Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rebuilding wrecked 2015 Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

I recently acquired a front end wrecked Model S 70D, and am in the process of rebuilding it!

69h98Cc.jpg

The only code its showing is "Car needs service Contact Tesla service"

It had a the codes "Battery power very low" and "Car may not wake up, charge immediately to remedy" Due to sitting in the Lot vampire draining for along time.
Everything seemed to check out so I plugged it into 240v, and it had a problem where it would stop charging every 30 mins or so, but it seems to be working now.

So I guess my next step is going to be getting to the SRS module removing it and having it re-flashed. and then some frame fabrications and ordering body/front end parts.

Here is my problem, The map shows all the SuperCharging stations which leads me to believe supercharging is still active. But since the car is still under the previous owners name in Tesla's system, if i were to supercharge it would most likely charge him am I right?

I called Tesla Service and the lady said in order for me to get the car under my name I would have to fill out the document she emailed me (keep in mind I did not give here the VIN#) and upon reading the email, it requires me to send them a scan of the title, and I'm assuming this is where they will deactivate my SuperCharging when they see its a Rebuilt title?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I would love to know what anyone else's experience with a rebuilt Tesla and the SuperCharging.

Also if they do turn of SuperCharging, I've read about guys turning it back on. is this actually possible?

Thanks,
Carl

As far as supercharging, it’s a 2015 with the old fascia, it has free supercharging. The only worry there is the previous owner might get charged idle fees, which is also a low probability as I assume the old owner had the vehicle removed from their profile.

Good luck with the rebuild!

Reactions: CrazyCarl
Oh sweet! Thanks for the reply!

So I'm assuming I would have to set up that account and send them the info to be able to SuperCharge if the car has no payment info to bill to.

I'm just worried about them disabling it, does anyone know of any instances where they have turned off SC after setting up an account with a rebuilt car?

Thanks again!

I'm just worried about them disabling it, does anyone know of any instances where they have turned off SC after setting up an account with a rebuilt car?

They turn off all DC charging, CHAdeMO/Supercharging, as soon as they find out a car has a salvage title. Which sometimes happens before getting it setup in a new account, and sometimes after.

I have free super charging, Tesla does not have a credit card set up with me. Supercharging is allowed (or denied) by the car. It will work until Tesla turns it off. The only reason to set up an account is if you need to use the app.
If you have a key for it, I would suggest skipping the account. In this case, avoid idle fees absolutely; if the previous owner gets charged and complains, Tesla will for sure disable DC charging when they are told it's salvage.
If disabled, there are TMC members who can and will re-enable supercharging for you. They feel Tesla has no right to remove an option included in the original purchase price. I don't know much about it, it may depend on what firmware is installed; so I'd be cautious.

I have free super charging, Tesla does not have a credit card set up with me. Supercharging is allowed (or denied) by the car. It will work until Tesla turns it off. The only reason to set up an account is if you need to use the app.
If you have a key for it, I would suggest skipping the account. In this case, avoid idle fees absolutely; if the previous owner gets charged and complains, Tesla will for sure disable DC charging when they are told it's salvage.
If disabled, there are TMC members who can and will re-enable supercharging for you. They feel Tesla has no right to remove an option included in the original purchase price. I don't know much about it, it may depend on what firmware is installed; so I'd be cautious.

Okay thanks so much! How do you avoid idling fees (I'm very new to the whole Tesla's system) do you just unplug before its fully charged?

Okay thanks so much! How do you avoid idling fees (I'm very new to the whole Tesla's system) do you just unplug before its fully charged?
Either that or once you’ve finished charging.

Also I think there’s a thread about another user restoring a salvaged car that had its supercharging disabled and then enabled after they had the car inspected by tesla.
I’m gonna try to find that thread.

Tesla's policy specifically says it will be permanently disabled, even if you pay for, and pass, the HV inspection.

Oh okay thanks! Yeah I can understand Tesla's worry about liability ect.

But let's be real, if they're really worried then they should have it so someone like me can easily take it in for inspection to make sure it's safe. And heck maybe even have that particular inspection free so as to encourage safety.... if it really is about safety. But the way they're going about it is only going to cause people to go behind their back.

And coming from the aviation sector, we can buy a wrecked aircraft. Follow the proper guidelines from the 'manufacturer' and the 'administrator' (FAA). And have it recertified and flying.

In that case I’d keep the car away from tesla.

My thoughts exactly!

But let's be real, if they're really worried then they should have it so someone like me can easily take it in for inspection to make sure it's safe.

That you can. Though they do charge ~$500 for the HV inspection. If you pass they will work on the HV system, at your expense, and turn updates back on. Just no DC charging. (Which I think is stupid, sure they should be able to discontinue free supercharging, but you should be able to pay for it, or use CHAdeMO after they have certified that your HV system is OK.)