another owners car that didn't have it as well. I'm guessing it isn't very common.
And I think quite the opposite. Every refresh S I've driven has had it. I've let people drive my S and nobody says anything, which just goes to show that tolerances for these sorts of things are wildly variable.

Reactions: mcirish
2023 August built. Not feeling vibration but honestly it's hard to isolate the road vibration upon acceleration. Unless you guys are referring to something that is so easy to notice, then I am not seeing any vibration. Still did not even a couple hundred miles on my car.
Mine didn't start until 3000+ miles in, so you might be good for now. You might also be one of the lucky ones that doesn't have it. It's a vibration in the yoke and pedal between 40 and 50 mph, under light acceleration, such as up a hill or even on autopilot.

There's also another vibration at 80+ mph in the yoke, but that could be a different problem.

And I think quite the opposite. Every refresh S I've driven has had it. I've let people drive my S and nobody says anything, which just goes to show that tolerances for these sorts of things are wildly variable.
Yeah, we don't have enough data points to know. I have tried really hard to get the three refresh 22+ model S and one model X that I drove to vibrate, and I couldn't do it. I feel it immediately in my car, though.

Yeah, we don't have enough data points to know. I have tried really hard to get the three refresh 22+ model S and one model X that I drove to vibrate, and I couldn't do it. I feel it immediately in my car, though.
Here is another data point.

My MS has been vibration free for two months!

But it has not moved in that time as I have been 8000 miles away.

Then with the track pack brakes, I can't really seem to even reproduce it.

Interesting. See post below from someone else who got the track brakes, with related special software, and also reports no more vibration:

So far I’m happy with the brakes and am happy with the SC being reasonable when it came to the aftermarket parts and at least giving me an option. As a bonus my cold start vibration that I’ve had since new, between 37-42 MPH during the first drive after sitting for a couple of hours, mysteriously went away with the brake install so the car is vibration-free now (miracles do happen!).

At least one other in the brake thread said the vibration went away after the track pack brakes and firmware.

Categorically no 37-55mph vibration.

At the same time, I wouldn't tell people to not buy an S because of it.

Yeah, same. I've had three loaners that didn't have the vibration and drove another owners car that didn't have it as well. I'm guessing it isn't very common.

Yep. Agreed. Thanks for expressing views. That is what the thread is for.

How much it bothers you is irrelevant

It’s at least as relevant as how much it bothers you.

You have your opinion based on your specific fragilities and proclivities are offended and suffering when someone else expresses another opinion. Got it. But don’t carry on. Try to offer something factual or informative.

I offer facts that other Tesla problems have generated more posts from more people and are more serious concerns and it really seems like the outrage in this thread, including counseling others not to buy, comes from just two fragile souls. I’m just pointing that out for the benefit of others to understand the context and the experience of others. Welcome to the marketplace of ideas — even if it causes you suffering.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: WilliamG and jebinc
Interesting. See post below from someone else who got the track brakes, with related special software, and also reports no more vibration:

At least one other in the brake thread said the vibration went away after the track pack brakes and firmware.

You have your opinion based on your specific fragilities and proclivities are offended and suffering when someone else expresses another opinion. Got it. But don’t carry on. Try to offer something factual or informative.

I offer facts that other Tesla problems have generated more posts from more people and are more serious concerns and it really seems like the outrage in this thread, including counseling others not to buy, comes from just two fragile souls. I’m just pointing that out for the benefit of others to understand the context and the experience of others. Welcome to the marketplace of ideas — even if it causes you suffering.
Just one question... How heavily are you invested in $TSLA?

• Funny
Reactions: AMPd and WilliamG

Aw that's cute. Thank you for being aware of my fragilities, I do appreciate that. I'm ever so fragile, so do be careful what you say.

I mean I have my opinion, that it sucks that these expensive cars have a tendency to vibrate at certain speed. You, uh... agreeing the car vibrates, seem to think it's not a big deal.

But, but, but... we both agree the car vibrates. YOUR CAR VIBRATES! So on the one hand, you're willing to give Tesla a pass on this because either (and we have been over this before, but you do need things to be explained oh-so clearly, so we'll do this again):

1.) You're so thick skinned (as opposed to my aforementioned fragility) that you don't notice it as much through your hands or feet.
2.) Your car doesn't exhibit it as badly.

I also like that you decided that only "two fragile souls" have this issue, neatly neglecting that tons of others here, on the Facebook Plaid groups etc have also been very vocal - far more vocal than myself or @jebinc have been - when it comes to this. Did you see that neither one of us was the first to report this issue?

As before, do carry on. You really are good for a laugh. Oh, and enjoy your vibrating car!

• Funny
  • Love
Reactions: AMPd and jebinc
Aw that's cute. Thank you for being aware of my fragilities, I do appreciate that. I'm ever so fragile, so do be careful what you say.

I mean I have my opinion, that it sucks that these expensive cars have a tendency to vibrate at certain speed. You, uh... agreeing the car vibrates, seem to think it's not a big deal.

But, but, but... we both agree the car vibrates. YOUR CAR VIBRATES! So on the one hand, you're willing to give Tesla a pass on this because either (and we have been over this before, but you do need things to be explained oh-so clearly, so we'll do this again):

1.) You're so thick skinned (as opposed to my aforementioned fragility) that you don't notice it as much through your hands or feet.
2.) Your car doesn't exhibit it as badly.

I also like that you decided that only "two fragile souls" have this issue, neatly neglecting that tons of others here, on the Facebook Plaid groups etc have also been very vocal - far more vocal than myself or @jebinc have been - when it comes to this. Did you see that neither one of us was the first to report this issue?

As before, do carry on. You really are good for a laugh. Oh, and enjoy your vibrating car!
Yes, comical indeed - and hence why I asked that poster, “just one more question…”. 🤣🔥

• Funny
Reactions: WilliamG
I’m trying to find videos of the issue but am not seeing a whole lot. How pronounced is it? If the car is cruising at the vibration speed, does the vibration stick around until it’s out of that range?
You can't see it, but you can feel it in the yoke and accelerator pedal. Yes, it sticks around until you let off the gas, speed up or slow down. It's present under light acceleration, so it's common in ordinary driving.

Reactions: jebinc