Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So….. I may be going a little nuts. For the last couple of weeks I have been hoping and thinking what I can do on my end to help my chances of getting my X sooner or getting any car while waiting. And it basically comes down to that it’s out of my control. I just have to wait

Then this morning before my alarm woke me up, I had a dream that I was one of Elon’s kids! Well, there you go. That will definitely help me get my X. But why did we take a family road trip but came out of a Ford truck?!!?!? 🤪🤪🤪

I have been on this board for a long time and say what I think. I have thick skin :)

I used EAP a lot when I lived in the Bay Area (and on the rare occasion I am in traffic on the freeway I will use it here). It's great in traffic and the surface street speeds are much lower there. So if you live in a congested place, it could work fine as it has more time to detect and process what is happening (though it still drives like a 16-year old the day they got their license). Where I live, 50mph surface streets are common. The car literally did not see that truck coming. I think Tesla is going to need a lot more processing horsepower and better (and better positioned) cameras to ever do this safely. Until then it is a party trick.
With the exception of auto lane change, the whole package is a party trick imo.... I wish Tesla would let me buy navigate on auto pilot with auto lane changing..... with that and the included autopilot I would be a happy camper.

So….. I may be going a little nuts. For the last couple of weeks I have been hoping and thinking what I can do on my end to help my chances of getting my X sooner or getting any car while waiting. And it basically comes down to that it’s out of my control. I just have to wait

Then this morning before my alarm woke me up, I had a dream that I was one of Elon’s kids! Well, there you go. That will definitely help me get my X. But why did we take a family road trip but came out of a Ford truck?!!?!? 🤪🤪🤪
What were you smoking last night?

plot twist! you are really Jim Farley's kid and you were having a dream within your dream that you were Elon's kid. EV inception.

I have been on this board for a long time and say what I think. I have thick skin :)

I used EAP a lot when I lived in the Bay Area (and on the rare occasion I am in traffic on the freeway I will use it here). It's great in traffic and the surface street speeds are much lower there. So if you live in a congested place, it could work fine as it has more time to detect and process what is happening (though it still drives like a 16-year old the day they got their license). Where I live, 50mph surface streets are common. The car literally did not see that truck coming. I think Tesla is going to need a lot more processing horsepower and better (and better positioned) cameras to ever do this safely. Until then it is a party trick.
I’ve had Beta not see cars on the left where the road is at a sharp angle and it’s hard to see, and pull out from a stop sign at the exact wrong time. So for sure they have to adjust for this and they will. I also have had the car in Beta swerve after starting to make a fwy lane change to the left and suddenly swerve back to the original lane when a car at around 100mph tore past on my left. I’ve also had the car, not even on NOA or Beta, swerve me back into my lane when i made an ill advised change to the left lane and a F-150 truck was bearing down on me in that lane.

So one incident can not tell the whole story. If people give you flak, it’s that.

Meanwhile we’ll soldier on helping improve Beta, because that has always been the plan, and help maybe one of the most monumental pieces of software ever to be developed, on its way. You’ll thank us later.

Last edited:
I can confirm that I changed my MXLR order (originally placed in August) to a six seater. The only change in pricing was the $6,500 upcharge for 6 seaters. Original pricing remained.

Also you can do this yourself without calling or emailing Tesla. The "edit-design" link still works, even though it is not available/visible on the order page.
Could you let us know how to go into that edit-design link? Saw that several pages ago and forgot how to do that.

I have no date at all. Just blank. They seem to have successfully put me on hold. I'm fine with that.

Summer with the S is awesome and I even changed my wiper blades myself so I'm good with waiting a bit.

As you all work hard on QA for FSD and the X refresh, I'll get one last summer with my sexy S until it's time to accept the boat.

Just give us EAP back. It’s the one thing I’ll miss from my 3
Agree. I had that in my 2018 X and it was more than enough for my driving. I want something that just makes it easier to change lanes, transition to from one highway to another, etc. The basic stuff you do on a highway/long road trip. I don't care if the system can drive me to the grocery store. EAP was the best $2K I every spent on a car.

Sorry that my wording wasn't clear. I do only use it on freeways and it sucks there, where it is supposed to work.

In other news, my hat's off to any of you that use FSD. Holy crap it sucks. A friend picked me up in his MY with FSD to go to lunch. At one point we were stopped at a red light and it needed to turn right. There was a truck doing 50 mph (the speed limit - this is out in the country) approaching from the left and had the green light. The car did not see it and it pulled out in front of the truck. My friend jammed on the brake and the truck was able to avoid us. But damn we almost died. Seriously. You could not pay me to use that POS.
I would strongly encourage Elon to look at the placement of the cameras from a first principles perspective. Where is the point on the car from which we can get the earliest useful signal / information for entering a street/merging onto a highway? The point that would be contacted first, ie the corners. As a practical matter, put a retrofit camera in the side portion of the headlights.

I.e. the car could be BETTER THAN a human driver (whose cameras are stuck in the driver’s seat).

Last edited:
That functionality disappeared months ago. It worked on our Plaid S that we took delivery of in August 2021 but not on the long range S that we took delivery of in December 2021. The option to enable it is no longer in the firmware and there's no longer any mention of it in the manual. I think it was removed because of accidental presses (even though it could be disabled). Also, I believe Elon mentioned that cars built since November have a horn button in the center of the yoke so we're probably just waiting for a software update to enable it. Maybe they will retrofit 2021 cars built before November and make the small horn button a pedestrian horn.

We have purchased multiple Teslas but with the Model S that we took delivery of in December 2021, we ran into the same poor user interface in the app. Shortly before delivery, I went into the app to see if the price had been adjusted correctly for the pre-refresh discount. When I backed out and went back in, the pay option was no longer there as the app had marked the $54k payment as having been made. It never asked for account information and just used the same account that had been used for our most recent purchase. The thing is, that account did not have a sufficient balance but Tesla showed the payment as being complete. We tried making multiple calls but nobody was able to cancel it and allow us to enter the correct bank account. We went into the bank the following day and were able to move money from one account to the other to cover it. Fortunately, the bank had covered the deficit and didn't even charge any insufficient fund fee. It is amazing that they don't have any prompt confirming payment. I mean I get prompted in fast food apps even when the charge is less than a dollar!

Latest ETA is still early May according to their website.

I believe it went up by $10k right after the refresh was announced. It looks like prices have gone up nearly $35k since we placed our order in 2020. You can see a record of price changes here: Tesla Car Price History
Yea but we had a member here that claimed he had the mats early for testing and was going to post pictures. Just forgot who.