Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Their quality control is crap. Take it from someone who is owned three now. Talk to anyone it inside the company and they’ll tell you it’s a complete *sugar* show. As soon as other companies start releasing compelling vehicles with similar range they’re in trouble.
Interestingly my TM3P had 0 quality issues and I couldn’t even find more than 1 panel gap issue (it was barely noticeable until an eagle eyed friend found it during deliver). I actually thought the car was fairly well built from everything I could tell. My 2019 MXLR though does feel a bit cheap for the price point, but I love the space and the ride. I think it’s best to dedicate a car for fun weekend canyon twisties, and use the MX to haul people/stuff and go on long trips. Great car and I can’t wait to get my hands on a refresh X; I expect it to have a build quality more similar (if not better) than my 18 TM3P.

Interestingly my TM3P had 0 quality issues and I couldn’t even find more than 1 panel gap issue (it was barely noticeable until an eagle eyed friend found it during deliver). I actually thought the car was fairly well built from everything I could tell. My 2019 MXLR though does feel a bit cheap for the price point, but I love the space and the ride. I think it’s best to dedicate a car for fun weekend canyon twisties, and use the MX to haul people/stuff and go on long trips. Great car and I can’t wait to get my hands on a refresh X; I expect it to have a build quality more similar (if not better) than my 18 TM3P.
We picked up our 2020 Model X at the end of 2019, barely squeezing in the tax credit. It looked really rushed with panel gaps all over and missing paint in spots. I would have declined it if it weren’t so close to the end of the year and we would have lost the tax credit.

Even with those issues it is/was a great car (it’s been in the shop since February when the lady in the school drop off line nailed the heck out of it).

" As soon as other companies start releasing compelling vehicles with similar range they’re in trouble."
As an early adopter I was happy with my 2014 Model S but assumed by 2018 or 2019 Mercedes, Porsche and BMW with their engineering teams and vast financial resources would have far better EVs available.
So I might have been uttering those same words 7 years ago.

Reactions: bhzmark and focher
My brother in law purchased a new MYP 2 months ago and only had one issue with a paint blemish that Tesla fixed last month. No panel gap issues.. Just had it wrapped in XPEL Stealth and the front windows tinted. Funny enough, he ordered his MYP after I put in the order for my MX. He even used my referral code. I guess my free miles are in limbo until my MX is delivered. I used to see his order in my inbox in the Tesla app but it's gone now.

Was scheduled to get my Model S Plaid tomorrow but more holds apparently
015DBD21-96C2-456D-A56F-30DB04A0AD42.jpeg

• Disagree
Reactions: Inflighttodd
Their quality control is crap. Take it from someone who is owned three now. Talk to anyone it inside the company and they’ll tell you it’s a complete *sugar* show. As soon as other companies start releasing compelling vehicles with similar range they’re in trouble.
I’m not denying Tesla delivers some cars with quality issues, but the new X will be the 4th Tesla we’ve bought (first X, 3P, and a 3 LR for my dad). The first X was flawless and remained that way for three years before returning it. The 3P hasn’t had anything either, and when I had it wrapped the shop said the paint and panels were all fine. My dad’s 3 had some minor paint issues which were fixed at the SC. We’ll see on the new X.

One thing is for sure for me. I don’t care if there are minor quality issues. I have no interest in alternative brands until their long distance charging problem is solved.

Elon had an all hands call tonight with all Tesla employees and doesn’t seem to be a single mention of the Model X. This really sucks

- cheap model 2 might be a no steering wheel, no pedal car which will be used exclusively for FSD

- new 24’ wall charger

- cyber truck won’t start production till 2022 deliveries in 2023

- he will go to Mars

- opening up charging network soon starting in EU

- Tesla signage on top of the new giga factory

all this BS but not a single mention of the X production status

Elon had an all hands call tonight with all Tesla employees and doesn’t seem to be a single mention of the Model X. This really sucks

- cheap model 2 might be a no steering wheel, no pedal car which will be used exclusively for FSD

- new 24’ wall charger

- cyber truck won’t start production till 2022 deliveries in 2023

- he will go to Mars

- opening up charging network soon starting in EU

- Tesla signage on top of the new giga factory

all this BS but not a single mention of the X production status
Maybe he meant “model X” when he said “cyber truck.” At least it’s starting to seem that way.

• Funny
Reactions: SteveinATX
I wouldn’t be that worried — there have been way more Model X sightings in the wild lately than Cybertruck sightings. Sure it’s delayed, but not by another year unless these crazy shortages drag on for another full year (which seems unlikely to me). I’ve actually been pretty encouraged by the handful of recent sightings like the dog in the X Plaid — those sightings have to happen before production starts, and I was somewhat pessimistic before they did, but now they’ve started.

