Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reasons to upgrade to 60kWh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is that inherent in EV cars or is that because the Volt doesn't use the same temperature maintenance that Tesla does?
The Volt does do battery maintenance but I do not know the details. They seem to be babying the pack in that it's a 16kwh pack but they use 10.4kwh. Of course it also depends on battery chemistry. Some do better at colder temperatures than others. One thing to help with your range is to pre-condition the cabin. See this Video on the Volt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZtgIsdZivk
where they say about 1/3 of the energy is used to heat the cabin. But if you pre-heat it you just need a little bit to keep it warm. So on those planned longer trips just be sure to pre-condition the cabin.

Is that inherent in EV cars or is that because the Volt doesn't use the same temperature maintenance that Tesla does?

40F doesn't affect the range of the Roadster much -- very little heat is required to keep the cabin comfortable at that temperature. When you go below freezing, it starts to become significant.
What we don't know is how much power will be required to keep the huge interior of the Model S comfortably warm.

Maybe an in-person demo/delivery at the dealer. Then once the paperwork is done, they schedule it to be shipped to you if you live far? When I asked at the NYC store, they were not yet sure what the deal was going to be.
In 2009, after confirming the paperwork on the deposit, I also asked the NYC store about delivery and received a similar reply. I would be thrilled to pick up at the store and drive home with kids in the rear facing seats. The $1950 delivery charge is better spent on adding another option. :biggrin: