Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just venting here, but I’m getting extremely frustrated. The lack of any communication from Tesla regarding the X delays really is not acceptable. How do they think it’s okay to just not say anything at all?! It’s been months, multiple estimated delivery dates have been missed, and we still have not the slightest idea when the car might be delivered. Some people have leases and need to plan what we’re doing for our next car! I’m already on an extension of my 2018 X lease, but it looks like that will also be expired before I get the new one, which I ordered in January. And another extension at the same price really is not acceptable either. That would mean I’d have the car a year longer than I was supposed to, and longer term leases are supposed to be cheaper. Already, I’m paying more every month for my current X lease than I’ll be paying for the new X, so Tesla is already costing me extra money every month. If they want to extend it again, the price should appropriately reflect the value of the car after 4 years.

We’re paying over $100k for a car, and they apparently don’t think they owe us a damn thing. I think most of us are just asking for some tiny amount of customer service, but they don’t want to give anything. No update, no apology, no explanation, no reasonable timeline. All the while, they’re still making 3’s, Y’s, and S’s, so they must have some parts. Can’t imagine there’s that much difference in parts for the S and X regarding supply chain shortages. Instead of forcing everyone here to guess at why they aren’t making the car yet, or when they may actually start, would it be that difficult for them to just give us something more than silence?!

At the moment, there’s no real competition, as far as I’m concerned. Stuff maybe in the pipeline, but nothing coming any sooner than the X. However, once there is (if there ever is), they’re gonna be in trouble, because there’s currently no one else with customer service as poor as Tesla.

You love to tweet, Elon, so can’t you just tweet us a god damn update?

Just venting here, but I’m getting extremely frustrated. The lack of any communication from Tesla regarding the X delays really is not acceptable. How do they think it’s okay to just not say anything at all?! It’s been months, multiple estimated delivery dates have been missed, and we still have not the slightest idea when the car might be delivered. Some people have leases and need to plan what we’re doing for our next car! I’m already on an extension of my 2018 X lease, but it looks like that will also be expired before I get the new one, which I ordered in January. And another extension at the same price really is not acceptable either. That would mean I’d have the car a year longer than I was supposed to, and longer term leases are supposed to be cheaper. Already, I’m paying more every month for my current X lease than I’ll be paying for the new X, so Tesla is already costing me extra money every month. If they want to extend it again, the price should appropriately reflect the value of the car after 4 years.

We’re paying over $100k for a car, and they apparently don’t think they owe us a damn thing. I think most of us are just asking for some tiny amount of customer service, but they don’t want to give anything. No update, no apology, no explanation, no reasonable timeline. All the while, they’re still making 3’s, Y’s, and S’s, so they must have some parts. Can’t imagine there’s that much difference in parts for the S and X regarding supply chain shortages. Instead of forcing everyone here to guess at why they aren’t making the car yet, or when they may actually start, would it be that difficult for them to just give us something more than silence?!

At the moment, there’s no real competition, as far as I’m concerned. Stuff maybe in the pipeline, but nothing coming any sooner than the X. However, once there is (if there ever is), they’re gonna be in trouble, because there’s currently no one else with customer service as poor as Tesla.

He'll probably tweet back a meme of a doge with "wait and you shall receive"

Reactions: croman

I agree!!! I am about to picket at the Fremont plant.

I feel ya. I went to my local dealer today to ask if they have heard anything, they seem to be under the impression that nobody is getting delivery this year. They have been wildly wrong and poorly informed in the past so would take it with a large grain of salt. My EDD still says JAN, expecting a large shift backwards seeing some of the changes for people with a AUG EDD.

I feel ya. I went to my local dealer today to ask if they have heard anything, they seem to be under the impression that nobody is getting delivery this year. They have been wildly wrong and poorly informed in the past so would take it with a large grain of salt. My EDD still says JAN, expecting a large shift backwards seeing some of the changes for people with a AUG EDD.
I found out today that you can’t even call and speak with your local sales advisor anymore! At least around Oregon, calls to the local Tesla all route to a call center now. Of course, the guy I spoke with at the call center knew nothing and just said they’d update me when they got an update. He had nothing to say about august people being pushed back to December, or when they might actually announce anything. As for my current lease situation, he said that if I felt I had to go a different route, I should just do that, but maybe give it a month to see if they give any updates. So, useless.
My EDD currently still says this month, although that’s clearly not happening.

• Informative
Reactions: TrevTremaine

Why not just buy the car out of lease? Then when your x is finally here sell it.. you’ll probably make money

Reactions: TWENT2
Why not just buy the car out of lease? Then when your x is finally here sell it.. you’ll probably make money
Yep. I did the same thing. Given the insane used car market it’s often smarter to buy the car out of lease and then just sell it when you get the new car. Currently, I have about 10k of equity in my 3 year old Chrysler Pacifica. There’s no telling where the used car prices will go by the time the X is delivered, but I’d be shocked if this approach doesn’t end up being much cheaper than a lease extension.

Kind of throwing in the towel on the X. Not canceling the order but after ordering in January and being without a car now for 5 months, and “0” communication from Tesla, I am moving on and making other car arrangements. When it finally comes, if it ever does, I’ll make my decision then. It was originally for my wife but she is moving on to another vehicle. If the time comes and I decide to keep it, I would like a different color than my wife chose. Of course Tesla will not allow someone who has waited for 8 months (and counting), and had the price that was agreed to when ordered raised by $8,000 on them, to change their color without paying an additional $12,000. Great job Tesla. You are all about the customer experience 👍🏼

There's a "you've got to be kidding me" threshold at the 6-figure mark when things don't go right with a car. I think they've made a big tactical error pushing prices up before they've even delivered because the public beta will not be tolerated anymore, not to mention the weirdness for weirdness sake of the HMI on the new cars.