My brother in law purchased a new MYP 2 months ago and only had one issue with a paint blemish that Tesla fixed last month. No panel gap issues.. Just had it wrapped in XPEL Stealth and the front windows tinted. Funny enough, he ordered his MYP after I put in the order for my MX. He even used my referral code. I guess my free miles are in limbo until my MX is delivered. I used to see his order in my inbox in the Tesla app but it's gone now.
I don't think Tesla is the kind of company that can handle building a car like Model X without significant quality issues.

And, judging by all the other companies that make complicated, fast, expensive large vehicles, nobody else really is either (BMW I'm staring directly at your turbos and wastegates and fuel systems and cooling systems and window regulators...and rod bearings and electric water pumps and ok maybe they'd be pretty good if they just made EV's). Body and trim is hard to get right, and it's where the humans interface with the car, and Tesla doesn't do it well enough yet on the X and S. It makes sense they'd get good on the 3 and Y first, they've made a lot more of them and it's a much less complicated car. Which is a good sign.

Last edited:
anyone that want to cancel their order should do so, there's really no need to threaten Tesla that you might cancel lol you either buy Tesla for their mission statement or you don't. sure its a 100K+ toy but if you got the money than shut up. seeing full grown adults with money complain is just pathetic. get a different car if you can't wait. its a waiting room for folks who are excited about their new toys, not a complaining room for rich a**hole that can't wait for Christmas morning. as for my case, I will wait as long as I possibly can and when I can't, I shall cancel and let the person who order behind me get a bump up in queue. thats all there is to it. just stop it with all the complaining, we already know Elon things going on. give a man a break and chill out. smoke some weed and relax lol

anyone that want to cancel their order should do so, there's really no need to threaten Tesla that you might cancel lol you either buy Tesla for their mission statement or you don't. sure its a 100K+ toy but if you got the money than shut up. seeing full grown adults with money complain is just pathetic. get a different car if you can't wait. its a waiting room for folks who are excited about their new toys, not a complaining room for rich a**hole that can't wait for Christmas morning. as for my case, I will wait as long as I possibly can and when I can't, I shall cancel and let the person who order behind me get a bump up in queue. thats all there is to it. just stop it with all the complaining, we already know Elon things going on. give a man a break and chill out. smoke some weed and relax lol
Umm, I didn’t realize I was buying a toy. Most of us here thought we were actually buying a car. You know, the kind that transports you to and from places.

Reactions: smetho and Vitaman
Tells people to stop complaining then proceeds to complain about people complaining..... You really can't make this stuff up.

I don't think Tesla is the kind of company that can handle building a car like Model X without significant quality issues.

And, judging by all the other companies that make complicated, fast, expensive large vehicles, nobody else really is either (BMW I'm staring directly at your turbos and wastegates and fuel systems and cooling systems and window regulators...and rod bearings and electric water pumps and ok maybe they'd be pretty good if they just made EV's). Body and trim is hard to get right, and it's where the humans interface with the car, and Tesla doesn't do it well enough yet on the X and S. It makes sense they'd get good on the 3 and Y first, they've made a lot more of them and it's a much less complicated car. Which is a good sign.
Judging by the Model S refresh delivery thread, Tesla has been doing a lot better with their quality issues. I haven't read about anything significant. A few panel gaps here and there and the 'snake' in the airbag seem to be the most common but those aren't significant. Seeing as the Model X is on the same platform as the Model S, I personally don't expect any big issues. A friend of mine has a 2019 Model X and he hasn't had any significant issues either. Still loves it and wishes he bought it sooner. That being said I do expect some people to have some issues. As long as Tesla fixes them, I'm good with that.,

Last edited:
Judging by the Model S refresh delivery thread, Tesla has been doing a lot better with their quality issues. I haven't read about anything significant. A few panel gaps here and there and the 'snake' in the airbag seem to be the most common but those aren't significant. Seeing as the Model X is on the same platform as the Model S, I personally don't expect any big issues. A friend of mine has a 2019 Model X and he hasn't had any significant issues either. Still loves it and wishes he bought it sooner. That being said I do expect some people to have some issues. As long as Tesla fixes them, I'm good with that.,
I had a moderate number of issues with my 2018 MX. But, I loved it. Best car I ever owned. Very much regret selling it in January, in anticipation of the refresh that was expected “soon” back then….

Reactions: lauraut and Kaos_X
Just had my wife’s model Y delivered yesterday - literally to the house. The car was perfect with no visible flaws and took 3 months from order to delivery. Asked if they feel my Plaid will be on time - they don’t seem to have any confidence and think it will happen sometime in 2022 (was June, now November). They have not delivered a single X for 2021, just 3’s and Y’s from the Oakville, ON location. They did say that deliveries in general seem to be happening in waves. For example, they had 60 vehicles one week and then 2 or 3 scheduled for the following week. They don’t think it’s all chip related and speculated possible assembly allocation for the European market.

Reactions: Vitaman