Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got call from the sales center yesterday afternoon saying my car has been built, hasnt arrived in Irvine yet, but should be here monday/tuesday and I can pick it up Wednesday AM. They'll call to confirm things are ready. So hopefully my 15 month journey is almost over and my wife finally gets her 5 seater X.

Only hiccup I ran into so far... logged into the app to link my bank account to Plaid so I can pay. Figured I would go through things in advance so there would be no last minute surprises. Logged in, clicked "pay" to go through things and link my account. No issues, except after I linked it there wasn't an "exit" button, so I just quit the app. Then I logged back into the app to make sure I could see my account now. Went to the section to pay for my car and clicked "pay" like I had before. It pops up and tells me my car has been paid for.

Thought that was kinda odd... no confirmation asking if I want to pay, no nothing. The same button that brought me to the link my account, once my account was linked, with a single click, initiated the transaction.

I guess hopefully not a huge deal. Had the money ready. Just hope things go smoothly and i dont regret this in 2 days. Fortunately between the time I linked my account and paid for it, they had given me the $2k credit for being a pre-refresh customer.

Reactions: studioloft
they should allow FSD to transfer to your next car otherwise its too much risk to purchase. FSD on trade in is only valued about $2,500. They should also consider allowing you to use FSD across all the cars you own for a subscription (like Spotify). Until then, I will only pay for it as needed

And most insurance companies, for the purpose of totaled vehicles, value it at $0. Even KBB lists FSD as "Full Self Driving Capability" which all recent cars have whether they are subscribed or not. i.e $12K upfront or $200 / month. KBB doesn't care or distinguish between lifetime and monthly.

Last edited:
Got call from the sales center yesterday afternoon saying my car has been built, hasnt arrived in Irvine yet, but should be here monday/tuesday and I can pick it up Wednesday AM. They'll call to confirm things are ready. So hopefully my 15 month journey is almost over and my wife finally gets her 5 seater X.

Only hiccup I ran into so far... logged into the app to link my bank account to Plaid so I can pay. Figured I would go through things in advance so there would be no last minute surprises. Logged in, clicked "pay" to go through things and link my account. No issues, except after I linked it there wasn't an "exit" button, so I just quit the app. Then I logged back into the app to make sure I could see my account now. Went to the section to pay for my car and clicked "pay" like I had before. It pops up and tells me my car has been paid for.

Thought that was kinda odd... no confirmation asking if I want to pay, no nothing. The same button that brought me to the link my account, once my account was linked, with a single click, initiated the transaction.

I guess hopefully not a huge deal. Had the money ready. Just hope things go smoothly and i dont regret this in 2 days. Fortunately between the time I linked my account and paid for it, they had given me the $2k credit for being a pre-refresh customer.
you don't want to inspect the inside before paying? or does the Irvine SC not allow you to inspect the interior before payment? asking since i will eventually pick up my MXP at Irvine also

you don't want to inspect the inside before paying? or does the Irvine SC not allow you to inspect the interior before payment? asking since i will eventually pick up my MXP at Irvine also
I’m going to hold payment until they deliver it to me. I don’t particularly care about quality issues because, if there are any, they will take care of it/them. I do care about paying for the car and then not having it show up. Can’t wait…. 2022 MXP red/white. Ordered almost a year ago. We live in Chatsworth and they said that’s in their delivery area. Don’t know why but it makes me feel awful to have them deliver it. They said it’s just as easy for them as me picking up in Burbank. Can’t believe it’s finally here (well hopefully here Wednesday). Peace.

I wasn't originally going to do a trade-in, but I requested a quote and Tesla came in $1,200 below CarMax's quote. I'm guessing that when I do finally get a VIN it will be very sudden and that much like the stories I've read on here that they'll demand payment immediately. I figure that by the time I sell my car to CarMax, deposit that check, and get a new check made out to Tesla it might not fit in their ridiculous timelines. Also, what if I sell my car to CarMax and then they yank my VIN leaving me stranded with no car, or I get to the service center and find out that there are dealbreaker quality problems? I'll eat the $1,200 to avoid these headaches.

Hey folks!

Picked up the 2021 VIN on Friday - 11/2021 build date. Either I’m not that picky or I got lucky - this car is near flawless. I scanned the entire car before accepting (following the checklist) and couldn’t find anything wrong with it. I’m very happy with the 2021. Since Friday, the family and I drove it down to Florida. So I’ve already put 1000 miles on it. There are a few minor things I’m going to have the SC look at, but overall I’m loving it.