But maybe the fanboys are more loyal and numerous than I think they are.

Anyway, mine's still for sale but the price is now $105,000 and there's a curb mark on the left rear wheel since the last time I offered it for sale at $100,000 with 1000 fewer miles on it

Am I doing selling a tesla right

Great job Tesla. You are all about the customer experience 👍🏼
Yeah... they're 100% not about customer service. They're not about branding or reputation. They're about making great cars... and as they're still trying to work THAT out, they don't have time for the other stuff.

I think about it like Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. First, make a great car.... THEN figure out how to mass produce it... THEN worry about marketing/pr... THEN worry about customer experience... THEN worry about customer service... Obviously the order is just made up here, but the point is that they are still working on fit and finish... they're still working on accelerating production... they're still working on service centers... they're still working on that which makes them a reliable car company.

I think of it like Henry Ford's customer service in the early 1900s... "They can have any color they want, so long as it's black."

Reactions: Vitaman
I just looked at creating a Rivian R1S order instead of the X. But it looks like Rivian is in a similar situation to Tesla. The R1T keeps sliding month by month with little to no communication and R1S might start in January. They don't even have an EPA milage number yet. I think Tesla will be able to deliver my new X long before Rivian gears up their production line. I'm staying with Tesla.

I just looked at creating a Rivian R1S order instead of the X. But it looks like Rivian is in a similar situation to Tesla. The R1T keeps sliding month by month with little to no communication and R1S might start in January. They don't even have an EPA milage number yet. I think Tesla will be able to deliver my new X long before Rivian gears up their production line. I'm staying with Tesla.
I am a long-time Tesla driver, but I also have a reservation on a Rivian. At this point, I have ranted so much that I have lost the energy to rant more. In any case, you are correct in that their delivery dates have been sliding, but their communication is vastly better than Tesla‘s. It’s not great, but Tesla has lowered the bar so far that it is not very difficult to beat.

Rivian is going to be a winner, in my opinion. That said, if you order one today, you are probably correct: you may not get it any sooner than a Model X.

Reactions: Hebert
I'd totally rock an R1S and am looking forward to seeing and trying one in person. It's on the short list. Made in my backyard, and more capable than X for doing truck stuff. IT could potentially replace the X and the Tundra, in one vehicle. I'm a little skeptical they'll be able to get anywhere close to the highway range or charge network necessary for road-trippability I need from our CUV-thing. And it's even more unclear if there will ever be a use-case for towing a car hauler behind and EV for any real distance. But they aren't even launching with the biggest proposed pack size yet, and it's unclear of the R1S will get it, so, we're like a year+ from knowing anything substantial about the thing's true edge-case capability.

But it took me 8 years from debut of Model S for me to be convinced by Tesla...soooooo R1S V.3.0 will probably be out by the time I'm ready to make the leap, lol

Last edited:

I feel where you're coming from. However, there are many people in this same boat, and I'm not just talking about those waiting on Tesla orders.

The root cause is the global chip shortage. It's really serious. The pandemic has caused many factory closures in Taiwan and elsewhere, and the necessary chips just aren't getting made and delivered. The average car uses over 60 CPUs throughout the vehicle these days, and if you don't have them, you can't finish the vehicle. That's not even counting the other auxiliary support chips like CAN bus interfaces or memory.

The problem is so bad that Tesla has actually rewritten several parts of their vehicle software so that alternative chips can be used in some cases, a luxury that other automakers don't have.

GM and Ford have sent workers at several of their factories on furlough because they can't finish thousands of vehicles in the factory due to lack of chips. Sales for the quarter are likely to be down 20% or more across ALL automakers, not just Tesla. The problem extends well beyond vehicles too. Right now, you can't get a high end graphics card for a desktop gaming computer unless you want to pay thousands on eBay.

Check out the following video for a summary of the problem:

I'm as frustrated as you are -- I've had a new X on order since January, and I'm not getting it any time soon either. But we have to keep in mind that this really isn't Tesla's fault. Every automaker is in the same boat.

The one thing that Tesla is guilty of is the lack of communication -- they should be telling their waiting customers what the story is without us having to research and speculate on our own. That's a legitimate complaint.

What I am hoping is that the recent frequent sightings of these X's with dealer plates means that 1) Tesla sourced some alternative chips, 2) rewrote the software to use them, and 3) that these X's are now re-testing all of the vehicles' functions as a QC measure before they release them for production.

Last edited:
Yeah... they're 100% not about customer service. They're not about branding or reputation. They're about making great cars... and as they're still trying to work THAT out, they don't have time for the other stuff.

I think about it like Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. First, make a great car.... THEN figure out how to mass produce it... THEN worry about marketing/pr... THEN worry about customer experience... THEN worry about customer service... Obviously the order is just made up here, but the point is that they are still working on fit and finish... they're still working on accelerating production... they're still working on service centers... they're still working on that which makes them a reliable car company.

I think of it like Henry Ford's customer service in the early 1900s... "They can have any color they want, so long as it's black."
Their quality control is crap. Take it from someone who is owned three now. Talk to anyone it inside the company and they’ll tell you it’s a complete *sugar* show. As soon as other companies start releasing compelling vehicles with similar range they’re in trouble.