Interesting during pickup, the sales rep would not let me into the car without accepting. I thought this was odd. I think the person may have been new. I said no way, they asked their manager who open it up right away. I was talking with the manager a bunch about quality and what not. He said that since these are new models off the line, they get inspected by their techs instead of the standard SA review. I do believe they did a thorough review of the car. I’m getting the feeling that Tesla quality is very dependent on how good the SC is…

Coming from a Model 3, this thing is a lot bigger. It feels like I’m driving a tank in the clouds - very comfortable ride. I do miss the sporty feel of the 3 though. Being 6’5”, this is the first car I have full field of vision out of the driver’s seat - love the cockpit. The yoke took a little bit to get used to - overall it’s not a big deal either way for me. I prefer the yoke, but I feel like the yolk is better suited for a sports car, not a SUV. For highway cruising, my hand rests perfectly on the bottom of the yolk, better than a steering wheel.

Items that need attention:
- Passenger FWD sticks out a hair - cosmetically it doesn’t bother me, but I get wind noise at high speeds (75+)
- tow kit was missing the wiring harness. SC is sending it to me.
- one of the trunk LEDs is out
- driver side tweeter speaker might be blown or not seated right. It buzzes/rings when playing music loudly.

View attachment 787012
Congrats and have a great trip. What is your order date?

Reactions: techdoutdev
I think the number one thing you have to answer for yourself is whether FSD is worth it to you......Math-wise 12k is the equivalent of about 5 years of paying the monthly subscription... so if you keep your car longer than 5 years then it makes more sense to get the package (especially if you can still get it for 10K) On the other hand the subscription gives you the flexibility to turn it off whenever you want...

In my case I would only want it if I am going on a long road trip and want to use navigate on auto pilot and auto lane change.... other than that I have no use for it tbh... I don't think navigate on city streets is ready or useful enough yet to pay for it (this is just my personal opinion and others may feel differently). So my plan is to get the subscription a few months here and there to coincide with any long road trips. I also know myself all too well and I know that I get drawn in by shiny new toys... so in 3 or 4 years when Tesla does a re-design or updates battery tech significantly I'll be upgrading.
Certainly to each their own… for me, I would acquiescee that FSD is more like PFSD right now, where P is “Partial,” but it’s my observation that the Partial-ness is fading away.

I still routinely have to gently press the accelerator to initiate certain left turns and occasionally have to take over, but I just drove 70+ miles door to door last night with both city and highway driving, some pretty crazy traffic and turns, and basically it was like having a chauffeur drive me.

Not only was FSD really good, but also having FSD managing the basics definitely allows me to have FAR more surround / situational awareness than without.

I’m the kinda guy that likes working with imperfect things in development. If you’re looking for a completed product, a beta product is not for you. Like @mr-dmitry mentioned, yeah it sometimes wants to go over the center line on curves but that’s when I take over and it gets feedback… it’s a driver assist package right now…FSD Beta /= FSD. (And btw it’s doing better with curves and center lines).

Last edited:

Yup, doing the account linking pays for the car. If you bank was Plaid found, and you didn't do manual ACH, then it verified the funds as soon as you did the link and initiated the withdrawl. I'm not doing that until I've looked over the car. At the very least on the theory that cars that haven't been paid for will have fewer issues since you'll be less likely to reject if they already have your money.

He thought he was just linking the account and didn't know that would actually withdraw the money. Even Bruce thought that you could just link without paying.

I ACTUALLY DID link without paying. I've got a payment account configured in the app and a blue button that says "Pay". No withdrawal happened from the account I pointed it to.

Not sure why some other people are having a different experience.

Bruce.

• Informative
Reactions: sorka and KidsEyeDr
I just changed my seat configuration from 5 seats to 7 by emailing [email protected]. I will update the spreadsheet as soon as I find it again. I wanted to give a shout out to this group for the wealth of info. Without you I wouldn't have known Tesla would honor the original price.
My EDD still says July, same as it did with the 5 seat reservation. Come on 7 seats!

I just changed my seat configuration from 5 seats to 7 by emailing [email protected]. I will update the spreadsheet as soon as I find it again. I wanted to give a shout out to this group for the wealth of info. Without you I wouldn't have known Tesla would honor the original price.
My EDD still says July, same as it did with the 5 seat reservation. Come on 7 seats!
Waiting Room: Model X 7 Seat ONLY

Welcome!